Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    8/07/2002 8:08pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah... that kinda confuses me. Does it have anything to do with Cherry Tree Blossoms? Samurai were equated to that, and they're pink... or does it mean you're gay?

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Professional Fighter

Posted On:
    8/07/2002 8:53pm

Style: Tai Chi & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe every martial art has something of value. Including TKD. My beef is with these money hungry clowns who call themselves instructors!
  3. 9chambers

Posted On:
    8/08/2002 2:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't mean to imply that TKD was not effective in and of itself. I just meant that the side guard is not as practical as the front guard when grappling and kicks to the leg and back are legal.

In Korean TKD I believe you will see that the side guard stance is a transitional stance, not one you should camp in like Olympic point sparring participants do.

It is used by them because it hides the legal target area located on the front of the torso. There are front guards in TKD kata. The skipping side kick and back heel kick.. those are powerful kicks. The weapons in TKD are really cool. I just think that the fundamentals of sport TKD are very different from the fundamentals of combat.

The pivot in most TKD kicking is the same as Karate and Kung Fu. I am not saying it isn't effective. If you do a skipping sidekick your foot will be facing the other way in an extended pivot, sure. That is good form.

But such a pivot is not natural when you are at close ranges or your enemy has closed the distance too fast. In short-range kicks most people settle for a half or 3/4 pivot. Less than that when in very close range. Also the extended pivot isn't natural for your rear leg kicks or when you are facing your enemy. I think most people know that.

I believe the fact that Olympic point sparring is linear is important here. You can retreat and advance but not circle around. In that situation long kicks from a side guard can come in to play more - closing distance and giving ground. skipping.. When put into an octagon with a fense halting your retreat - you don't have room to use your long kicks. That limits TKD people who focus on the long kicks.

In my opinion, TKD was built to keep your opponant at a distance. Hence the focus on kicking, since your leg is your longest limb. This is not a bad thing really. You just can't depend solely on long attacks like point sparring teaches you to do.

my kung fu eeeeeees better than yours!

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    8/08/2002 7:48am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pink Socks in Korea used to be as signe for Mafia. Also Pink shirt with white neck tie. Yeah I know it's funny. I laughed the first time I saw a guy wearing pink socks. Then found out that it wasn't a wise thing to do. But times have changed they don't use these anymore I think, but I haven't been back to Korea in 8 years.

Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!! THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE AGAINST THE UNITED AUSSIE FRONT!!
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2002 7:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great to see some informative posts.

TKD was developed in the 50's from Chinese, Japanese, and French (I am NOT kidding!) martial arts. It was meant to provide an art that Koreans could grasp as their own. Their own arts had been pretty much wiped out due to the widespread destruction of 'native' arts and culture by extended Japanese occupation. It was developed by the Koreans with American and French advisors.

There is nothing wrong with a new art, but just as TMAs place so much emphasis on tradition and age, so too do the Koreans. Many thought it was shameful to have lost their native arts and created the myth that now surrounds TKD. That the TKD has been mostly propogated by McDojos outside of Korea has had a detrimental effect on the public perception of TKD and the martial arts in general.

Wandering Daoist

Posted On:
    8/15/2002 2:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Asia, I remember this tough-looking Korean exchange student (who knew Hapkido) that got laughed at for wearing tight pants until the other Korean exchange students told us he was probably with a gang back in the old country.

As for TKD, I can give it respect as a good martial art in the right hands (or feet), but for the art to continue evolving the current masters need to research handwork more, give points for punches in sparring (I could knock a kid two feet back with a punch in a TKD tournament and not get a point), and start allowing limited punches to the face. Even if the handwork is secondary to the kicks, just to create openings or provide defense or as a secondary weapon, it should be developed beyond more than just blocking and basic punches.

--------------------
    And that's what I call REAL Ultimate Power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "The morning glory blooms for an hour. It differs not at heart from the giant pine, which lives for a thousand years."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2002 2:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I smell a troll in this topic but I will post anyway. I have trained tae Kwon do from a credible korean master that also taught hapkido and judo. To me even when one is obscenely good at it is so fundamentally flawed as a fighting art that it is almost completely a waste of time for anyone who cannot devote their life to it. Even if they can, they will most likely catch a beat down from a muay thai guy or a BJJ purple belt. So, I have a reason for thinking TKD is weak. But hey, it is fun. I don't know if fun helps you in a fight though.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    8/15/2002 4:08pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a black belt in TKD (five years) -- I was hands down the best sparring fighter the school had, except I couldn't control the punches to the head because I also trained boxing -- and after two months with my JKD instructor I had a better sidekick than I've ever had in my life. And we only train high kicks to know what to do when some idiot throws one on the street.

TKD in North America is run by the "Korean Mafia" -- it's a money grab. They were charging $1000 bucks to test for black belt, which is when I walked.

And bullshit it's an ancient art. It's maybe MAYBE 150 years old. Not that that matters: my "art" is only 40 years old. Just don't claim it's something it isn't.

"Everyone listen to her. The walking timebomb..." -- USARULES, talking about the author.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    8/15/2002 6:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    >I could knock a kid two feet back with a punch in a TKD tournament and not get a point

LOL! I've actually been disqualified for doing this.
    But you can't judge an art by what they allow or don't allow in a tournaments.

Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!! THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE AGAINST THE UNITED AUSSIE FRONT!!
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2002 6:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    EVERYONE who thinks TKD is IMPRACTICAL, INEFFECTIVE and FOOLISH. Take a trip to Korea...
    Funny how everyone says that these martial arts suck in the US but are great in the country of origin. The CMA guys say "go to China and you'll find the effectiveness" and the TKD guys say "go to Korrea to see the real thing".

I guess the Brazillians must be smarter than martial artists in all the other part of the world. All the other "real" martial artists who can actually fight stay in their own countries where they can make 1/20 the money they could make in the US.

I don't know about anyone else, but if I was a "real" martial artist in one of these countries (making, maybe 200 bucks a month), I would be heading to the US to put a beat down challenge, ala Rorion Gracie, on all the BJJ and MMA guys here. I figure it wouldn't take too long till your school had a line running around the block.

Edited by - knifefighter on August 15 2002 18:31:13
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast