Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2005 1:30am

Style: Muay Thai/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My first Muay Thai Class

I attended my first Muay Thai Class tonight. My teacher is 2 time canadian champ Gasper Bonomo. Class Started out with light cardio, side-stepping, backwards running, sissor step, and jogging. This was short only like 10 min. Some light stretching, nothing new here same as TKD but no ground stretching.

Worked the jab for ten min. Coming forward and retreating. Worked the cross, some combinations of 2 jabs coming forward cross, 2 going back then cross. This is all nothing new yet. Then came Elbows rear hand then lead hand. Lead hand was different than I've been taught to throw in. Weight on the back foot, before I'd step out like a hook. Then uppercut elbow.

Then Knees, Straight knees. Did a Rear elbow, lead elbow, uppercut, two knees. That was fun, found it hard to get my rhthym with the knees at first, but I got it.

Break- Teacher came up and told me I was picking it up real quick, told him I teach TKD. He said that cool and it's always good to add to your repitiore(SP?). Checked out two hot sisters, best part of the class.

Then came push kick, basically a front leg snap kick. Then added the up kick, Like a front axe kick. Then did a combination with the two and the jab. Sidekick was next, same as TKD. Then RH, not much difference from power RH in TKD. Even was told to use the instep or shin. Then did jab, push kick, RH, sidekick then Upkick.

That was pretty much it then we hit some really crappy Wavemaster. Partner drill where you each kick opposite sides at the same time (same as TKD but the kicks were lower). They held the bag too since it sounded like they were going to break when I hit it.

Did Some Ab drills nothing new here either. Then floor stretching. That was it 1 and a 1/2 hours. It was real hard but I was puking all day from the flu. I can't say that I learned too much new stuff but it was refreshing to use techniques that I don't get to train enough. It was fun and a good class I'll stick with it.
    Last edited by FCTKD; 3/15/2005 1:34am at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/15/2005 5:35am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting, seems to be taught differently to my class. 9 minutes skipping with heavy stretching, we spend most of our time working on round kicks and punching combinations on pads. If your push kick is basically a snap kick then it's different to the one I'm learning.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/15/2005 5:41am

supporting member
     Style: Kickboxing/MT/some BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FCTKD
    I

Then came push kick, basically a front leg snap kick. Then added the up kick, Like a front axe kick. Then did a combination with the two and the jab. Sidekick was next, same as TKD. Then RH, not much difference from power RH in TKD. Even was told to use the instep or shin. Then did jab, push kick, RH, sidekick then Upkick.

Side kick in Thai Boxing? this sounds like some cross over 'Kickboxing - Thai Boxing' you're learning.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/15/2005 8:14am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So TKD=MT.
    "The next one I will take will pay for my loss. Someone has to pay!" ~ The Axe Murderer

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2005 10:40am

Style: MT, BJJ, VT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Foot-Jabs (Teeps) are NOT front snap kicks. If you treat them as such, you will never be able to use them effectively, IMO. While you can use it to entice/annoy an opponent, it's main utility is to push the opponent away; not hunt and peck (I have studied TKD and GJ Karate as well as MT). Dunno if you do this, but you also need to swivel your hips into the kick in order to extend your reach and also throw weight into it --great ablique/ab workout too.

Also, we'd do a lot of skipping, sparring, Thai drills and callesthenics.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2005 10:44am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well the push kick is very different from the TKD push kick. Imagine a lead leg front snap kick without much chamber. The up kick is like a straight leg axe kick swinging your leg up and hitting your heel under the chin, upward force instead of downward. Didn't spend too much time with the round kick so It seemed very similar. And yes I think it is a Kickboxing muay Thai hybrid.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2005 10:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    next class we are going to focus a little more on the hooks and body shots.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2005 11:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FCTKD
    And yes I think it is a Kickboxing muay Thai hybrid.
    Has to be... I trained at an extremely authentic Thai-style camp and we did not train like that. They actively discouraged me from making TKD and Karate kicks, which I was in the habit of doing when I started.

DO NOT LISTEN TO ME

Posted On:
    3/15/2005 11:53am

Style: Kickboxing/Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you guys have sparring there?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2005 12:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am assuming you mean him, right? I had sparring after every class and really whenver if there was space (i.e. other classes, etc).
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast