Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/02/2005 4:00pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/HapKiDo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you have a bone shell around your kidneys? Because you do have a skull. The kidneys are particularly vunlerable because of their placement within the body. Besides why are you arguing this with me? Did I make the rule?
    Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/02/2005 4:06pm

supporting member
     Style: MT, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden
    Do you have a bone shell around your kidneys? Because you do have a skull. The kidneys are particularly vunlerable because of their placement within the body. Besides why are you arguing this with me? Did I make the rule?
    For all I know, you might have.

I only ask because I see people like Royce using it in the early UFC's and it seems like a fun thing to do.

Hell, Haymakers tend to cause the brain to shut down momentarily so they should be banned immeadiately!

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    3/02/2005 4:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm gunna tap you out with a wristlock, bitch! Aikido wins!
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    3/06/2005 9:21am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Majique
    Yes, they just suck.

Why are kicks to the kidney from guard not allowed?
    Kidney kicks are not something that particular hurts alot at the moment, but rather are something that catches up to you. On top of that, they never really factored decisively into who won/lost that match but are just something of an annoyance and way to push the guy on top of you into the fight.

So, ultimately their small role in a fight didnt outweigh the fact that they can serious damage your kidneys, which is no small deal.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/06/2005 10:32am

Style: Karate, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I disagree with the no strikes to the backside of an opponent. Also with the no downward elbow strikes. It really makes it hard to punish grapplers who blow takedowns. All they need to do is tuck up and cover their front and get out quick. This is a big reason why strikers don't do as well anymore as they did in the early UFC's. Also takes away some of the realism factor.

Ready are you? What know you of ready?

Posted On:
    3/06/2005 1:36pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT(& Prenatal Yoga)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oboro Shogun
    .This is a big reason why strikers don't do as well anymore as they did in the early UFC's.

Huh?!?? I was almost with you up to there.

Seriously, what are you talking about? Who are these strikers?
    If a `religion' is defined to be a system of ideas that contains unprovable statements, then Godel taught us that mathematics is not only a religion, it is the only religion that can prove itself to be one. -- John Barrow

Talk to TBK's boyfriend:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/06/2005 2:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just mean that there aren't as many pure strikers nowadays that can hang well. Everybody's gotta get used to going to the ground, which they should anyway. Grapplers are a lot braver now though as limiting striker's options allows them to really just charge right in there more safely.

Ready are you? What know you of ready?

Posted On:
    3/06/2005 2:31pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT(& Prenatal Yoga)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where the **** have you been? What UFC are you talking about? What strikers are you referring to? Give me names and events, k thanx

How many 'pure' grapplerz can hang?
    If a `religion' is defined to be a system of ideas that contains unprovable statements, then Godel taught us that mathematics is not only a religion, it is the only religion that can prove itself to be one. -- John Barrow

Talk to TBK's boyfriend:

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    3/06/2005 4:08pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oboro Shogun
    I disagree with the no strikes to the backside of an opponent. Also with the no downward elbow strikes. It really makes it hard to punish grapplers who blow takedowns. All they need to do is tuck up and cover their front and get out quick. This is a big reason why strikers don't do as well anymore as they did in the early UFC's. Also takes away some of the realism factor.
    Strikes to the spine of an opponent are much more of a grapplers tool than a strikers tool. Very often you'll see people get their backs taken in MMA, and they'll give this position usually because they're getting hit in the face. Once on their back, their opponent cant really hit them with the same verocity and sometimes they can manage to escape/ ride out the time limit.

Look at some of Bustamante's early fights (hes got a HL clip at subfighter) and you'll see exactly what Im talking about- he punished people with elbows to the spine in his MMA matches.

As far as a striker using it against a grappler for failed shots, you need to be rooted in the ground in order to strike effectively (for leverage). If you sprawl out, you no longer have anywhere near the same leverage for throwing elbows. If you dont sprawl, then you'll get taken down.

UFC rules heavily favor strikers, not grapplers. They want this so as to cater towards the American audience which would rather see kickboxing matches than wrestling matches.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/06/2005 4:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you break a takedown, especially one to the lower body by going to a lower stance yourself and pulling back a bit, you're still planted plenty enough to give a nice elbow to the head while the grapplers tries to regain his ground.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast