Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2005 11:56am

Style: hapkido/mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

freud

I am a looong way from being any kind of expert on this, but didn't freud have some kind of theory about the thanatos or death instinct? my understanding is that we all have a desire to return to a state where there is no pain and all of our desires are instantly satisfied.

Since we can't get back to the womb, some part of us thinks it can maybe find this in death/oblivion, which is why when you're standing on the edge of a cliff or other similarly high and exposed place, a small bit of your mind kind of wants to jump (please say its not just me). supposed to also explain the pleasure of orgasm (petite mort) when you do become totally oblivious and satisfied for a brief period.

This has obviously got interesting ramifications if applied to the realm of martial arts.

I know that much of what freud wrote has been largely discredited and I'm not sure if this is still an accepted psychoanalytical theory. Can anyone help me out with that?

this stuff is interesting enough to while away idle time with, but its the kind of thing I get bored with pretty quickly. I'm sure there's something to it but I don't think its something you can access through talking/reading etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2005 1:22pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dunno about Freud, but incredible force is possible to generate. Your body sets limits on the amount of muscles you are able to recruit consciously - so you can't go around using 100% of your potential strength. It's a natural protection mechanism to prevent injury. In situations of extreme stress, your body just says "**** it, it's go time" and you're able to do ridiculous feats like lifting cars, punching through doors, etc.

So, it would not be unreasonable to say that you could increase your conscious muscle recruitment from say, 50% to 70% through training (Chi, meditation, whatever).

All of this is just restating what everyone else has said. Post count +1!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2005 12:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by supercrap
    Or, explaining the role of the mind in generating power.

I was told that this was the kind of power we were trying to harness when I was training in Wing Chun. To have such a strong and stable connection between body and mind, or intention and action, that our physical power was in fact magnified just by thinking about it.

So, like, what's the deal? Can this mental power be harnessed or is it just too difficult and hit and miss?
    It is well known among many martial artists, that mental power (the power that one's intent generates--the chi that circulates via the meridians) can be harnessed (or rather, integrated into the body/mind). With proper training, this power is always "on." This "super-strength" becomes natural.
    Last edited by Space Cowboy; 3/18/2005 1:43pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2005 2:36pm

Style: MMA, Fighting Irish

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is my belief, that the "Chi/Ki - Internal Energy" crap, is just your full Physical, Mental, Emotional Intent and Adrenaline, which when used as a complete unit will make the person seem as though they had super strength and invincibility.

Of course, how strong those properties are by themselves to begin with, will also determine your potential energy/power output.

This is not some mystical power you harness, but a natural occuring "phenomena" you learn to control at will.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    3/21/2005 5:35pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon
    Supercrap the only moron in this thread is you.

I said to myself I'm going to put him BACK in my guard no matter what! AND I DID IT!

WOOOO! You were able to go from half guard to guard, congragulations. A feat no one has accomplished but you. I am glad you let us in on the secret of the chi!

Just tell myself I can do it and I can do anything I want. Your logic is bullshit, lots of people tell themselves they can and they don't.

Try telling yourself you can fly off a bridge and then come back and tell me how that turns out, you ass.
    He didn't say you can do anything if you believe you can, he said your mental attitute was a major factor in doing something that is physically possible.

Totally missing his point, taking it out of context, and then trying to apply it to something totally different makes you look like a dumbass.

PL

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/25/2005 8:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For a clearer understanding of what an IMA is and the use of chi for health and in combat, visit the following link. www.pa-kua.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12