Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 2:32pm

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Canadian Martial Arts Hall of Fame?

After being on Bullshido.com for a little while, I soon felt the need to explore the origins of my curent style and of my instructors.

I have no doubt in the authenticity of my instructor and his instructors but I am interested in exploring the history none the less. I wont bother going into great detail here, but a few points in the history I was unable to verify and wondered if anyone here has information that may be of use.

The Canadian Martial Arts Hall of Fame, both my Sensei and his Sensei are inducted into it, but yet I can not find any record of a Canadian Martial Arts Hall of Fame on the internet. I would think a national organization would have a website...

The second point, my instructors Sensei is reported to have:

"fought the great former World Heavyweight Karate Champion, Harry Villeneuve, for the Canada versus United States title. In a 1992 Ottawa newspaper interview, Mr. Villeneuve stated that although he had defeated him, he was the toughest opponent he had ever fought. The bout was one of the longest in Canadian Karate history having gone into four overtime rounds. Mr. Villeneuve once defeated the highly acclaimed Chuck Norris, who later went on to movie and television fame. "

Thanks for any info.

Also note: I dont take Karate, my Sensei and his Sensei are both very accomplished in Karate and Traditional Jiu Jitsu.

[This space for rent]

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 2:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ask for some proof. If he can't/won't procure it, than it's probably a bullshit statement.
    Not exactly hard to figure out

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 2:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Tom
    Ask for some proof. If he can't/won't procure it, than it's probably a bullshit statement.
    Not exactly hard to figure out
    Well like I said, I am not interested in questoning my Sensei's credentials. He is not only a 6th Dan in Jiu Jitsu, he is also the Control Tactics Instructor for the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) here in our part of Canada. His skills are not in question and I would not want to give him that impression.

I was just interested to find out, and many people here seem to very knowledgable when it comes to Martial Art credentials.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 2:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapp
    After being on Bullshido.com for a little while, I soon felt the need to explore the origins of my curent style and of my instructors.

I have no doubt in the authenticity of my instructor and his instructors but I am interested in exploring the history none the less. I wont bother going into great detail here, but a few points in the history I was unable to verify and wondered if anyone here has information that may be of use.

The Canadian Martial Arts Hall of Fame, both my Sensei and his Sensei are inducted into it, but yet I can not find any record of a Canadian Martial Arts Hall of Fame on the internet. I would think a national organization would have a website...

The second point, my instructors Sensei is reported to have:

"fought the great former World Heavyweight Karate Champion, Harry Villeneuve, for the Canada versus United States title. In a 1992 Ottawa newspaper interview, Mr. Villeneuve stated that although he had defeated him, he was the toughest opponent he had ever fought. The bout was one of the longest in Canadian Karate history having gone into four overtime rounds. Mr. Villeneuve once defeated the highly acclaimed Chuck Norris, who later went on to movie and television fame. "

Thanks for any info.

Also note: I dont take Karate, my Sensei and his Sensei are both very accomplished in Karate and Traditional Jiu Jitsu.
    As for origins of your style, just google it, i'm sure plenty of sites have japanese jiujitsu history on them. As for your instructors, regardless of the fact that the World Heavyweight Karate Champion info sounds like utter bullshit, I doubt you will find anything else thru googling your instructors name... ask your instructors about their past and then take watever info they give you and search for that instead.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 3:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so I'm guessing this is your sensei

http://members.shaw.ca/canryu/index_page0002.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 3:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge
    so I'm guessing this is your sensei

http://members.shaw.ca/canryu/index_page0002.htm
    No, thats my Sensei's instructor. As you can see there is a lot of info on there, but I have been unable to actually confirm some of it.

[This space for rent]

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 4:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see. So it's alright to (possibly) fabricate half-truths and blatant lies as long as you are teaching Mounties, good to know.
    If you're too wussy to even ask your teacher to show you some (not even all, just some) of his credentials if they sound 'off', get someone else to.
    Ask your parents or friends or something to come in and ask him.

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 4:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not saying that this is one of them, but many MA hall of fames are money driven:
    You pay and voila, that and a petition signed by your students.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 5:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Tom
    I see. So it's alright to (possibly) fabricate half-truths and blatant lies as long as you are teaching Mounties, good to know.
    If you're too wussy to even ask your teacher to show you some (not even all, just some) of his credentials if they sound 'off', get someone else to.
    Ask your parents or friends or something to come in and ask him.
    I never said it was ok, I was just saying that he must obviously have some knowledge/skill to teach mounties. I am sure the mounties have some way of deciding who is fit to teach their trainees.

Also, there is no evidence either way that any of the information is fabricated, exaggerated, probably...

As far as asking my instructor, it looks like I will probably have to if I truly want to find out. Frankly I believe he'll tell me exactly what i want to know, he doesnt need to create or exagerate crediantials to get my respect. Just watching the guy in action has already done that for me.

My instructor is a really nice guy, who I respect greatly. I did not want to give him the impression that I do not believe what he claims. And in all truth I do believe what he claims. I only posted this here for two reasons.

Canadian Martial Arts Hall of Fame, seemed like a big national organization, yet it has no website. If it truly was an organization of any serious merit I would have imagined someone here would have heard of it. Since no one has I can probably assume that it is a small organization created by a group of martial artists, that actually has no real national merrit. Or perhaps as Ronin69 has stated, it is a money organization.

The Karate Championship match, if this guy truly was Heavy Weight Champion of the World, and apparently defeated chuck Norris. That someone here could easily prove or disprove that fact, which no one has done.

I guess was just looking for someone who actually knew something about it, instead of "sounds like bullshit". But this is an internet forum after all, I suppose I am just niave for expecting anything else lol.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 5:42pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a Hall of Fame for everything. You just pay to get in them.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast