http://www.okfightnews.com/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2005 12:00pm

Style: Multiple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by IzzyDaHedgehog
    BTW, Ack, if you find out anything about Burnett's place, could you come back and post about it? Google gives nothing other than a vague description and a location, and I won't actually be in Tulsa until the beginning of the fall term.
    Mikey's Gym is great - they train hard and have some really good fighters. I just recently heard that Mikey has split off and is starting a new gym (I assume still in relation to the Lion's Den). Mikey is a good guy and I have many friends that train there.

I train at Adams Muay Thai and love it (www.adamsmuaythaikali.com).

I'm not sure of the new name or contact information, but my old Academy (which was Gibson's Martial Art's) has some great instructors as well. Where Sam Adams and I both started, and the same affiliations. Maybe you can find something under Darrian Whittaker - he took the school over after Terry Gibson passed away.

You might also check out Apollo's Karate - they blend some Muay Thai with TKD and American Freestyle, and I have some good friends that are great martial artists that teach there. Dale & John Cook are cool cats and a great martial artists, and a friend of mine runs the 101st (or 111th?) and Memorial school - Mike Webster. I've sat in on several of Mike's classes and he is a good instructor.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2005 12:11pm

Style: -

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great! Now I have some info rolling in! Thanks, everyone.

Bryan, if you don't mind my asking, why did you leave Gibson's for Adam's? How do Adam's and Gibson's schools compare to each other? What are the strengths and weaknesses of each? You can send me a private message if you don't want to answer publicly.

DO NOT LISTEN TO ME

Posted On:
    3/09/2005 12:13pm

Style: Kickboxing/Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try Apollo's. The owner posts on Sherdog and helped me find my school. Good promoter, good ex-fighter.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2005 12:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the link MasterKiller. I found some good info about Mikey's Gym there: http://www.okfightnews.com/news/p003.html

KM, I'm looking into Apollo's. There's not much info at all on their website... www.apolloskarate.com
    Last edited by Ack; 3/09/2005 12:23pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2005 1:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ack
    Great! Now I have some info rolling in! Thanks, everyone.

Bryan, if you don't mind my asking, why did you leave Gibson's for Adam's? How do Adam's and Gibson's schools compare to each other? What are the strengths and weaknesses of each? You can send me a private message if you don't want to answer publicly.
    Not a problem - when our Instructor Terry Gibson died, Sam spun off and I was pretty heartbroken and stopped training (like a lot of other people). I continued at Gibson's and helped Sam here and there at his new place and just gradually started going there exclusively. Nothing against any of the guys at IMAT - great instructors and we still have some of the most respected martial artists in the world come in several times a year (Guro Dan Inosanto, etc). I keep in touch with a lot of the guys over there and all the others that have spun off (Harley Elmore & Eric Jensen, Wichita Falls - www.warriorswaytx.com, Heather Mondee, Denver - www.denverama.com). I could still go back to Gibson's and be very happy there - same content, excellent instruction at both places. Adam's is much stronger for Muay Thai and Gibson's is much stronger for FMA, JKD, MMA... so keep that in consideration.

In what area of Tulsa do you live?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2005 1:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I live in Midtown near 31st and Memorial. IMAT is closer to me, but I don't mind a little driving.

Thanks for the info. I've been strongly considering both of these schools, and you seem to be the perfect source of information, so I'm going to pick your brain a little more if you don't mind.

Do both schools do hard sparring (full contact or close to it) in both standup and groundfighting? How often?

Are there any "open gym hours" where students can come in and train with the equipment when there's no class?

How full are the adult classes? How many students are there for the average class?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2005 1:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I live in Midtown near 31st and Memorial. IMAT is closer to me, but I don't mind a little driving.

Thanks for the info. I've been strongly considering both of these schools, and you seem to be the perfect source of information, so I'm going to pick your brain a little more if you don't mind.

Do both schools do hard sparring (full contact or close to it) in both standup and groundfighting? How often?

Are there any "open gym hours" where students can come in and train with the equipment when there's no class?

How full are the adult classes? How many students are there for the average class?
    I'm not sure how Darrian is doing sparring now, but I'm sure they still spar. It isn't required, but depending on the class and with whom you're working, you can go as hard as you want (with control - no need to injure yourself and disrupt training). At Adam's we do Muay Thai sparring quite a bit, have a small ring in the Academy (81st & Sheriden - stop in and tell Sam we talked on here). From my understanding Darrian is doing a lot more with Erik Paulsen now, so grappling/groundfighting there will probably be much stronger - although we do it, there just aren't many people besides me and Sam that are half decent. The focus is really on Thai Boxing and fight training - but we also do regular FMA (Kali/Silat, etc), MMA (Jun Fan/JKD, etc).

We had open floor at Gibson's a while back, so I'm sure he still does, but don't know for sure. Honestly, you can't go wrong with either school. I have the utmost respect for both Chief Instructors. Dale Cook is a cool guy too, was a great fighter, and puts out some excellent fighters still. I'd rate IMAT/Adams a strong #1 and Apollo's a stong #2. If you want exclusive grappling/groundfighting, the Lion's Den is where I'd be, but I'm not sure exactly what Mikey is doing now - he may be training with Dale. Dale's main spot is at 51st & Mingo if you didn't know - IMAT 41st & Mingo, and Adam's 81st & Sheriden.

I live on 31st Place & Memorial - pretty funny!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2005 2:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanORourke

I live on 31st Place & Memorial - pretty funny!
    Ha! I guess I could have just put a sign up on the side of the road asking for advice rather than posting here... :) Anyway, thanks a lot for your help.

Do you think it would be acceptable for me to just show up some night at both places to observe a class, or should I call ahead?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2005 2:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ha! I guess I could have just put a sign up on the side of the road asking for advice rather than posting here... :) Anyway, thanks a lot for your help.

Do you think it would be acceptable for me to just show up some night at both places to observe a class, or should I call ahead?
    Either way will be fine - Sam's cell phone is 527-8743 and IMAT I believe is 627-8866 (unless is changed w/ the name after Gibson's).

I have Dale's cell number, but I doubt he wants it on a public forum! lol I'm not sure of his academy numbers, but he is usually at the 51st & Mingo spot (main). If you get out to 101st & Memorial (or 111th - I can never remember) you can tell Mike Webster you talked to me as well. If you get a chance to actually talk to Dale (if you check out their place) you can tell him I recommended checking him out as well.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast