Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Ghost of Kawaishi

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 5:49pm

Style: judo, parenting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't doubt that George Sylvain fought Harry Villeneuve, they were both serious bone crushers in their day, but it seems strange to fight for a Canada vs USA match when they are both from Ottawa. Both of these men were some of the original pioneers of karate and jiu jitsu in the Ottawa area, going to Toronto in the early 60's to learn Chito-ryu from Mas Tsuroka and jiu jitsu from Ron Forrester. They were both heavily involved in promoting the at the time new style of full contact karate, which developed into kickboxing.

Wally Slocki, another great Canadian fighter from way back, said something to the effect that his fighting didn't realy come together until he started training with George Sylvain.
    Villeneuve's club is closed, haven't heard anyone mention him for some time, but there are plenty of Chito-ryu based schools in the Ottawa area, in part because of him. To my knowledge George Sylvain never taught much karate, incorporating it into his style of Can-ryu jiu jitsu.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 5:53pm

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdnronin
    I don't doubt that George Sylvain fought Harry Villeneuve, they were both serious bone crushers in their day, but it seems strange to fight for a Canada vs USA match when they are both from Ottawa. Both of these men were some of the original pioneers of karate and jiu jitsu in the Ottawa area, going to Toronto in the early 60's to learn Chito-ryu from Mas Tsuroka and jiu jitsu from Ron Forrester. They were both heavily involved in promoting the at the time new style of full contact karate, which developed into kickboxing.

Wally Slocki, another great Canadian fighter from way back, said something to the effect that his fighting didn't realy come together until he started training with George Sylvain.
    Villeneuve's club is closed, haven't heard anyone mention him for some time, but there are plenty of Chito-ryu based schools in the Ottawa area, in part because of him. To my knowledge George Sylvain never taught much karate, incorporating it into his style of Can-ryu jiu jitsu.
    Cool, now thats the sort of answer I was looking for.

Ghost of Kawaishi

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 6:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm guessing here, but there is a lot of martial arts history that isn't on the net, major fighters in their day who know no knows anything about. It would be my guess that the 1969 fight mentioned would have been at a Mas Tsuroka sponsored tournament. There are old pictures of George Sylvain with Mas Tsuroka kicking around, never doubted that connection, but obviously not the results of every tournament Tsuroka promoted. If someone was to contact him,you could probably get the story, or you could contact George himself. I will ask what happened to Mr Villeneuve in his retirement.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 6:06pm

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdnronin
    I'm guessing here, but there is a lot of martial arts history that isn't on the net, major fighters in their day who know no knows anything about. It would be my guess that the 1969 fight mentioned would have been at a Mas Tsuroka sponsored tournament. There are old pictures of George Sylvain with Mas Tsuroka kicking around, never doubted that connection, but obviously not the results of every tournament Tsuroka promoted. If someone was to contact him,you could probably get the story, or you could contact George himself. I will ask what happened to Mr Villeneuve in his retirement.
    Im not particularily interested in details. I was just simply curious about the validity of all of the information on the site. Not that I doubted the validity, but with all of the important sounding achievements he had listed I was interested in finding out whether or not he was truly recognized on a National/International lvl.

CdRonin, Out of curiosity what is your affiliation with this group, what is your opinion of the Can-Ryu system and its creator Georges Sylvain?

Ghost of Kawaishi

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 6:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapp
    Im not particularily interested in details. I was just simply curious about the validity of all of the information on the site. Not that I doubted the validity, but with all of the important sounding achievements he had listed I was interested in finding out whether or not he was truly recognized on a National/International lvl.

CdRonin, Out of curiosity what is your affiliation with this group, what is your opinion of the Can-Ryu system and its creator Georges Sylvain?
    I have be doing Can-ryu for about 18 years with your Sensei's original instructor(not his father). I have only had the opportunity to train directly with George Sylvain a few times, even as a 70 year old guy with a bad hip, I wouldn't **** with him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/21/2011 11:44am

Style: taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

harry villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by Snapp View Post
    Cool, now thats the sort of answer I was looking for.
    what is harry villeneuve up to these days? george sylvain went out west to lethbridge, alberta where he set up a jui jitsu club in the 80's. anyone know where he is now?

Ghost of Kawaishi

Posted On:
    5/21/2011 2:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by joan ranger View Post
    what is harry villeneuve up to these days? george sylvain went out west to lethbridge, alberta where he set up a jui jitsu club in the 80's. anyone know where he is now?
    George Sylvain is still in Ottawa. He is now retired from martial arts. I have known/known of Prof. sylvain since 1985. Never heard of him going out west to set up a club.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2011 1:47pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's a link that will give you a little history on Chito-ryu Style. Harry Villineuve was a student of Andre Langelier.

http://www.ottawachitokai.ca/ock/his...wa-chito-kai-1

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2011 4:14pm

Style: taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you. I really appreciate that you took the time to answer my question.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12