222071 Bullies, 4059 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 61 to 70 of 73
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 8 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Kungfoolss is offline

    I restore the Balance

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Sunny Hawaii
    Posts
    4,972

    Posted On:
    4/07/2005 2:04am

    Join us... or die
     Style: I wear pants

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris.B
    Maybe we should just get someone to write a 2 page summery or something.
    I can sum it up in one sentence - Taebo Master is a wanker. :laughing9
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena
  2. Meex is offline
    Meex's Avatar

    Loving Father

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Upstate
    Posts
    3,001

    Posted On:
    4/07/2005 1:51pm

    supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kungfoolss
    I can sum it up in one sentence - Taebo Master is a wanker. :laughing9
    It's from all that "Full-contact Aerobics" training he does!

    `~/
  3. Kintama is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    96

    Posted On:
    4/29/2005 3:33pm


     Style: Goju

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    McAnswers

    1) Most here at Bullshido understand that the site's purpose is to RIDICULE.

    2) A McDojo is an establishment where martial arts is BOUGHT AND PAID FOR.

    3) Bullshido is when the circumstances are found to be CIRCUMSTANCIAL.

    4) Just because I post here, I am GUILTY BY ASSOCIATION to represent Bullshido.
  4. Basai is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2

    Posted On:
    5/09/2005 10:28am


     Style: Shotokan/Mixed

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so this is my first visit to this site, and well I'm not all that surprised. I was intrigued by the wit of the sites title bullshido heh made me chuckle. I must admit I'm not entirely clear on the sites purpose though I am interested in what I interperated the purpose to be so for that reason I'll answer the questions.

    1 sites purpose...given the title and the intent I assume it is to debunk freudulent claims, abilities, backgrounds, histories, etc. It seems since there is no real governing body licensing the martial arts industry in the united states it is necessary for them to govern themselves and I certainly support that.

    2 McDojo another witty reference I might add but I am a bit taken by some of the responses here. I do wonder by these responses how many of you actually own dojos or actually apreciate what you have learned from your instructors if anything. We'd all like to be independantly wealthy and be able to choose our students and their progress rather than treat them as customers but the fact remains the more money my dojo makes the more I can financially put into it. Ask yourselves, of those that own schools, how many of you DON'T have second jobs, spouses DON'T work? I think you'd find far too few self supportive, good martial arts schools around...anywhere. If you don't own a dojo and are answering this question then ask yourself if your sensei has another job? The fact is a dojo is a business and you are subject to the pains of having to pay expenses, leases, electricity, taxes, etc. and yes you need to market and make money. There is a fine fine line between being true to your art and "taking care of the customer" granted many fall on the wrong side of that line in an effort to support themselves but I also think you'd be hard pressed to find too many average joe dojo owners driving ferraris to work either. Don't get me wrong there are freuds out there.

    3. bullshido would reference anyone that would pretend not only to be someone they are not but know something they do not...I've found much bullshido in this thread alone.

    4. I represent myself and myself alone. I speak for no one else. ever I wonder how many others can say the same


    This forum has potential yet can very quickly fall from what I believed its original intent.
  5. Feryk is offline

    Boneheaded Optimist

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Keep going North until I say stop
    Posts
    2,109

    Posted On:
    5/09/2005 11:33am

    supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Basai
    so this is my first visit to this site, and well I'm not all that surprised. I was intrigued by the wit of the sites title bullshido heh made me chuckle. I must admit I'm not entirely clear on the sites purpose though I am interested in what I interperated the purpose to be so for that reason I'll answer the questions.

    1 sites purpose...given the title and the intent I assume it is to debunk freudulent claims, abilities, backgrounds, histories, etc. It seems since there is no real governing body licensing the martial arts industry in the united states it is necessary for them to govern themselves and I certainly support that.

    2 McDojo another witty reference I might add but I am a bit taken by some of the responses here. I do wonder by these responses how many of you actually own dojos or actually apreciate what you have learned from your instructors if anything. We'd all like to be independantly wealthy and be able to choose our students and their progress rather than treat them as customers but the fact remains the more money my dojo makes the more I can financially put into it. Ask yourselves, of those that own schools, how many of you DON'T have second jobs, spouses DON'T work? I think you'd find far too few self supportive, good martial arts schools around...anywhere. If you don't own a dojo and are answering this question then ask yourself if your sensei has another job? The fact is a dojo is a business and you are subject to the pains of having to pay expenses, leases, electricity, taxes, etc. and yes you need to market and make money. There is a fine fine line between being true to your art and "taking care of the customer" granted many fall on the wrong side of that line in an effort to support themselves but I also think you'd be hard pressed to find too many average joe dojo owners driving ferraris to work either. Don't get me wrong there are freuds out there.

    3. bullshido would reference anyone that would pretend not only to be someone they are not but know something they do not...I've found much bullshido in this thread alone.

    4. I represent myself and myself alone. I speak for no one else. ever I wonder how many others can say the same


    This forum has potential yet can very quickly fall from what I believed its original intent.

    You know, every so often someone comes here, and posts soemthing like this, then we rarely, if ever, hear from them again. I'm going to take the chance that you might actually stick around long enough to read my response, and address some of the issues you've raised.

    1.) This site was established by Phrost in order to expose some of the bad practices rampant in MA. A new student to MA can and has been ripped off to the tune of several thousand dollars for training that is subpar at best. This, unfortunately, is not as rare as we would like to believe. By creating a forum where people can ask questions, and discuss their experiences, Phrost has created a FREE resource for people looking to do their homework. I believe the idea has merit, and I know I've directed a couple of people here, and they were able to make better decisions based on what they've learned.

    2.) The business pressures of a dojo are not the responsibility of the student. That is what the sensei signs up for when he hangs out a shingle. The issue isn't whether or not the sensei makes money. It's how much value for the dollar is he creating? Has he compromised the standards of his art in order to pay the rent? Too many times, the answer is yes. Not all schools do this, but some do.

    3.) One of the issues with an online forum is that people can appear to be something they are not. Phrost and the mods do their best to sort out a lot of this, but unfortunately, it IS one of the problems with a resource of this nature. Having said that, there are people on this forum who are qualified, DO have experience in a variety of styles at a high level, and believe in the philosophy of this site. A little time here will help you get to know who is who rather quickly.

    4.) I had to think about why you would write this. Are you claiming 'hidden agendas' on the part of some of the forum members? Or are you just trying to isolate yourself from your MA org, so they don't get pissed if they find out you are posting here? All I can say to this is that when I post, it is my own perspectives. If you could explain this more fully, I could understand it better.

    More than anything, this forum believes in giving people a place for a no holds barred discussion of various MA issues. That means you will get the good, the bad, and the ugly, all in one place. If that bothers you, then you should give it a pass.
  6. Basai is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2

    Posted On:
    5/09/2005 2:09pm


     Style: Shotokan/Mixed

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Feryk
    You know, every so often someone comes here, and posts soemthing like this, then we rarely, if ever, hear from them again. I'm going to take the chance that you might actually stick around long enough to read my response, and address some of the issues you've raised.

    you may want to ask why that is

    1.) This site was established by Phrost in order to expose some of the bad practices rampant in MA. A new student to MA can and has been ripped off to the tune of several thousand dollars for training that is subpar at best. This, unfortunately, is not as rare as we would like to believe. By creating a forum where people can ask questions, and discuss their experiences, Phrost has created a FREE resource for people looking to do their homework. I believe the idea has merit, and I know I've directed a couple of people here, and they were able to make better decisions based on what they've learned.

    I have no doubt that there are freudulent dojo's and senseis my access here was purely accidental as this site somehow came up in a google search for something else. Like I said though There is a lot of possibility here, and so I registered. The intent of the forum is commendable but the content, what little I have read is a bit shaky.

    2.) The business pressures of a dojo are not the responsibility of the student. That is what the sensei signs up for when he hangs out a shingle. The issue isn't whether or not the sensei makes money. It's how much value for the dollar is he creating? Has he compromised the standards of his art in order to pay the rent? Too many times, the answer is yes. Not all schools do this, but some do.

    I agree with this for the most part, As I said though reading some of the other posts and their perspective it seems as though if they find a sensei not kicking the hell out of his students and eating dirt for lunch they have somehow compromised their ideals. Everyone understands that a dojo is two things first and always formost a place to learn and train in the martial art of their choice. Second a business. omega? i think his tag is here? has a great sig where he says hurting you is last on his list...well of the long list of reasons why I opened a dojo making money is last on the list...but it is still on the list. All I ask is that my school grow and sustain itself so as not to be a financial burdon on my family. It is infact up to the student to determine the value of their money spent for me the money has never been worth the lesson. As for marketing why shouldn't a dojo market to all individuals? Is my martial art any less valid because I have a women only class? or that I have an anti-bully classes for teens? and anti-stranger classes for toddlers? Is the knowledge of this conveyed some how not self defense to some people because I do not teach all students to snap limbs? Very few people that walk through my doors will ever become a black belt, but that does not mean I should not try to get them there, or at the very least give them pertinant training to make them a better person.

    3.) One of the issues with an online forum is that people can appear to be something they are not. Phrost and the mods do their best to sort out a lot of this, but unfortunately, it IS one of the problems with a resource of this nature. Having said that, there are people on this forum who are qualified, DO have experience in a variety of styles at a high level, and believe in the philosophy of this site. A little time here will help you get to know who is who rather quickly.

    I'm sure this is true. I've read some very intelligent responses including yours. I just wanted to offer a perspective not presented yet

    4.) I had to think about why you would write this. Are you claiming 'hidden agendas' on the part of some of the forum members? Or are you just trying to isolate yourself from your MA org, so they don't get pissed if they find out you are posting here? All I can say to this is that when I post, it is my own perspectives. If you could explain this more fully, I could understand it better.

    heh, there is no hidden agenda I know no one here. My organization already knows how I feal about my students and my superiors. I have nothing to prove here, and nothing to hide as I said I just sort of stumbled into the discussion. I thought I made that clear in my post. Up until this statement really I thought we could have a good discussion. I'm not sure what your point is with this? I did not claim to be anyone or do anything. Nor will I. I know as well as all of you there is no validation in who I am or who you are until we actually meet, and even then I will make no claims as to my abilities or agendas.

    More than anything, this forum believes in giving people a place for a no holds barred discussion of various MA issues. That means you will get the good, the bad, and the ugly, all in one place. If that bothers you, then you should give it a pass.
    Very little if anything bothers me let alone posts in an online forum. I'm not entirely sure if this was an attempt to discredit my opinion or not but the discussion is intriguing. In any industry there are freuds this is why there are laws, regulations, and licensing boards. These things protect the consumers from getting something that is not what it claims. The martial arts industry needs the same really. As much as we would all hate to admit that. Fundimentally, what will remove the "McDojos" from the world is consumer education. Only by educating the consumer will the circus acts dwindle. But then who reliable enough to do the education in the first place? As a "whitebelt" to this forum I will decide myself on its validity and my future course of action as to whether it is worth my time to come here. I do not intend to insult anyone by this statement. It is a simple fact, either this forum will be a place to gain perspective and insights from other blackbelts across the country or it won't.
  7. Feryk is offline

    Boneheaded Optimist

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Keep going North until I say stop
    Posts
    2,109

    Posted On:
    5/09/2005 2:31pm

    supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Basai
    heh, there is no hidden agenda I know no one here. My organization already knows how I feal about my students and my superiors. I have nothing to prove here, and nothing to hide as I said I just sort of stumbled into the discussion. I thought I made that clear in my post. Up until this statement really I thought we could have a good discussion. I'm not sure what your point is with this? I did not claim to be anyone or do anything. Nor will I. I know as well as all of you there is no validation in who I am or who you are until we actually meet, and even then I will make no claims as to my abilities or agendas
    My 'point' was that I didn't understand your point. I was asking for clarification.

    Quote Originally Posted by Basai
    I'm not entirely sure if this was an attempt to discredit my opinion or not but the discussion is intriguing.
    No. I have no reason to attempt to discredit you.



    Quote Originally Posted by Basai
    As a "whitebelt" to this forum I will decide myself on its validity and my future course of action as to whether it is worth my time to come here. I do not intend to insult anyone by this statement. It is a simple fact, either this forum will be a place to gain perspective and insights from other blackbelts across the country or it won't.
    Welcome to Bullshido.
    Last edited by Feryk; 5/09/2005 2:37pm at .
  8. Bard of DorAr is offline

    Fencing Instructor

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    650

    Posted On:
    8/13/2005 4:52pm


     Style: Sabre/Rapier/Katana

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Way late, but I'll throw my answers up here too.

    1) Most here at Bullshido understand that the site's purpose is to debunk fraudulent martial artists and schools. Or so I'd like to hope that's what most here think, it's what I think.

    2) A McDojo is an establishment where martial arts is taught and purely for profit.

    3) Bullshido is when the circumstances are found to be less than worth the price of the class and/or partially or wholely ineffective for what they're supposed to do. (IE I don't call Kendo or Fencing Schools bullshido because they can't fight for real, but I would call a Boxing School crap if it can't produce a real fighter).

    4) Just because I post here, I am Depressed that there's more weapons talk here than on Arma.. Kidding. I don't represent Bullshido. Maybe when I'm a supporting member and have contributed something more of worth here as well as shown up and gotten thrashed at a few throwdowns I might have a different take. But I'm very careful to phrase things so as to not automatically link myself to this or any other place.
  9. shinai59 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    nowhere important
    Posts
    40

    Posted On:
    8/24/2005 8:30pm


     Style: Taekwondo & kendo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I realize that i'm posting this about a month late....but i feel i should answer the questions so there isn't any future confusion.

    1) Most here at Bullshido understand that the site's purpose is to?
    I believe that most of the people here are unhappy with the misuse of martial arts today and wish to find and expose fraudualant martial arts schools and personel.

    2) A McDojo is an establishment where martial arts is taught and?
    A McDojo is an establishment that uses martial arts for its own personal gain and reputation, with little regard to whether the students are capable to defend themselves.

    3) Bullshido is when the circumstances are found to be?
    My understanding of Bullshido is that it is(but not limited to) fraudulant martial arts, personel, schools or information.

    4) Just because I post here, I am __________________to represent Bullshido?
    My posts are based on my opinions and knowledge of martial arts, all of which i take full responsiblity for, and do not in any way represent Bushido, or any other members on this site.
  10. patfromlogan is offline
    patfromlogan's Avatar

    Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Hilo Island of Hawaii
    Posts
    8,845

    Posted On:
    8/24/2005 9:57pm

    supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where the hell is that Basai guy??

    He can't be emailed or pm'd, it's a shame... This site could use him, now that all the cool guys except me and, uh what 's his name, are gone.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 8 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.