Our Sponsors:

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2005 7:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "I think that there is more to throwdowns than seeing who is the best MMA fighter"

There's a lot of truth in that. To take WC as an example, my understanding is that is was developed as a close-in art used in confined spaces. Challenge matches in Hong Kong took place with two guys standing on a table AFAIK. So that doesn't neccesarily convert well to having a large matted area to roam around in.

Perhaps there could be something put in future Throwdowns to work in different situations to reflect this? Otherwise it seems that any person is judged by how good at kickboxing they are (no disrespect to kickboxers) rather than what they actually train for.
    Last edited by RobP; 3/15/2005 7:14am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2005 7:40am

Style: Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zeffff
    Anyway IMO most people there were young and inexperienced so it can only get better if they analyse themself.

Peace
    Couldn't agree more, as one of the youngest there (18) I completely agree with you. That's what's good about having the videos, i can show my instructor and other people who do MA and have them constructively rip them to shreds. Would be only too happy to up the anti next time to conform with the Bullshido Throwdown criteria. Out of interest Zeff, can you put up the link for the FightAuthority thread where they talk about the throwdown. Had a quick search but didn't find anything. Cheers

Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/15/2005 8:49am

supporting member
     Style: Wing Chun Kuen

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @RobP, I agree that fighting under Bullshido's throwdown rules favours those people that train for that sort of thing, but I don't really see anyway around that. I still think though, that it gives a pretty even playing field.

It would probably suit me best if the next throwdown took place in a phone box. I wouldn't have to worry about round kicks and the like, people would be forced to stay in my preferred range, WC arm punches would make more sense, and who in their right mind would want to grapple on the floor of a British phone box? :icon_wink I'd still have to watch out for those MT guys though, they can do a lot of damage from close in.

Jonny

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2005 9:08am

Style: Eskrima, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaney
    Out of interest Zeff, can you put up the link for the FightAuthority thread where they talk about the throwdown. Had a quick search but didn't find anything. Cheers
    here: http://www.fightauthority.com/forum/...er=asc&start=0

Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/15/2005 9:11am

supporting member
     Style: Kickboxing/MT/some BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hell, you have to pay monthly for fightauthority, someone copy the thread and paste it here so mean people can view...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2005 9:16am

Style: Eskrima, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no you dont have to pay to read and post on the forums. Only if you want access to the video library.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/15/2005 9:16am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny
    @RobP, I agree that fighting under Bullshido's throwdown rules favours those people that train for that sort of thing, but I don't really see anyway around that. I still think though, that it gives a pretty even playing field.

It would probably suit me best if the next throwdown took place in a phone box. I wouldn't have to worry about round kicks and the like, people would be forced to stay in my preferred range, WC arm punches would make more sense, and who in their right mind would want to grapple on the floor of a British phone box? :icon_wink I'd still have to watch out for those MT guys though, they can do a lot of damage from close in.

Jonny
    But I think the point is you have to train for all areas, and ranges. Yes as a kickboxer I like the space to move and kick or punch, but having seen fights in pubs and other confined spaces I know you need close in stuff as well. So the Thai elbow and knee work suits just fine. But like many kickboxers the shock was finding out you can be taken out of your zone of comfort and to the floor, the early UFCs were an education, so you can moan and say 'I don't do that' or go and learn it. So off to BJJ or Vale Tudo classes you go.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/15/2005 9:17am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zeffff
    no you dont have to pay to read and post on the forums. Only if you want access to the video library.
    Oh cool, I'll go back now..

Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/15/2005 10:27am

supporting member
     Style: Wing Chun Kuen

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    McKickboxer, I agree with you 100%, though maybe next timewe should add broken glass and lava to take the MMA fighters out of their element.

As for me, I'm planning to attend grappling and VT classes when I'm healthy again (I'm still feckin coughing).

Jonny
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617