228141 Bullies, 4892 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/31/2005 2:19am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Collegeshido?

Anyone want a degree in Homeland Security?

Try this place:

http://www.apus.edu/amu/national-sec...?source=google

Is this for real? Anyone know anything about it?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2005 9:40am

Style: The Jits & Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They are an accredited institution through the DETC which makes them legit I would suspect. I think that they just picked shitty names for their degrees.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/31/2005 10:59am

supporting member
     Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

seconded

THis is a link from ERIC, the info clearinghouse of the US Dept. of Education about American Public University System, of which Amer. Military university is a sub-section.

accreditation information

They are legal, in the sense that they are licenced by WVa. to grant degrees. But it looks like a tarted-up clown college to me.
    I dork harder than any of you can imagine.

- Hedgehoney

Posted On:
    3/31/2005 12:29pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's what I figured. I've always wanted to formally study international relations and related subjects, but don't have the time. I guess if I wasn't looking to apply it to a career path, it wouldn't matter if they were fully accredited, but on the other hand, I wouldn't want to waste money on it if it was substandard.

Posted On:
    3/31/2005 12:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    Anyone want a degree in Homeland Security?

Try this place:

http://www.apus.edu/amu/national-sec...?source=google

Is this for real? Anyone know anything about it?

This is legit (at least as far as any AMU degree is). AMU is not alone...see schools in atttached link.

http://www.the-college-search.com/ho...-security.html

How much weight do these carry? Probably not much for an undergrad. If you are a LEO or experienced military person who earned these degrees as part of ongoing professional educations, then they probabaly carry a lot more weight.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2005 12:52pm

Style: Kouhiijitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's what I figured. I've always wanted to formally study international relations and related subjects, but don't have the time. I guess if I wasn't looking to apply it to a career path, it wouldn't matter if they were fully accredited, but on the other hand, I wouldn't want to waste money on it if it was substandard.
    Actually, it can matter if they aren't accredited; when they pull your background when you're a candidate for a job, part of that background check includes the legitimacy of your college degree, because way too many yahoos have come in claiming a masters/PhD/whatnot. If your institution isn't accredited, it won't show up when they search for your school, and a degree from a 'degree mill', which has no ties to any professional organizations[1], is going to be a Big Negative Mark against you.

Of course, you could pull the 'foreign university' bit (harder to verify), but this will bring up questions during the interview, so you'd better have solid knowledge backing you up.

ObDumbassStory: I rememeber that, a few years ago, an interviewee tried to claim that he had the equivalent of a masters' degree in CS from a German university where he had studied for seven years. I also remember that the inverview stopped shortly after I switched to speaking in German. He also claimed mastery over UNIX, but didn't know what the 'less' command did. *sigh* Why are people so stupid?

Keep in mind I'm speaking as an interviewer here. :)

[1] Thinks like the ACA, the AMA, and so on nominally require a degree from an accredited institute of higher learning for membership

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/31/2005 12:54pm

supporting member
     Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A guy as smart as you could do better and not have to pay private college prices. There are pretty cheap on-line courses from decent universities that you can take and you wouldn't even need to progress toward a degree. You could just take them. Or audit courses at a local school, which is also either cheap or free.

PM me for more. I can give you some good leads.

I dork harder than any of you can imagine.

- Hedgehoney

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2005 12:55pm

Style: Kouhiijitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by punchingdummy
    This is legit (at least as far as any AMU degree is). AMU is not alone...see schools in atttached link.

http://www.the-college-search.com/ho...-security.html

How much weight do these carry? Probably not much for an undergrad. If you are a LEO or experienced military person who earned these degrees as part of ongoing professional educations, then they probabaly carry a lot more weight.
    I'm a big believer that ANY degree without real-world experience isn't worth very much, except to get into an entry-level position. Too many yahoos who think that their BA in Business alone is going to get them a job as a CEO (without connections from mommy and daddy).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2005 1:17pm

Style: The Jits & Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As long as the institution is accredited, the degree is good. However, a person may or may not be qualified for a particular position. Evaluating that is also the job of the interviewer and based on the needs of the company. As for the international degrees, the U.S. Government requires their candidates to get their international credentials evaluated by an independent consulting firm on their approved list of international credential evaluation firms. These firms specialize on finding out if the requirements of the particular international school attended meet the U.S. Post Secondary Education standards.
    :thumbsup:

Posted On:
    3/31/2005 1:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...the worth of these degrees is really determined by (a) personal goals/life situation and (b) the type of work someone is looking to do.

(a) For the most part, education is better than no education. Some people just find themselves in circumstances that make traditional education very difficult. For some of our military folks who are constantly on the move, this is a great option. For the single mom who has a hard time getting out of the house (but can invest time each evening after the kids are asleep), this can be a great option. Unfortunately, it can also be a great option for the average or below-average student who could not get into a school of choice or who doesn't have the balls to push him/herself to make it work.

(b) Let's face it: online degrees are generally discounted by recruiters. If you have an otherwise great background and a good story (such as the soldier who busted his chops to earn a degree while being deployed all over the globe) then the discount becomes irrelevent. However, many employers look at these degrees as an indication that you couldn't make it in a more difficult academic environment. You are not going to be able to compete well with other candidates from elite institutions who are chasing the same DHS, CIA, DOJ, etc. job. However, if you have already established bonafides (such as a tour with a SEAL team, a big city ESU/SWAT unit, SF A-det, etc.) then these degrees are a great way to continue your professional education become even more competitive against all the other Sooper/Delta/SEAL/Recon/Sniper types.

Would I hire a AMU graduate? Absolutely! But there needs to be a good story as to why he/she is a better candiate than the established university candidates also applying for the position.

(Actually, the last manager I hired had a Master's degree from an online institution. But she also had the LEO background and exact corporate experience I was looking for).
    Last edited by punchingdummy; 3/31/2005 1:44pm at .