Chemist

Posted On:
    3/09/2005 10:46pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Escape from Knee-on-stomach!

I thought it was cooler than saying Knee-on-stomach escapes since it reminds me of Escape from New York..... ya I'm a dork........

Anyway, just so happens that I ended up back again into the receiving end of knee-on-stomach after having just read the other thread today. I have been working on my one escape which has been hit and miss for me since I'm a beginner but I figured I'd fish for a few pointers.

What I do:

I try to fish my hand under the ankle (top of their foot against my side) and grab their pants at their thigh to prevent them from flexing their leg into my mid-section. then I just lift up from their and bridge to create space and shrimp out. This actually worked for me tonight after a couple tries.

Any other creative methods to work on would be much appreciated.

BTW: for the naysayers who say you can't learn moves from bullshido -- I landed a perfectly good crucifix tonight learned directly from here (thanks Os)
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!

Posted On:
    3/09/2005 10:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's a simple one.
    He's on my right side.
    My left arm is a 90 degree angle with my left forearm against his chest to prevent him from just moving back to side control. then my right hand grabs his belt with my right arm locked straight. Now I can either go to my knees or put him in guard.

Chemist

Posted On:
    3/09/2005 11:03pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyS
    Here's a simple one.
    He's on my right side.
    My left arm is a 90 degree angle with my left forearm against his chest to prevent him from just moving back to side control. then my right hand grabs his belt with my right arm locked straight. Now I can either go to my knees or put him in guard.
    How do you not get armbarred? We practice armbars on both arms from knee-on-stomach when somebody tries to push against us.

let me answer myself, in case I'm getting ahead of myself...... do you keep the elbow tight and inside with your forearm against his chest so that your left forearm is parallel with his body? or is it perpendicular with your elbow sticking out to the side? and the right arm.... elbow tight against body so he can't get the easy armbar? or is the fact that I'm pushing away against his belt preventing that?
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/09/2005 11:22pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    JohnnyS, can you ever get Saulo's knee-on-belly escape to work? It "works great!" in drilling, but no one sits around long enough in sparring to allow me to get the elbow properly blocking the knee or finish the whole escape.

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 12:51am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My left elbow is against the center of his chest (near his throat) with my hand pointing downwards so that my hand is in front of his stomach (so yes, it's going down his body, not across it). He can't do an armbar because (i) I've got his belt with my right arm and (ii) My left arm isn't in a position where he can underhook it. To better describe it, it's the same sort of post I would do against someone's head from under side control, where my arm is all 90 degree angles and is very strong.
    And no, I've never got that Saulo escape to work in grappling. All the guy needs to do to counter it is just drop straight down to side control. The biggest problem when escaping knee-ride is that people will drop down to side control whenever they get in trouble and can even do this more than halfway through some escapes. The method I'm describing doesn't allow him to do that because I'm getting a post against his chest straight away.
    Last edited by JohnnyS; 3/10/2005 1:00am at . Reason: To add detail.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 3:10pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll have to try that one, thanks JohnnyS! I'll get plenty of practice as there's a guy at my class who loves his knee work...

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 3:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    JohnnyS, can you ever get Saulo's knee-on-belly escape to work? It "works great!" in drilling, but no one sits around long enough in sparring to allow me to get the elbow properly blocking the knee or finish the whole escape.
    I have used BOTH of his knee-on-belly moves, they work as PART of an escape, they are NOT stand alone techniques, no techniques are when you get at the higher levels.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 7:30pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just hip escape out a few times until his base is so unstable he has to change positions, and I use that moment to effect a real escape, reversal, or takedown.

Call me old fashioned.

Professional Fighter/Instructor

Posted On:
    3/11/2005 12:35am

supporting member
     Style: Pro-Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Underhook his posting leg.Push his knee on toward yor crotch.Get your same side knee out under his groin and kneebar.
    Palm his hips, bridge... get your same side knee up under his crotch, extend... he falss back you have an inside heelhook.

Put your same side forearm against his posted legs upper thigh, Grab his right sleeve in your left hand, Bridge up, get your ass away from him while getting on your side facing him, your same side knee goes under his armpit, get your leg in up to your instep, get your farside leg over his head...armbar.

If hes on your right side with right knee on you, hug his thigh tight, your left hand grabbing around his thight and grabbing your right tricep.Your right hand is grabbing his right instep, your bridge and roll onto your left shoulder... he rolls over you you keep leg hugged and control it til you pass guard.

Reach your far side hand between his legs, grab the heel on his leg that is riding you.Bridge and turn in rolling to your knees as if trying to climb between his legs.

Underhook his support leg(the one not on you) with your same side arm deep.pull it toward you til you get palm to palm.move the leg over your head as you spin to your shoulder away from him.You go out the back door and to your knees.

Reach under the instep of his leg on you your hand weaving under his ass and back toward your face as if giving him a bicep crush, Go palm to palm, roll on your farside shoulder after a bridge, dont let go of foot and he cant get your back as you get to your knees.

I didnt have the patience to explain any in detail, sorry.

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    3/11/2005 7:47am

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    SM,
    Excellent post.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast