226238 Bullies, 3684 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 32
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. SamuraiAssassin is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    24

    Posted On:
    3/17/2005 5:48pm


     Style: Wing Chun/JJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Fighting arts and credibility

    I posted this on another thread but I would like some fresh views on the topic.

    I have a serious question, is there another way to prove the applicabilty of a fighting art other then modern day competitions or video footage?

    By this I mean could there be proof in the history of the people who created it?

    The only reason I say this is because there are other fighting arts out there like Filipino art forms or Indonesian art forms. Filipinos fought off many countries by hand and stick and are famed for their knife fighting yet they have no roots in MMA competitions. THey have never had a serious contender in the UFC nor do I think their schools really care too (generalization). But does this make them inferior?
  2. Omega Supreme is offline

    Administrator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    22,988

    Posted On:
    3/17/2005 5:53pm

    staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiAssassin
    I posted this on another thread but I would like some fresh views on the topic.

    I have a serious question, is there another way to prove the applicabilty of a fighting art other then modern day competitions or video footage?

    By this I mean could there be proof in the history of the people who created it?

    The only reason I say this is because there are other fighting arts out there like Filipino art forms or Indonesian art forms. Filipinos fought off many countries by hand and stick and are famed for their knife fighting yet they have no roots in MMA competitions. THey have never had a serious contender in the UFC nor do I think their schools really care too (generalization). But does this make them inferior?

    Wrong forum.

    You're an idiot.



    Welcome to bullshido now wipe your ass, I mean face.
  3. dramaboy is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,577

    Posted On:
    3/17/2005 6:01pm


     Style: -

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiAssassin
    I posted this on another thread but I would like some fresh views on the topic.

    I have a serious question, is there another way to prove the applicabilty of a fighting art other then modern day competitions or video footage?

    By this I mean could there be proof in the history of the people who created it?

    The only reason I say this is because there are other fighting arts out there like Filipino art forms or Indonesian art forms. Filipinos fought off many countries by hand and stick and are famed for their knife fighting yet they have no roots in MMA competitions. THey have never had a serious contender in the UFC nor do I think their schools really care too (generalization). But does this make them inferior?
    Yeah, I think the applicability of a martial art can be proven by what somebody said that he heard from somebody that it like really happened in the past and how it was sooo awesome. I think you are like totally right.

    Tomas :sleepy2:
    Current stage of death: denial
  4. SamuraiAssassin is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    24

    Posted On:
    3/17/2005 6:15pm


     Style: Wing Chun/JJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the idiot comment, give me a little room here i am new to this.
  5. HAPKO3 is offline
    HAPKO3's Avatar

    Marasmos

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    SF
    Posts
    4,054

    Posted On:
    3/17/2005 6:17pm

    supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The credibility of a fighting art is measured by the ability of it's practitioners to kick ass. Period. Nothing else matters.
    You say what about my rice?
  6. Omega Supreme is offline

    Administrator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    22,988

    Posted On:
    3/17/2005 6:18pm

    staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiAssassin
    Thanks for the idiot comment, give me a little room here i am new to this.


    :booty:

    bwahahahahah, I'm razzing you because I'm Filipino and I've done Kickboxing and MMA and your new.
  7. SamuraiAssassin is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    24

    Posted On:
    3/17/2005 6:32pm


     Style: Wing Chun/JJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HAPKO3
    The credibility of a fighting art is measured by the ability of it's practitioners to kick ass. Period. Nothing else matters.
    SO by this you mean fight in a competition and that is how you judge an art or style on functionality? Or how it's practicality expressed in street combat or self defense?

    Are those competitions the tell all and all?

    I think so too if the people can kick ass then they can kick ass. There are inherently good fighters out there...but would you need it proven to you by way of prize matches or is reading about the forms or the style, the history of the people and the techniques used be good enough find out on your own?

    I know we talked about the dog brothers so what about the indonesian arts like silat are they functional or percieved less functional due to the lack of modern evidence?
  8. Omega Supreme is offline

    Administrator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    22,988

    Posted On:
    3/17/2005 6:49pm

    staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiAssassin
    SO by this you mean fight in a competition and that is how you judge an art or style on functionality? Or how it's practicality expressed in street combat or self defense?

    Are those competitions the tell all and all?

    I think so too if the people can kick ass then they can kick ass. There are inherently good fighters out there...but would you need it proven to you by way of prize matches or is reading about the forms or the style, the history of the people and the techniques used be good enough find out on your own?

    I know we talked about the dog brothers so what about the indonesian arts like silat are they functional or percieved less functional due to the lack of modern evidence?

    Dan Inosanto.
  9. IzzyDaHedgehog is offline

    Didn't so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ooooooklahoma!!!
    Posts
    1,591

    Posted On:
    3/17/2005 7:57pm


     Style: Ex-TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiAssassin

    is reading about the forms or the style, the history of the people and the techniques used be good enough find out on your own?

    Not really, because:

    1. History lies. It could be that the records of the style are exaggerated, the eyewitnesses were unreliable, or whatever else. The historical accounts could even be entirely made up, as many have accused Stav (some Nordic MA) of doing.

    2. Now is not then. What worked back then wouldn't necessarily work now, different circumstances. A style invented to get troops in medieval China in shape and teach them some basic battlefield stuff might not translate well into a MMA setting.

    3. The people might not have anything to do with it. Most formerly warlike and badass peoples (Celts, Teutons, Norsemen, Mongols) don't have a strong warrior tradition anymore and wouldn't necessarily know how to fight well.

    There's probably more too.
    sudo make me a sandwich!
  10. Kungfoolss is offline

    I restore the Balance

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Sunny Hawaii
    Posts
    4,972

    Posted On:
    3/17/2005 8:22pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: I wear pants

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiAssassin
    Filipinos fought off many countries by hand and stick and are famed for their knife fighting yet they have no roots in MMA competitions.
    Fought off? I don't recall the Filipino's doing this in the 1940's with the Japanese and not without the American's help. Ditto for 1898 when it came to the Spanish, contrary to myth, sticks and knives don't win wars.
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.