Posted On:
    3/10/2005 9:10am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The World Boxing Council wants Tyson!

From correspondents in Bangkokq March 10, 2005

THAI kickboxing officials want former world heavyweight champion Mike Tyson to come to Thailand and learn the national sport, the Nation newspaper reported today.

The World Boxing Council-Muaythai, recently formed to promote the sport and to hold title fights around the world, has been speaking to Tyson's representatives and will travel to Las Vegas next Thursday to meet with Tyson, the paper said.

"He likes muaythai, and he's being encouraged to make the switch," a senior official involved in the talks with Tyson told the Nation.

"He'll need to spend some time here in Thailand, not only learning the sport, but also how to show the proper respect for the traditions and culture that go with it," the official said.

"He'll be very welcome here in Thailand, but he will have to learn to be humble, show respect and uphold the traditions of muaythai," he said.

"We'll teach him the wai kru (the show of respect by fighters to their trainers), take him to the temple to make merit, and teach him how to show the proper respect to his rivals in the ring."

Tyson bit off Evander Holyfield's ear in a title bout in 1997, and served three years in jail for the 1991 rape of the former beauty queen.

Tyson said in Rome last week that he would make a boxing comeback on June 20 in Washington, but he didn't name his opponent.

Australia's acting immigration minister Peter McGauran said last week that Tyson was unlikely to meet the character requirements to receive a visa for an attempt to relaunch his career in Australia.

The former world champion's last bout was a fourth-round knockout loss to Englishman Danny Williams last July.

Agence France-Presse

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0...-23218,00.html
    Last edited by DARKSON; 3/10/2005 12:38pm at . Reason: Correction
    "The next one I will take will pay for my loss. Someone has to pay!" ~ The Axe Murderer

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 9:20am

Style: Chung do Kwan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think tyson will be able to adapt to throw kicks, since he was just a regular boxer all his life.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 9:54am

Style: Not Currently Training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My prediction: It'll never happen. Or if it does, it will be pretty much Tyson's last gasp before obscurity and maybe hawking whitegoods on cable.

That's only my prediction, though. It would be very interesting to see him adapt to the Muay Thai (in all its cultural aspects) and actually make a good go of it.

Imagine what it would do for Muay Thai world-wide if such a thing came to pass and it were properly managed..."Muay Thai Turns Tyson into a Top-Notch Good Guy"... News at eleven...

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 9:59am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would rather see Roy Jones Jr doing MT.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 10:05am

Style: Kali/Jun Fan/CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DARKSON
    Tyson bit off Evander Holyfield's ear in a title bout in 1997, and served three years in jail for the 1991 rape of the former beauty queen.
    THE former beauty queen?
    It might be because I'm not a native speaker but isn't the above sentence saying that Holyfield is the former beauty queen? Grammar-wise?

Anyway, I'm very skeptical about this ever really coming to pass. Wasn't he supposed to enter K-1 last year?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 10:10am

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't typically post on grammar, but you are correct; "a" would be appropriate here.

Professional Wrestler

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 10:30am

Style: Aikido-Kickboxing-Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know a few guys who were mediocre boxers at best, who made the transition and became decent western style kickboxers. I've don't know one went to Thai style, but I don't thinks it's impossible for Tyson to do physically. I think it'll be more about attitude than anything else.
    "Quiet fool before I am kicking the butt!"
    -My three year old trash talking to me

"Integrity can't be bought or sold---you either have it or you don't."
    -The Honky Tonk Man

"If you can't be a shining example, at least be a dire warning."
    -My Father to me one day

"No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
    -Don Gwinn

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 10:50am

Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronin69
    I would rather see Roy Jones Jr doing MT.

Is Roy Jones Jr. some sort of inside joke on bullshido? Because I don't see it either way. He's certainly good enough to be taken seriously, but ever since I saw Tarver knock him the **** out last year he's done nothing in the ring that I would consider amazing.

He hasn't lost his stuff, but he's not a very exciting fighter. So why is he mentioned more often than any other pro boxer on this board?

Genius

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 11:18am

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't see Thailand paying Tyson enough money to do it. Whatever happened to Tyson vs Sapp in K-1 anyway?
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 11:24am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    im sure he wont do it.
    "The next one I will take will pay for my loss. Someone has to pay!" ~ The Axe Murderer
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast