225243 Bullies, 3993 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 19
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Snapp is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    158

    Posted On:
    3/10/2005 2:32pm


     Style: Jiu Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Canadian Martial Arts Hall of Fame?

    After being on Bullshido.com for a little while, I soon felt the need to explore the origins of my curent style and of my instructors.

    I have no doubt in the authenticity of my instructor and his instructors but I am interested in exploring the history none the less. I wont bother going into great detail here, but a few points in the history I was unable to verify and wondered if anyone here has information that may be of use.


    The Canadian Martial Arts Hall of Fame, both my Sensei and his Sensei are inducted into it, but yet I can not find any record of a Canadian Martial Arts Hall of Fame on the internet. I would think a national organization would have a website...

    The second point, my instructors Sensei is reported to have:

    "fought the great former World Heavyweight Karate Champion, Harry Villeneuve, for the Canada versus United States title. In a 1992 Ottawa newspaper interview, Mr. Villeneuve stated that although he had defeated him, he was the toughest opponent he had ever fought. The bout was one of the longest in Canadian Karate history having gone into four overtime rounds. Mr. Villeneuve once defeated the highly acclaimed Chuck Norris, who later went on to movie and television fame. "

    Thanks for any info.


    Also note: I dont take Karate, my Sensei and his Sensei are both very accomplished in Karate and Traditional Jiu Jitsu.
  2. Traditional Tom is offline
    Traditional Tom's Avatar

    [This space for rent]

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    1,814

    Posted On:
    3/10/2005 2:36pm

    supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ask for some proof. If he can't/won't procure it, than it's probably a bullshit statement.
    Not exactly hard to figure out
  3. Snapp is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    158

    Posted On:
    3/10/2005 2:39pm


     Style: Jiu Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Tom
    Ask for some proof. If he can't/won't procure it, than it's probably a bullshit statement.
    Not exactly hard to figure out
    Well like I said, I am not interested in questoning my Sensei's credentials. He is not only a 6th Dan in Jiu Jitsu, he is also the Control Tactics Instructor for the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) here in our part of Canada. His skills are not in question and I would not want to give him that impression.

    I was just interested to find out, and many people here seem to very knowledgable when it comes to Martial Art credentials.
  4. EternalRage is offline
    EternalRage's Avatar

    WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    3,360

    Posted On:
    3/10/2005 2:53pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapp
    After being on Bullshido.com for a little while, I soon felt the need to explore the origins of my curent style and of my instructors.

    I have no doubt in the authenticity of my instructor and his instructors but I am interested in exploring the history none the less. I wont bother going into great detail here, but a few points in the history I was unable to verify and wondered if anyone here has information that may be of use.


    The Canadian Martial Arts Hall of Fame, both my Sensei and his Sensei are inducted into it, but yet I can not find any record of a Canadian Martial Arts Hall of Fame on the internet. I would think a national organization would have a website...

    The second point, my instructors Sensei is reported to have:

    "fought the great former World Heavyweight Karate Champion, Harry Villeneuve, for the Canada versus United States title. In a 1992 Ottawa newspaper interview, Mr. Villeneuve stated that although he had defeated him, he was the toughest opponent he had ever fought. The bout was one of the longest in Canadian Karate history having gone into four overtime rounds. Mr. Villeneuve once defeated the highly acclaimed Chuck Norris, who later went on to movie and television fame. "

    Thanks for any info.


    Also note: I dont take Karate, my Sensei and his Sensei are both very accomplished in Karate and Traditional Jiu Jitsu.
    As for origins of your style, just google it, i'm sure plenty of sites have japanese jiujitsu history on them. As for your instructors, regardless of the fact that the World Heavyweight Karate Champion info sounds like utter bullshit, I doubt you will find anything else thru googling your instructors name... ask your instructors about their past and then take watever info they give you and search for that instead.
  5. Edge is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    531

    Posted On:
    3/10/2005 3:29pm


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so I'm guessing this is your sensei

    http://members.shaw.ca/canryu/index_page0002.htm
  6. Snapp is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    158

    Posted On:
    3/10/2005 3:32pm


     Style: Jiu Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge
    so I'm guessing this is your sensei

    http://members.shaw.ca/canryu/index_page0002.htm
    No, thats my Sensei's instructor. As you can see there is a lot of info on there, but I have been unable to actually confirm some of it.
  7. Traditional Tom is offline
    Traditional Tom's Avatar

    [This space for rent]

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    1,814

    Posted On:
    3/10/2005 4:12pm

    supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see. So it's alright to (possibly) fabricate half-truths and blatant lies as long as you are teaching Mounties, good to know.
    If you're too wussy to even ask your teacher to show you some (not even all, just some) of his credentials if they sound 'off', get someone else to.
    Ask your parents or friends or something to come in and ask him.
  8. Ronin is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    20,894

    Posted On:
    3/10/2005 4:28pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not saying that this is one of them, but many MA hall of fames are money driven:
    You pay and voila, that and a petition signed by your students.
  9. Snapp is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    158

    Posted On:
    3/10/2005 5:39pm


     Style: Jiu Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Tom
    I see. So it's alright to (possibly) fabricate half-truths and blatant lies as long as you are teaching Mounties, good to know.
    If you're too wussy to even ask your teacher to show you some (not even all, just some) of his credentials if they sound 'off', get someone else to.
    Ask your parents or friends or something to come in and ask him.
    I never said it was ok, I was just saying that he must obviously have some knowledge/skill to teach mounties. I am sure the mounties have some way of deciding who is fit to teach their trainees.

    Also, there is no evidence either way that any of the information is fabricated, exaggerated, probably...

    As far as asking my instructor, it looks like I will probably have to if I truly want to find out. Frankly I believe he'll tell me exactly what i want to know, he doesnt need to create or exagerate crediantials to get my respect. Just watching the guy in action has already done that for me.

    My instructor is a really nice guy, who I respect greatly. I did not want to give him the impression that I do not believe what he claims. And in all truth I do believe what he claims. I only posted this here for two reasons.

    1.
    Canadian Martial Arts Hall of Fame, seemed like a big national organization, yet it has no website. If it truly was an organization of any serious merit I would have imagined someone here would have heard of it. Since no one has I can probably assume that it is a small organization created by a group of martial artists, that actually has no real national merrit. Or perhaps as Ronin69 has stated, it is a money organization.

    2.
    The Karate Championship match, if this guy truly was Heavy Weight Champion of the World, and apparently defeated chuck Norris. That someone here could easily prove or disprove that fact, which no one has done.


    I guess was just looking for someone who actually knew something about it, instead of "sounds like bullshit". But this is an internet forum after all, I suppose I am just niave for expecting anything else lol.
  10. Aesopian is offline

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,501

    Posted On:
    3/10/2005 5:42pm

    Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a Hall of Fame for everything. You just pay to get in them.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.