Page 6 of 56 FirstFirst ... 23456 7891016 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2005 7:30am

Style: Taijutsu, Army Combatives

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Again, the original post, if you read it did not even talk about training in the combt system. It talked about training in such a manner.

Again, if you read it, one of my examples was from before I entered the military (actually, I'm not sure if that's entirely clear, but the two non-military examples are just that), and the other was training for a raid on a building.

My point here was to talk to people wo attempt to bash demonstrating something slowly, or state that if you're not always going full speed and full force that you're not training properly or that you get nothing from it. I was pointing out that the military, which trains for combat, which can be compared to hand to hand combat (in that it is fast paced, unpredictable, and life-threathening), does not ALWAYS train at full speed, with full force, using real rounds, or wearing full equipment. More often than not, you have to train slowly.

For every fight you see, whether it's boxing, grappling, or MMA, every five minutes is backed by countless hours of training. Every 25 minute West Point parade has 2 hours a day for 4 days behind it. Every small video of combat that you download, has months of battle drill practice.

Here's a question for those of you who teach, whether as a sensei or just when you teach someone you train with: when you want to show them something for the first time, in a manner in which they will take away the concept, do you do it really fast, of do you break it down and even talk your way through it? Now, I'm not talking about a MA demo. I'm talkng about doing it so that if you were trying to convey an idea or concept, that concept or idea had the greatest possible chance of being picked up by those viewing it.

A quick point for those who still talk about the "does the bujinkan teach grappling" question, if you read the first post, it talks about when it started being stressed more (for a better time reference, it was around 1998), why it is being stressed more, and how there were a handful of things that were shown (mostly throws and controls, which were shown at the upper ranks), but nothing on the level of 3-5 minute rounds for an hour while switching opponents. OUR primary art was taijutsu, which is a stand up art, and we did some grappling. Some of us are good at grappling. I'm kind of mediocre, but I've choked out my share of people. Seeing as how a lot of us like to cross train, you're not going to get pure taijutsu, depending on who you learn from.

If I started teaching, you'd be getting a bit of Krav Maga. My shidoshi stressed leg strength a lot. He previously trained in Shotokan. My buddy the Marine, who's a 4th Dan, earned his black belt in Judo before he trained in the Bujinkan, so he stresses stand up throws. Guess what. If someone trained in grappling before or while they wre in the bujinkan, chances are they'll add quite a bit of grappling to the system.

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    3/15/2005 7:53am

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Snowcat.

Ok, this is how a comparative challenge match is suppose to work:
    Numbnut A = 2 years BJJ
    Numbnut B = 2 years Ninujtsu training
    or
    Numbnut A = 15 years BJJ
    Numbnut B = 15 years Ninjutsu

It does NOT work like this:
    Numbnut A = 9 months BJJ
    Numbnut B = 20 years Ninjutsu

Got it?
    If you are gonna tell someone to challenge someone else, lets not bring in the "masters" ok, not unless you are suggesting a match between masters, got it?

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    3/15/2005 8:09am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuma-Gorath
    Taijutsu sucks. I have proof:
    You thought the same thing about Tai Chi until RM gave you a run for your money :laughing9

Posted On:
    3/15/2005 8:12am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaiboxerken
    The Gracies tend to claim that their martial art is the best, but I guess they aren't very good.
    Not against Japanese pro wrestlers, they aren't. :icon_wink

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    3/15/2005 10:53am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    KotoRyu,

Go sit in the corner. Your videos demonstrating that ninjaness didn't suck, sucked. End of story.

There may indeed be some ninjas out there who can actually fight. Based on the amount of video detritius, I doubt it's many.

SMF, It's the ninja's looking for validation that they have something to offer besides silly tabi socks that want that. Hell lock at the very nature of the first video thread post.

Posted On:
    3/15/2005 11:04am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dochter
    There may indeed be some ninjas out there who can actually fight. Based on the amount of video detritius, I doubt it's many.
    There are ninjutsu practitioners out there who can fight, and there are those who can't. There are BJJers out there who can and some who can't. Same with MT, TKD, boxing, judo, etc. People on Bullshido tend to not consider that it's not more important about what a person's art is or what the art itself can do, it's what that person can do with it that really matters. All of the martial arts were originally used for fighting, so if you train appropriately, you can fight with any martial art you take. It's not that hard to comprehend.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/15/2005 11:09am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Koto_Ryu
    There are ninjutsu practitioners out there who can fight, and there are those who can't. There are BJJers out there who can and some who can't. Same with MT, TKD, boxing, judo, etc.
    The percentage of BJJ, judo, boxing and MT practitioners who can actually fight dwarfs ninjitsu's so greatly it's not even funny.

Posted On:
    3/15/2005 11:14am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    The percentage of BJJ, judo, boxing and MT practitioners who can actually fight dwarfs ninjitsu's so greatly it's not even funny.
    Compare the amount of all those who take those to ninjutsu (which is a relatively small art compared to the big ones), and if you figure out the percentages it won't be all that dramatic. Just because a person takes a martial art, no matter what it is, doesn't mean he's going to be able to fight and win. It more boils down to whether that person themself has what it takes to fight. You can see many cases where someone who supposedly had a "superior" style either got beaten or fought on even terms with someone who possessed an "inferior" style. Check some of the clips on here: TKD beating MT, RM giving Shum a good run for his money, etc.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/15/2005 11:15am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're hopeless.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    3/15/2005 11:16am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Koto_Ryu
    It's not that hard to comprehend.
    Deal with numbers, not what ifs. Replication and repeatability are not on your side.

Huh, grommit. Who knew. :grommit:
Page 6 of 56 FirstFirst ... 23456 7891016 ... LastLast