[This space for rent]

Posted On:
    3/14/2005 10:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bleeding Noses

Today while working defence with my partner (trading punches a few times, took a few good straights to the face) my nose started dripping, now it wasn't just a small drip, I managed to get my right shirt sleeve rather covered with blood and my left shirt sleeve lightly dampened with it.
    In between rounds I would jog to the sink, spray a big wad of blood and mucus combination into the sink and than try to manipulate the cold water with my 16oz gloves to try to get water running, at which point I stuck my head under the sink and tried to suck up water with my mouth and spit it out to clear the bigger splats of blood, neverminding the ton of little drops of blood on the surrounding sink.
    Also, when I put my head under the sink the water went around my nose and it looked like I had a little hose stuck in my nose when the water mixed with the blood, pah.

Anyways I was wondering if anyone had any advise for stopping blood sprayage. It's always coming from my right nostril, my left one doesn't bleed much, if at all, apparently. I'm icing my nose right now (15 mins on, 15 mins off) and I was told to 'manipulate' the end of my nose by rotating it to help adjust the cartiliage or something.

It didn't hurt at all, anyone reading my training journal will realize that one of my big 'things' right now is learning how to deal with punches to the face/head.
    Of course, having 3 days off as well as playing Fight Night 2004 Round 2 gave me some ideas (and hey, rushing my opponent with slugging punches actually worked). But this is ridiculous, I'm only really worried about 3 things with this whole nose bleed thing.

1) During my fight, it may be stopped due to big bleeding (god that would suck)
    2) It's an indication my nose may break?
    3) It may spurn my opponent on by giving him encouragement to see my blood drippin' outta my nose in those moments of extreme fatigue I'm likely to experience.

Anyone's advise? tips?
    I've already heard 'keep your hands up and protect your face' thankyouverymuch.
    I'll take a webcam picture next time I'm leaving drops of blood on my opponents gloves.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/14/2005 11:00pm

Style: cheating at solitaire

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    dont they sell bleeding stop powder or something?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/14/2005 11:00pm

Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    some people (like me) are just prone to getting bloody noses. they usually dont hurt much, they are just a pain in the ass. in a boxing match there isnt really a lot you can do. i suppose you could plug your nose, but that would prohibit breathing, a lot. If you add water or keep blowing your nose, it wont be able to clot, so that might not be the best plan.

if blood is pouring i wouldnt be suprised to see a fight stoppage, because you could passout from blood loss.
    and a bloody nose doesnt mean its broken, usually. it seems to take a lot to break someones nose with 16 oz gloves on

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2005 6:19am

Style: Kali/Jun Fan/CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Déjà-vu...
    Anyway: I used to be VERY susceptible to nosebleeds (What a nice summer day! Oh look, 27 degrees Celsius. Pop! goes the blood vessel) which was rather annoying during MT class. I tried all the usual solutions with minimum results so I went to a doctor who handed me some ointment (can't recall the name) which I had to put up my nose for 3 months to "reinforce my veins" . Haven't had a problem since.

In short: go see a doctor, preferably one who receives other MA'ists as well.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    3/15/2005 9:54am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My boxing coach showed me this years ago. No idea how the hell it works, but it'll stop the bleeding. Pinch your nose shut with your left hand and lean a little bit forward, then use the edge of your right hand to tap lightly at the very base of your skull where it meets the neck. Do it for about 30 seconds, and check it. If it's still bleeding, do it again. It usually stops within 1-3 times. Don't ask me how it works, but it works pretty well, at least for me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2005 10:10am

Style: -

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've always gotten nosebleeds very easily as well.

One Ear Nose and Throat doctor told me that you can use Afrin (the nasal spray that's used to clear congestion) to stop a bad nosebleed. It constricts the blood vessels. Just clear as much blood out of the nostril as you can and then pump a few shots of Afrin up the bleeding nostril. You probably should try not to do this too often, and I'm not sure if it would cause problems to use it during heavy physical activity. You might want to ask a doctor before trying it in the middle of a competition or heavy sparring match.

Another doctor told me that many of my nosebleeds were caused by cuts inside my nostril from dry, cracked skin, especially during the dry winter months. I started putting nasal saline gel into my nose 2-3 times per day and it's helped a LOT in preventing nosebleeds. It's called "Ayr", and you can buy tubes of it in most drug stores. Depending on what's causing your nosebleeds, this may help you.

If they continue, you should go see a doctor who specializes in the Ear Nose and Throat. They may be able to cauterize a blood vessel to stop the bleeding, or at least give you advice on how to minimize it (other than keeping your guard up!)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2005 10:11am

Style: Kali/Jun Fan/CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But I think that's pretty hard to do in the middle of a round...

Edit: Ack got in the way...this post is a response to Koto
    Edit2: Though Ack's post is useful. And Ayr is the gel I was thinking of.
    Last edited by Otaku Waffle; 3/15/2005 10:19am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2005 10:14am

Style: -

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Geijhan
    But it could help between rounds, or if you catch one during practice and want to stop the bleeding quickly so you can continue.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    3/15/2005 10:37am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Geijhan

Edit: Ack got in the way...this post is a response to Koto
    Edit2: Though Ack's post is useful. And Ayr is the gel I was thinking of.
    Not really, it only takes 30 seconds so while one of your cornerman is taking care of you and doing that, the others can check your wraps, give you your water, fix cuts, drain fluids, whatever.

Government overthrows you!

Posted On:
    3/15/2005 10:58am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had both nostrils cauterised a couple of years ago and haven't had a nosebleed since. I'm not sure how well cautery defends against being punched in the face though. Probably worth doing if you can get it sorted out.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast