Loving Father

Posted On:
    3/01/2005 10:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

McDojos, Bullshido, and Us!

Due to the recent incident with the Satori McDojo "challenge" situation, I'd like to take a step back, and look at what we are all about in a different light. Here are a few questions each individual needs to answer, and see if we are all on the same page here. Then, we can move forward with a better understanding of our role in the greater scheme of things:

1) Most here at Bullshido understand that the site's purpose is to___________?

2) A McDojo is an establishment where martial arts is taught and __________?

3) Bullshido is when the circumstances are found to be __________________?

4) Just because I post here, I am __________________to represent Bullshido?

Thanks in advance!

`~/

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    3/01/2005 10:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) Most here at Bullshido understand that the site's purpose is to expose fradulent artists and schools

2) A McDojo is an establishment where martial arts are taught and practiced while trying to attract all kinds of people

3) Bullshido is when the circumstances are found to be fraudulent

4) Just because I post here, I am not necessarily representing Bullshido
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Posted On:
    3/01/2005 10:58pm

Style: Knife-jitsu o=]==>

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) Most here at Bullshido understand that the site's purpose is to debunk fraudulant claims in the martial arts community including artists, teachers, and styles.

2) A McDojo is an establishment where martial arts are taught and promototed as something they're not in order for the owner or teacher to gain financial profit.

3) Bullshido is when the circumstances are found to be outrageously fraudulant

4) Just because I post here, I am not necessarily representing Bullshido

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    3/01/2005 11:24pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meex
    Due to the recent incident with the Satori McDojo "challenge" situation, I'd like to take a step back, and look at what we are all about in a different light. Here are a few questions each individual needs to answer, and see if we are all on the same page here. Then, we can move forward with a better understanding of our role in the greater scheme of things:

1) Most here at Bullshido understand that the site's purpose is to___________?

2) A McDojo is an establishment where martial arts is taught and __________?

3) Bullshido is when the circumstances are found to be __________________?

4) Just because I post here, I am __________________to represent Bullshido?

Thanks in advance!

`~/
    1. The purpose of this site, as I understand it, is to help the martial arts as an industry and a product self police - in an ideal world, BS would be populated by "good" martial artists who put a spotlight on less legitmate or effective ones. It is also a place where psuedo-mystic martial arts urban legends and misconceptions are put to the test and often debunked.

2. A 'McDojo' is a school that uses an exceedingly profit oriented business structure. Warning signs include long term contracts like those used in health clubs, sometimes together with a collection agecny, an emphasis on merchandise and equipment, and an uneccesary number of ranks or belts, which are often paid for by the rank or test for rank.

3. 'Bullshido' is the word we use for excess mysticism, training or fighting practices with no basis in science, the elevation of martial arts instruction into a cult of personality, confused attempts to lend historical credence to a martial art or particular instructor of a martial art, rank selling, inventing styles without qualification, as well as braggidocio or outright false claims by martial artists, and non-functioning technique.

4. Just because I post here, I am possed of no special right to represent Bullshido. I do, however, have a duty to make sure my mention of the site elsewhere portray it in a good light.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    3/02/2005 12:08am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) Most here at Bullshido understand that the site's purpose is to provide accurate information concerning all types of martial arts and the veracity of claims made by individuals in the martial arts arena.

2) A McDojo is an establishment where martial arts is taught and students are led to believe that they have abilities which in reality, they do not have.

3) Bullshido is when the circumstances are found to be in opposition to reality, as pertaining to the martial arts.

4) Just because I post here, I am NOT to represent Bullshido.

You're welcome.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/02/2005 12:10am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ and then some

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) Most here at Bullshido understand that the site's purpose is to identify and combat fraudulence in Martial Arts

2) A McDojo is an establishment where martial arts is taught and not with the express intrest in transmitting quality training, but rather with the interest of generating money.

3) Bullshido is when the circumstances are found to be blatantly fraudulent, with no apparent care to the fact that the taught techniques may result in serious injury to the one who has been taken in by the charade.

4) Just because I post here, I am not qualified to represent Bullshido

That's alright I guess, if I have to put it into small sentences.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    3/02/2005 12:19am

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) Most here at Bullshido understand that the site's purpose is to expose frauds in the martial arts and provide cheery and upbeat comraderie with like-minded individuals.

2) A McDojo is an establishment where martial arts is taught and students follow a pre-planned mediocre course of study which produces mediocre skills at best.

3) Bullshido is when the circumstances are found to be fraudulent of criminal. Being so stupid as to be laughable is effectively fraudulent; see Ashida Kim.

4) Just because I post here, I am behooved to represent Bullshido to the best of my ability.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/02/2005 12:26am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) Most here at Bullshido understand that the site's purpose is to be a beacon through the fog of frauds, McDojos, and bad MA of all types.

2) A McDojo is an establishment where the emphasis is on money not technique.

3) Bullshido is when the circumstances are found to be a style or instructor is not grounded in reality.

4) Just because I post here, I am not to represent Bullshido.

I have a Master Degre in McDojology with a minor in Bullshido.

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    3/02/2005 1:26am

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Meex,

I don't know if there is any more to add to the questions you've asked.

I could answer the same way as everyone else, but there is not really any point.

Instead, I'd like to know what the point of the exercise is. IOW, where do we go from here?

Loving Father

Posted On:
    3/02/2005 2:25am

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Feryk
    Meex:
    I don't know if there is any more to add to the questions you've asked.
    I could answer the same way as everyone else, but there is not really any point.
    Instead, I'd like to know what the point of the exercise is. IOW, where do we go from here?
    Well. . .there have been many misconceptions on here about what exactly is Bullshido, or a McDojo. These posts show that at least we agree. . .but I'm sure that many out there who aren't posting (178 views, 8 posts), may have a diffent take on it, and it is those members & guests that I hope will get the message.

The point was to try to educate the others who may not understand, or who may have the wrong idea of what the stand is here. There are also many who would want to use any group that they feel they belong to, to back up their (possibly misguided) point, or whatever. . .all in the name of this site?

Having this thread may not help prevent what happened within that Satori Dojo situation. . .but, hopefully assure it happens less often.

Feryk - post your answers. . .here're mine:

1) Most here at Bullshido understand that the site's purpose is to debunk, out, or otherwise expose fraudelent claims and practices in the martial arts community. To protect the consumer, and to educate the public in these areas.

2) A McDojo is an establishment where martial arts is taught and while not necessarily useless, it's prime focus is on profit, and not on fighting, or self defense.

3) Bullshido is when the circumstances are found to be fraudulent, baseless, and the claims made by a group or establishment cannot be proven, or it's theories too d34d1y.

4) Just because I post here, I am in no way shape or form authorized to represent Bullshido?

Great answers, so far. . . how 'bout the rest of ya?
    Also, being that Phrost is credited as coining the word(s) Bullshido, (and McDojo?), their definitions are totally his to decide.
    This is just an exercise to find out if we, as a group of individuals, are getting his and this site's message.

`~/
    Last edited by Meex; 3/02/2005 5:12am at .
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast