Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/04/2005 9:07pm

Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Your training routine for competition?

A while back I wrote my training log down. But alas the forum I posted it on is not allowing me to access, so I figured I'd post it here since there's more people geared towards competition here then there.

So here it is.

Morning: I'd get up at 8 or 9 and go down to the small gym nearby, run on the treadmill for 20-30 minutes, stretch myself out, get the blood flowing kind of. Breakfast consists of high cards, and high protein. Usually eggs, toast, fruit, some combination of that. I don't like meat in the morning :lol: After that, I'd go on a 6 mile run. Since the community college nearby has an open track, I would run there and then run a mile on the track and back home. After that, there's a park nearby that has a steep hill, maybe 60-70 feet. I'd run hill sprints, the goal every day was at least 15, but when I got to 15 I felt I had to out do that, so every day it was trying to beat what I'd done the day before. One day towards the end I was doing in excess of 40, which wasn't too good for me. After that I'd go have lunch, usually chicken, fruit, something like that. After lunch, I'd get n the stationary bike for a while, maybe pop in a tape of fights (I was training for MMA) and check out new techniques, and just watch them.

Afternoon: Head down to the gym to do my weights routine. My routine was pretty simple, my personal trainer gave me the reps and amounts to do on what days to maximize my weight and repetitions. I'd do my normal weight routine, and then push myself further. After I finished my routine, I randomly picked what t kill myself on. Doing this I would pick something, maybe jumping lunges with a 50 lb dumbell, or squats with 200 pounds and do repetitions without stopping until I couldn't do anymore. I did that on purpose in between sets so I would be tired and so I would have to be that much stronger to make it through my next set. I'd finish up all of this around maybe 2:30 or 3pm. After that I'd go to the local freestyle club, and just wrestle with the assistant coaches, and work technique with some of the bigger kids. They were a lot stronger and bigger and it made me work a lot to work my technique, especially since I was already tired, well my body was, my mind wasn't. I used to trick myself into thinking I wasn't.

Evening/Night: After practice, I'd go home, clean off (no ringworm
    :BangHead: ) and then go to another gym to do some standup. I'd shadowbox maybe 2-3 rounds, then spar against anyone who I could, lightly for one round, then a little bit harder the next, and then by the 4th or 5th full blast. There was a little grappling mixed in with the striking, but not much. After that, I'd drive to another practice, and do submissions, guard work, and some more wrestling there. Finish off with staggered sprints, and go home. Late night snack of something with a lot of carbs, and electrolytes.

There's my regiment I went through for 6 weeks. Lot of fun.

RAAAAAAR! Fear the Tiger!

Posted On:
    3/04/2005 10:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have...no job? School? Infinite time and money?
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2005 1:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTiger
    You have...no job? School? Infinite time and money?
    Funny I've been asked that before. As of now I am officially unemployed. When I was training like that last year, I was temporarily employed as a substitute teacher. I took time away from teaching last year, and I didn't miss it as much as I thought I would. As far as finances, I have nothing to worry about there. Upon my 21st birthday (what a great time for it), I received a large inheritence. Due to that, and some careful management of finances, I've set myself for life pretty much. It didn't mean I never worked, it just means that if I decided to retire and never work again tomorrow I could and be fine with it. I bought a condo in Nassau, and when I'm not there I live with my mother in Phoenix. She likes having me around, and I think it's important to be close to family. She's a retiree and enjoys herself, and it's very stress free because she knows I'm around if she needs help.

I haven't been to Nassau in quite a while though. I was meaning to go back, but didn't want to go during hurricane season. Then I was set to go and lost my passport somewhere, so I had to get a new one issued. Which is silly since I'm a Bahamian citizen. Oh well. So there's the explanation about why I was able to train that way for 6 weeks.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/05/2005 1:22am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sweet.

Anyone else thinking about their training after reading that? :car9:

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    3/05/2005 2:17am

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My buddy and I once trained for a sub wrestling comp by drinking beers every night after classes for a week and even the night before. We just wanted to see how we'd do. He didn't place but I took second as I lost by armbar in the finals. I had to fight two weight classes up cause there was nobody in my class. Can't complain about the result. T. Ortiz competed and didn't win either.
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2005 8:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That sounds like how I trained to wrestle collegiately my first 2 years. Then I realized that maybe that wasn't such a good idea. haha

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    3/05/2005 8:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by International W
    That sounds like how I trained to wrestle collegiately my first 2 years. Then I realized that maybe that wasn't such a good idea. haha
    Yeah, it was an experiment for us as we'd typically not drink for the last week prior. Hell, even that is bad I guess? "But coach, I haven't been shitfaced in over a week I swear!"

:BangHead:
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/06/2005 3:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like the joke used to go about me in college, the closest I ever came to a 4.0 in college was my BAC....

[This space for rent]

Posted On:
    3/07/2005 12:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate you, International W.

DO NOT LISTEN TO ME

Posted On:
    3/07/2005 12:44pm

Style: Kickboxing/Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah seriously, haha.

By the time works over, I barely have enough drive/energy left to work out for an hour.

If I had no obligations I would love to train all day like that.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast