Posted On:
    3/15/2005 9:24am

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    Is this gi or no-gi?
    Gi.
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    3/15/2005 9:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KenpoDude
    Switch to arm scissor.
    What's an arm scissor? Is that the same as a bicep slicer? When I couldn't break the grip I used to just put one arm under and go for the slicer, but they are illegal for white belts in the competition I'm entering, so I have to learn something new...
    Last edited by PoleFighter; 3/15/2005 9:30am at .
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/15/2005 9:35am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're pressing on the far elbow with the inside leg and the guy still won't let go, you can shoot your foot all the way through his arms, so both feet are next to his head. Let your outside leg come off his head to encourage him to sit up. Close the triangle as he does so. If you catch him before he can get to his knees, you can push him back down and get a triangle-armbar combo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2005 9:47am

Style: bjj and hitting stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by supercrap
    Use one of your legs and shove the crook of his elbow with your foot. That'll soon break his grip!
    This is true, but make sure you never move your leg off of their head/neck. Always keep that leg in place to keep them pinned to the floor, preventing them from sitting up and getting out of the sub.

Here are a few things you can try:

-Keep the leg across their head/neck, and move the foot up into the crook of their arm and kick to break their grip.

-Keep the leg across their head/neck, move your other foot like you are trying to kick their grip open (like above) to bait them a little, after you have baited them, shoot that leg through their arms and pull them towards you. Your legs are now in the perfect position to lock in the triangle. You won't be in the optimum position to tap 'em, so make sure to pull down on the head and really shoot up your hips for a strong finish. (edit - same tech as Aeso above)

-Keep the leg across their head/neck, but this time we'll attack their wrists. Generally you'll only catch noobs on this, but since it works so well I figured I'd list it. If they have on hand grabbing the wrist of the other hand, leaving the "other hand" free, you can use one of your hands to bend that wrist forward which forces them to break their grip. It is basic, works for either hand, but like I said generally you'll only catch noobs with it.

-Keep the leg across their head/neck (as always!) and slowy adjust your grip on their arms so that one of your wrists (I prefer the "inside" arm away from their head) is inside the crook of their arm. After the hands are adjusted, bring the inside leg (leg away from their head) up so that it is laying across the defenders gripped hands, you might need to grab your foot with one hand in order to bring your leg up depending on your flexibility level. We are going to break the rule about moving our leg off their face just for a second, so that we can hook it over the the ankle of our now crossed leg, creating a "triangle" with our legs over the defenders arms. With our feet in place and our wrist in the crook of their elbow, push down with your legs, shoot up your hips, and pull back with your arms. Bicep Slicers are very, very uncomfortable and sometimes can be a submission by themselves. Also note that in many tournaments they are illegal.
    Last edited by Kidnemo; 3/15/2005 9:50am at .

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    3/15/2005 9:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys. I've had a couple of guys try to triangle me from an armbar, and frankly, it has never worked (the triangle was easy to escape, so in the end they just lost the mount) so I think I'm putting off that one for a while untill I'm a bit better. The third tech Nemo listed seems to be what I'm looking for. I'll try it on wednsday.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/15/2005 10:12am

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Come on now, you can never try too many triangles.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/15/2005 10:24am

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One aspect to consider is the actual grip of their hands. If you understand how they are gripping, and where the grip is weakest, y you can attack it directly. It's a little too intricate for me to put into words at this moment (in any way that would make sense in text) but you should get with your instructor and see if he can show you how to attack the grip of the hands directly.

OK, I guess I'll give a quick example. So they have a Gable grip, where they are grabbing their hands together, fingers over thumb. You hug their arm with your outside arm, and you bring the forearm of your inside arm up against their hands. Roll towards their head then arch back, whipping their arm up and out, while driving your forearm into their grip. This will unpeal the their hands and break the grip, giving you the armbar.

There are ways to attack all the grips directly, and it's often easier than all the kicking and yanking.
    Last edited by Aesopian; 3/15/2005 10:34am at .

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    3/15/2005 10:40am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are ways to attack all the grips directly, and it's often easier than all the kicking and yanking.
    As a self described whiz at defending armbars, I'd agree that this is key.
    It is often pretty easy for them to defend their grip, but if you stay tight, you'll have all the time in the world.
    If you allow any space and they get their elbow to the ground, you're done (well not really, but close). Not giving them any room is the best way to protect the sub attempt (and keep them from sitting up). Do that and you'll eventually get the bar.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    3/15/2005 10:41am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh yeah. And: wrist locks.

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    3/15/2005 10:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One aspect to consider is the actual grip of their hands. If you understand how they are gripping, and where the grip is weakest, y you can attack it directly. It's a little too intricate for me to put into words at this moment (in any way that would make sense in text) but you should get with your instructor and see if he can show you how to attack the grip of the hands directly.

OK, I guess I'll give a quick example. So they have a Gable grip, where they are grabbing their hands together, fingers over thumb. You hug their arm with your outside arm, and you bring the forearm of your inside arm up against their hands. Roll towards their head then arch back, whipping their arm up and out, while driving your forearm into their grip. This will unpeal the their hands and break the grip, giving you the armbar.

Thank you. This type of thinking is exactly what I was looking for.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast