1. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 8:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ Tournament - Louisville, KY - April 9th, 2005

The title says it all...
    BJJ Tournament - Louisville, KY - April 9th, 2005

I don't have a link to any information yet but I thought I'd throw it out there for anyone interested. Until, I find an official link, all of my info is just what I was told and probably needs verification.

I was told it was $30 until April 1st, then it goes up to $40.

I will try to get more info.

If any of you are interested, jump in here and let the world know.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 9:37am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you going to compete?
  3. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 10:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, we are. Paying tonight.
    I don't have great expectations. I am generally a pessimist. Prepare the best you can, expect the worst. If things turn out better than expected, be pleasantly suprised. May not be the best attitude for a BJJ Tournament but I'm rarely disappointed. Besides, I watched the brackett that I would have been in at a tournament in Bloomington, IN, and I would have gotten dusted. Hopefully, I have gotten much better in the last 4 months or some of those guys got promoted. :)

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 10:56am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great to hear you're competing. I think everyone should.

Here was my secret to success before my one Mickey Mouse tournament, in case you're interested.

Weeks before it, I was talking to all these others guys getting ready for their first fights, and they had all sorts of concerns.

"What if I gas out in the first minute?"
    "What if I go blank and he taps me in 30 seconds?"
    "What if they are training right now and I'm not?"
    "What if I don't know enough techniques?"
    "What if he does some techniques I don't know?"
    "What if what if what if..."

For some reason I wasn't worried though. So I actually stopped and asked myself, "Wait now, maybe I'm not considering all the factors here. Should I be worried about losing?"

One second later I decided.

"No, I'm gonna rock their faces off."

I wasn't psyching myself up or anything. It was just a positive decision. I knew I was at least good enough to beat another WHITE BELT.

It seems to me that as competition nears, a lot of guys go into a frenzy trying to learn NEW and ADVANCED techniques, like learning something a black belt did to win ADCC is going to help them win at blue belt in the state championships. It's this idea that they need to learn EVERYTHING because "What if he does move X and I don't have counter Y! What if I need move X to win!" That's getting pretty unattached to YOU and YOUR fights.

I'm was sure there were a million things that COULD go wrong, and there are always a million more techniques I COULD learn, but I realize "I know enough jiu-jitsu to win as a WHITE BELT." I don't need to worry about what the top black belts are doing to win now, I didn't even need to really worry what the top BLUE belts were doing now. I just needed to work on what I am doing now and what I am likely to run into against another white belt.

And so I did.

And so I won.

Best of luck!
    Last edited by Aesopian; 3/10/2005 11:01am at .

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 1:45pm

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm competing for the first time on the 26th of march in Copenhagen, in bot the open and -79kg classes. If I don't tap, I'll be happy with my performance.
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 3:02pm

Style: Taekwondo/Eskrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where is this tournament located in this city? I live in Louisville and I would really love to go and watch this tournament. PLease email me some info about the venue and what street its on and how much it costs to be a spectator! What time does it start and all of that!!
  7. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    3/11/2005 1:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe it is being organized by Louisville Martial Arts Academy, not for sure though. I will try to get more info over the weekend and get back with you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2005 12:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks. Just get the location of the venue and the price for a spectator and the time it starts and I am there!
  9. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    3/14/2005 9:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The guy running it was in my class Saturday, very nice guy. I didn't ask for spectator cost though, sorry, I forgot. He said where it was going to be but I'm not from Louisville so I already forgot what it was called. If any of you Louisville members could find anything out and post it, it would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by KhorneliusPraxx; 3/14/2005 9:59am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2005 2:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It would be cool to watch, but oh well...
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast