game dog

Posted On:
    3/11/2005 12:01pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

"optimal" heart rate in cardio

I keep reading that you should keep your heart rate around 120 when doing cardio, because that's "optimal" in some sense.

So what exactly happens if you train cardio at a heart rate of, say, 150? Or 160? Why is it bad?

Does it not train the cardio system as effectively? Why?

Does it have negative chronic side effects? If so, what are they?

Is it acutely dangerous, in terms of heart attacks or similar bad things?
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

**** you math class

Posted On:
    3/11/2005 6:33pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I keep reading that you should keep your heart rate around 120 when doing cardio,
    At my old gym there was a poster on the wall that listed the general target heart rates for a list of ages. The poster started at fifteen, and the optimum rate for that was listed at something really crazy (I can't remember what, but I want to say 180 for some reason), and then shot down every decade from there.

punch-drunk

Posted On:
    3/11/2005 9:31pm

supporting member
     Style: SanDa / MMA / Kung-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Training for fighting competition is a lot different than what the generic 'charts' will tell you when it comes to training cardio and optimizing heart rate. 120 bpm is just a light sweat. What you need to keep in mind is that those charts are about aerobic excercise for the general public with a margin of safety built in. For fight training, you need to constantly push a high aerobic level and then intermitently kick it up a notch and go anaerobic, and push that threshold higher and become more comfortable there. Aerobic level is the baseline, and should be what youre doing during your rest periods from the anaerobic part. To get your max according to the charts, take 220 and subtract your age (double check this, this is off the top of my head and i don't have the chart in front of me). Most of us will be in the 180s to 190s. For me my rest periods that i maintain for at least a half hour to hour my heartrate is usually somewhere between 140 and 165 or so, and my sprints take me up into the mid 180s usually where i go anaerobic. Try to hold yourself in near your max heartrate for a half minute or so at a time, then bring it down. note that your heartrate will stay high and sometimes bounce a bit higher before it drops down, keep it in the 150s to 160s or so after it drops down, get comfortable there and pace for a while and then push it up to max again intermittently. I get a max thats higher than it should be according to the chart and i usually can't quite get as tired doing this kind of training as during several rounds of hard sparring, i don't even know what it gets to but i bet its a lot higher. You need to get comfortable up in these anaerobic ranges and use the high aerobic as your coasting rate. Note that improving recovery time is just as important as maxing out. Thats the best way I know to simulate fighting. If you go by those charts you'll probably gas out pretty quick. Of course make sure youre in good shape and health before pushing it like this. But that what you need to do, 120 is for fat guys and old ladies.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2005 2:44am

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, keep in mind that your max heart rate and resting pulse rate might be lower or higher than average - depends on you. You'll have to record your waking pulse every morning for at least a month and wear a heart rate monitor everytime you work out (not while rolling of course though the data could prove very interesting). In extreme cases, heart rates can be freakishly different from what's considered the norm. I heard that when pro cyclist Miguel Indurain of Spain was consistenly winning, his resting pulse was 23 beats per minute. Of course, his other activity besides being on the bike and winning the Tour de France, Tour of Spain and the Giro D'Italia was sleeping.

Acupuncturist / Anesthesia Student

Posted On:
    3/12/2005 11:41am

Style: Mostly weights now...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    and some good banter on the subject from an earlier thread:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...ght=heart+rate

Posted On:
    6/28/2008 3:46pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know, it's crazy when you google for something, absentmindedly click on the first result, and your browser loads your own fucking website. That's twice in two weeks now.

Edit: what's even weirder is that they're both Beatdown Ritchie threads.

Acupuncturist / Anesthesia Student

Posted On:
    6/28/2008 4:41pm

Style: Mostly weights now...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Before you die you see the ring.

Just saying...