222310 Bullies, 3758 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

World Boxing Council (WBC) TO SANCTION MUAYTHAI TITLE FIGHTS WORLDWIDE!!

WBC TO SANCTION MUAYTHAI TITLE FIGHTS WORLDWIDE
    Sunday 27 February 2002 By Alan Parkhouse, sports editor, The Nation daily newspaper, Thailand

Bangkok: In a landmark agreement and one which will put the spotlight firmly on Thailand’s traditional martial art, the World Boxing Council (WBC) will now officially sanction MUAYTHAI world titles in 17 weight divisions worldwide.

An agreement signed by the WBC President, Dr Jose Sulaiman and the Governor of the Sports Authority of Thailand, Dr Santiparb Tejavanija heralds in a new era for muaythai, the popular sport of Thailand.

The WBC has set up a special division WBC MUAYTHAI headed by Pol. Gen. Kovid Bhakdibhumi, president of the Asian Boxing Council and vice-president of the WBC.

WBC MUAYTHAI will be responsible for all world rankings, championship events and global media. In order to create better understanding - and integrity for the sport on the world stage - the WBC is planning a world convention to discuss all rules, regulations, championship events and the future expansion of muaythai.

The growth of international muaythai clubs and associations has created the need for a reputable global organization to provide official rankings and sanctioning for major muaythai championship events, and it’s been determined by the Sports Authority of Thailand that W.B.C. MUAYTHAI d officially sanction all professional muaythai competition.

The WBC is the world’s oldest and most credible boxing authority for rankings and title sanctioning. The rapid rise in the popularity of muaythai as a leading martial art and ring sport has resulted in the WBC taking the unprecedented action of expanding its global organization to include a special branch for muaythai.

Consequently, muaythai will gain even greater popularity, recognition and professional status through the support structure of the WBC.

With the WBC now recognized as the official sanctioning body for muaythai globally, Thai fighters will be able to earn higher international payments for championship contests and, as well, Thailand’s national sport will benefit from the huge audiences of worldwide television broadcasts. The official rankings in all divisions - and the WBC MUAYTHAI sanctioning of all muaythai championship events - will ensure that those who excel in the Thai fighting art (in particular talented young fighters) will be given every opportunity to enter into the highest levels of professional international competition.

The heavier weight Thai fighters who have difficulty getting match-ups in Thailand will, under the WBC umbrella, be able to get world title fights against top Europeans and Americans.

It’s understood that Pol.Gen. Kovid will soon be visiting the CIS countries of Russia, Ukraine and Kazakhstan where heavier muaythai fighters are lining up for world rankings and title shots.

WBC MUAYTHAI has agreed to abide by the MUAYTHAI rules and regulations of the Sports Authority of Thailand – and will promote, market and sanction muaythai as a professional sport.

The WBC MUAYTHAI has undertaken to foster muaythai as a ring sport at the highest levels of competition, and recognizes that muaythai should be viewed around the world as an important cultural tradition and heritage of the Kingdom of Thailand. The WBC will establish sub-committees for all muaythai rankings, events, rules & regulations and media. In 2002 the Sports Authority of Thailand established standard rules and regulations for all boxing, including muaythai. The regulations provide safety standards for all competition including checks on illegal drugs and prohibited substances.

The WBC MUAYTHAI will appoint judges and referees to ensure all fighters give optimum performance and that there is fairness in all competition.

It’s understood that some of the world’s top fight promoters are already planning some big events for WBC MUAYTHAI world title fights. The first championship is likely to be staged in Las Vegas mid-year.

While muaythai has grown in international popularity over recent years other ring sports like the K1 in Tokyo have dominated media publicity. Now that MUAYTHAI has come under the umbrella of the WBC the sport can better position itself as the world leader in professional ring combat.

The Olympic committee is looking at including muaythai as an official sport for future Olympics. The rules of muaythai are fought over five three-minute rounds and permit the use of four body weapons - punches, kicks, knees and elbow strikes.
    Attached Images  

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 12:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's this WBC that wants Tyson to do MT. This is huge for Muay Thai.
    "The next one I will take will pay for my loss. Someone has to pay!" ~ The Axe Murderer

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 3:02pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great find Darkson.

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 3:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Too Bad its the WBC, but still...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 3:27pm

Style: JKD , Spirit Fingers

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very interesting. I hope this traslates to more (and better) exposure for the martial arts, especially in the USA.

The UFC has done a lot to debunk some of the myths that existed about MA competitions, but I am unclear on the public's perception of the sport itself, still. MT seems like it has enough ritual/respect built into it not to turn people off.

Until they see some poor bastard get KTFO by a knee to the face, that is! lol!!

This appears to be an old article, though. 2002? Is this the most current info?
    Last edited by MattJ; 3/10/2005 3:36pm at .

Didn't so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 4:47pm

Style: Ex-TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hopefully now there will be more Muay Thai on TV, right now there's just occasional K-1 on ESPN2. I get tired of watching Western boxing, I almost find myself yelling "someone throw a goddamn kick!"
    sudo make me a sandwich!

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 4:52pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So we are to expect a surge of MT places popping up left and right for the next 10 or so years like with all other fads?

KICK ASS!!

PL

Didn't so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 4:54pm

Style: Ex-TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, since Muay Thai is a modernization of Muay Thai Boran, which was just an offshoot of Krabi Krabong.

Muay Thai is a fad.
    sudo make me a sandwich!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 5:43pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was about to comment on the 2002 date also. Have there been MT any fights in the US scantioned by the WBC yet? I'm also curious if elbows were/will be allowed in the US. I'm fairly sure that in the one professional MT title bout I saw in Massachusetts last year, elbows were not allowed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 6:14pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Will this cross into Female Muay Thai or is that not being touched/will be covered up by the WBC?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast