Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Village Idiot

Posted On:
    3/06/2005 4:47pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't understand why I see no elbows being thrown?

I would think when in a clinch on the cage that more people would push off and throw some elbows. The only person I really see do this is Chuck Lidell.

Anyways, I think that a lot of strikers are lacking. That is why the best fighters are the most experienced strikers who have great defense.

I like the way the UFC is setup now, people just need to learn to stick to their sprawl. A lot of strikers get over zealous and get taken down.

If they would just keep sprawling out and throw a couple punches when the grappler tries to stand back up than things would be going a lot better for strikers.
    I'll make one when I can find one I like.

DO NOT LISTEN TO ME

Posted On:
    3/06/2005 5:14pm

Style: Kickboxing/Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiji-ate
    Fouls:
    - Small joint manipulation.
    - Spiking an opponent to the canvas on his head or neck.

Just a few questions about UFC rules. What exactly does small joint manipulation include? I assume wrist, finger, ankle locks etc. Does this include hitting the joints as well? The rule seems a little vague.

Also, would the rule "Spiking an opponent to the canvas on his head or neck" eliminate koshi nage's, and other such throws? It's quite easy for someone to land on their head or shoulder if they don't know how to breakfall properly.

I didn't see anything about palm strikes. Are they legal?
    Haha, its so you cant break a grapplers fingers and render them useless.

Professional Fighter/Instructor

Posted On:
    3/06/2005 10:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Pro-Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "I like the way the UFC is setup now, people just need to learn to stick to their sprawl. A lot of strikers get over zealous and get taken down.

If they would just keep sprawling out and throw a couple punches when the grappler tries to stand back up than things would be going a lot better for strikers."

First off takedowns are not always done off a shot.Not hardly.Many great grapplers and great freestyle or colligiate wrestlers NEVER shoot.Same goes for MMA.
    Sprawling is of course crucial.But having a great sprawl does not defend even a shot completely.There are outside singles(for example) which is sprawled on can leave an attacker behind you as you are rising.And there are a TON of ways to get a man down who has sprawled on you.Most obviously a simple sitout.
    When I shoot I just try to make sure if you sprawl on me you've only got under me on one side.This is often more crucial than deep penetration or a good drive.
    If you get one hand inside amd the other wraps around my chest(a bad habit MOST guys will do) I can overhoook your arm go for a roll or a sitouut that works on your shoulder and plants your face.
    Sprawling is great.But it is mostly possible in MMA when a fighter who aims to shoot doesn't have the punching arsenal to make a defender sweat getting hit in the head.
    Look at Coleman-Cro Cop.
    When Mark punched he hit Cro Cop twice clean and got no reaction.
    He landed because Cro Cop was devoting most all his attention to the shot which is colemans specialty and his only hope of winning.
    If my punches are a threat to hurt you then sprawling on me will be very hard.I can throw a combo that forces you to keep your hands up and/or move your head which almost eliminates any chance of you sprawling.At least before I have a leg tightly held.
    There are still ways to stay up, but it becomes more about moving and timing.

As for the implications that the UFC favors grappling.I believe I refuted those accusations(and proved the reverse) back in 1997 on Rec.Martial-arts.

As for why rules were put in.
    The UFC was FORCED to put in rules so as to weaken the position of those politicians looking to ban the sport.They put in rules like "no pressure points"(at one time anyways) as a PR move.They knew it would have no affect on the matches.
    If you wanna see MMA with far less rules check out the rules of the IVC in brazil.
    I believe a link can be found through http://www.bjj.org
    The rules are posted on the site.They numbered 4 the last time I checked.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123