Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. DRD

Posted On:
    2/27/2003 8:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know what the above suit was over, but I do know that to make false unprovable accusation that can expose a person to ridicule, lose of reputation, loss of income, and so on are all legally actionable items.

If you want to learn a bunch about what you should and should not do on the interner, even behind a screen name, look up Libel and slander. Libel is the one that can really get you in a wrinkle. The truth is an absolute defense, but it must be the truth. Never falsely accuse another person of defrauding people, or of being a criminal and such unless you can pay the cost's.

I say that with good backup information. And believe me, posting a retraction, while it may be required and agreed to as a portion of the settlement, can be a minor part of the whole settlement, and they can be very expensive without ever seeing a court house. JKDCHICK is right on.

This subject is deep and wide, and it is painful to be on either side of an internet instigated suit. I say and believe and have proven that you can be found behind a screen name, and you can be brought to task if your words cause legally defensable harm to another.

DRD

Posted On:
    3/09/2003 12:35pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    who? RATM?
    not everything is in the artist's control

don't be a Bull on Parade

--
    I attack flurriously!
    It smells like teen spirit.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Posted On:
    3/09/2003 11:42pm

Style: non

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    damnit I am moving. I either becoming a mountain man to live in the wild or finding a tiny island some where warm. Either way no one can sue me for calling them the fat **** faced white slobs they are.

"A California man has been taken to court for stalking Anna Nicole Smith. The man has been charged with invasion of privacy, illegal trespassing, and having really bad taste."-Conan
  4. DRD

Posted On:
    3/10/2003 12:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omen Stone, You can call them the fat whatever you said above because that is your opinion which is protected speech.

It is not about truth or lie, it is about what you think. You can say that in your opinion for example that you feel Mr X is a fraud because you do not think he knows what he is talking about, but if you said he had no training ever and made up his credentials, and he did have formal training and credentials, you may be open for something like a reckless disregard for the truth suit, because the premise under the law is that the information is readily available, and a average prudent man would have been able to check out the information.

It is the reasonability theory, what would a reasonable person have done before making the claim of fraud and lack of formal training.

Sitting down with an internet law attorney can clear up alot of questions many of us have, about what we should and should not be comfortable saying without checking.

DRD

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2003 8:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People are going to jail for on-line sexual harassment now...

What happened to the days when you could hop on AOL, find some 15 year old girl and message her with "ASL ASL ASL U WANT 2 CYBAR?"

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/10/2003 11:00am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I missed it. What did m. say about United Schools of Self Defense?

and why did he quit posting, I just looked at his member page and he posted a lot in the past. Other than gettng sued..........

>>>Always walk on a bright, wide road. If you choose to live with your right posture, you don't have to go on a dark road or a malodorous place. Oyama
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123