Posted On:
    3/01/2005 3:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HAPKO3
    No.

Fighting is objetive. There's no room for "feels like". You either can win or you can't.

Hapko3's advice is often like iodine: Stings like hell, but it's good for you.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/01/2005 3:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Street

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HAPKO3
    No.

Fighting is objetive. There's no room for "feels like". You either can win or you can't.

Fighting is more objective the closer you get to the following scenario - two people fighting to the death, repeated many times to average out variations.

In a single sparring match there are quite a lot of variables that make who could kill whom a more subjective judgement.
    NextGuard = Paul from Atlanta

Ten years experience can be ten true years or one year repeated ten times.

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    3/01/2005 4:24pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    His point is that a fighting art should be about fighting. So when one trains, it should be to deal with fighting. Real intensity. Real techniques, not stylized wushu or impractical exercises.

Kung Fool has invested 2 years of his life into training in an art deemed ineffective for the most part. Hapko3 is simply pointing out that continuing this line of training is not the most effective way to prepare for a real life encounter.

He's also trying to give KF the benefit of his extremely painful experience without having to find it out himself, the hard way.

Why, Nextguard, do you have a problem with that?

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/01/2005 4:25pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How old are you? I'm trying to be somewhat nice before I start getting pissed. I'm hoping you are young. You asked what to do. Here

Quote Originally Posted by KuNg FooL
    I guess if this place is as awesome as it seems then the only thing that would hold me back would be that I'm currently studying Fu-Jow Pai Kung Fu and I love it and it feels right to me and I'm really advancing in skill level so I don't know if I'd want to end a good thing like that. Wouldn't it be stupid of me to give that up when I'm doing well? I'd do both, but I couldn't afford that, so should I continue with the FJP until I reach a personal peak or have at least a decent rank, and then move on to Ground Control?
    Notice how you say end and give up training. That means should I STOP.

Basically, my stand up game has improved a ton since I started studying Fu-Jow Pai, but I've only been doing it for almost two years. I definitely haven't reached my peak, so if I stopped to do the BJJ I'd feel like any amount of time I spent staying longer with Fu-Jow Pai I would have been even better. I think maybe I'm just going to get my next rank promotion and see how I feel about my skills. If I think there's still a lot more I can learn, then maybe I'll wait until the next one, and so on until I feel like I'm good enough to stop and start working on my ground fighting. You think it's a good idea?
    Now again you are asking what you should do. I read this to mean should I STOP or should I go to FJP. With Rank attached, no info on 6 months or 6 years between ranks. Just next rank.

Well, going by what I've learned so far with FJP, I'd have no idea cuz obviously it's a stand up style of fighting. Personally I would know more about it though because I have watched lots of UFC and PrideFC fights just to familiarize myself with ground fighting, so I do understand the concepts and the strategies and all that stuff. Escaping the mount...I have no experience doing that, but I'm sure I could pick it up rather quickly based on what I've seen and understood. But I guess your point is that I'm not learning important things like that, and that's exactly why I want to go to this MMA school and learn some BJJ, but I don't want to just abandon my stand up skills and assume they're good enough when I could honestly learn a lot more. Is that what you think I should do?
    Now to me this still asks should I give up FJP.

Aesopian - I agree with everything you're saying. I know the importance of experience and training for the ground, I have already make clear that I definitely want to go to this school, or at least learn BJJ. I'm just saying that the question of when is bothering me because I don't want to just assume that my stand up is good enough and then get really good on the ground. A well rounded fighter is great standing up and on the ground. I wouldn't consider my stand up to be "great" yet so I don't know if I want to stop.
    Look that word again STOP. So, we are reading the posts sounds like you want to quit.

Wow, you people really don't read anything I write. I even complained about repeating myself already. Stop telling me to go try it out, I already want to go there. I don't need to go there to see if I like it, I already decided I will go there when I want to start my BJJ training. I brought up this gym to see what people thought of it, so when I do decide to begin my BJJ training, I'll know that this school is worth it based on the opinions of other martial artists on this message board. I didn't bring up this gym because I think my Kung Fu sucks and I want something better. I like my Kung Fu and the only reason I'm interested in studying at another place EVENTUALLY is because I won't get the ground training from Kung Fu, and I think that's crucial in becoming a well rounded fighter.

Now sit down and read YOUR DAMN POSTS before you say we can't read. The proof is right there for you. You asked if you should quit. Everyone says YES QUIT GO BJJ. Then you say FJP is great, like that will change everyones opinion. The answer is still YES QUIT GO BJJ. Then you explain why you want to stay but have a good ground game. Everyone says YES QUIT GO BJJ. Now where are you repeating yourself. All I see is you not getting the STAY WITH FJP answer you want. So, now we are the bad guys.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 3/01/2005 4:27pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2005 4:25pm

Style: thugjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry to change the subject: Do any of you know a good BJJ school in Quincy Massachusetts or close by? I live in Brockton Ma. however I work out of the Quincy area. Last year I hurt my knee pretty bad in a skiing accident and for a while the doc was talking about arsroscopic surgery, I really didnt want to go this route so I just kept having the knee drained whenever it became really swollen. So far I havent had any problems in 3 months although sometimes it just locks-up gives out on me(hard to explain)...........My doctor who is very well renowned and treats many fighters out of the Brockton area even refs matches has told me he has no problems with practising BJJ provided I visit at least once a month or at first sign of swelling and pain. I have also been running 3-4 miles daily trying to get back in shape. I have had no issues.

I would love for someone to help if possible and save me alot of time doing research.

thanks

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    3/01/2005 4:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What the hell is wrong with your knee? Sounds like it's going to end up in surgery eventually.

I speak from experience on this. My MRI for torn ligaments is in two hours.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/01/2005 4:30pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dig around in here http://www.grapplearts.com/search.php and let me know what you find.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2005 4:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It seems to be Ok although everyonce in a while its like I lose my left leg like its not there, this has not happened in a while and my doctor said he was amazed at the recovery even somewhat baffled by it. I think I need to start testing it and he gave me the green light on BJJ..............I went to a PT for a long time and the guy really knew his stuff.

I want to begin really testing it and if it goes ill do the surgery, I have thought on this long and hard. So the next step is to begin BJJ all I need to do is find a school.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2005 4:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    Dig around in here http://www.grapplearts.com/search.php and let me know what you find.
    so far no luck im going to break-out the yellow pages hopefully someone can cite a specific school, regardless it should be pretty cool writing-up a report on whatever school I decide to go with for Bullshido.

Im not so concerned if its a McDojo(well a little) I just dont want to get Bullshidoed........

damn had about ten inches of snow here last night have to go shovel now! when I come back in ill start crackin on the yellow pages and report back what I find.

so far:
    http://www.massmma.com/interview_mike_littlefield.htm

http://www.massmma.com/rockland.htm

http://www.sssfighting.com/phpwebsite/index.php

http://www.massmma.com/boston_brazilian.htm

The school in Rockland is pretty close to home what do you think? I think ill set-up an iterview with this man and see what his rates are. and get a general impression of the school itself
    Last edited by Jay Zarella; 3/01/2005 5:59pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2005 5:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Zarella
    so far no luck im going to break-out the yellow pages hopefully someone can cite a specific school, regardless it should be pretty cool writing-up a report on whatever school I decide to go with for Bullshido.

Im not so concerned if its a McDojo(well a little) I just dont want to get Bullshidoed........

damn had about ten inches of snow here last night have to go shovel now! when I come back in ill start crackin on the yellow pages and report back what I find.

so far:
    http://www.massmma.com/interview_mike_littlefield.htm

http://www.massmma.com/rockland.htm

http://www.sssfighting.com/phpwebsite/index.php

http://www.massmma.com/boston_brazilian.htm

The school in Rockland is pretty close to home what do you think?
    also the Boneyard looks like a pounding ground for 10 guys I guess thats where Gannon the dude who beat up Kimbo trains I doubt if they accept me.
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 ... LastLast