Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2005 9:21pm

Style: MMA (Shooto)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The 1 year thing sounds pricey to me --;;
    I mean, if I'd take the most expensive paying plan where I train, it would work out at 760$ over 2 terms, paying this much I'd get 28.5 hours a WEEK of shooto, bjj and thai :O

Curiously enough, a 10 lesson deal is identical in pricing to the 1 month deal they have hehe :D

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2005 5:07am

Style: thugjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A Renzo Gracie blackbelt at $100 a month sounds pretty good to me. I would only be interested in that. shame you couldnt do both

Posted On:
    3/01/2005 5:21am

Style: sushi-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KuNg FooL
    I guess if this place is as awesome as it seems then the only thing that would hold me back would be that I'm currently studying Fu-Jow Pai Kung Fu and I love it and it feels right to me and I'm really advancing in skill level so I don't know if I'd want to end a good thing like that. Wouldn't it be stupid of me to give that up when I'm doing well? I'd do both, but I couldn't afford that, so should I continue with the FJP until I reach a personal peak or have at least a decent rank, and then move on to Ground Control?
    you could find a judo place ... and take both ...

by no means as good as training under a BJJ school ... but then, you'll also have better throws and some ground ...

and save a lot of moola ...
    totoro-san ... world sushi munching champion ...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2005 6:02am

Style: thugjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man wished I lived close to that place would be signing up Today for BJJ the instructor looks pretty damn good imho.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2005 9:06am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Basically, my stand up game has improved a ton since I started studying Fu-Jow Pai, but I've only been doing it for almost two years. I definitely haven't reached my peak, so if I stopped to do the BJJ I'd feel like any amount of time I spent staying longer with Fu-Jow Pai I would have been even better. I think maybe I'm just going to get my next rank promotion and see how I feel about my skills. If I think there's still a lot more I can learn, then maybe I'll wait until the next one, and so on until I feel like I'm good enough to stop and start working on my ground fighting. You think it's a good idea?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/01/2005 9:21am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Knowing nothing about Fu-Jow Pai, I looked it up.

http://members.fortunecity.com/fujowpai/
    The concept of the fighting arts of Fu-Jow Pai as the name dictated was modeled after the demeanor and fighting strategy of an attacking tiger. The striking movements are lightning fast, agile and powerful. Techniques unique to Fu-Jow Pai are ripping, tearing, clawing and grasping applications. The training encompasses both physical and spiritual development. It emphasizes strenuous exercises as well as spiritual discipline. The practitioners not only can be benefitted from it in health or self-defense aspects, also can develop a stronger and self-confident personality within.
    :sleepy3:

Please rate the following skills by order of importance to you, so as to help me determine whether or not you should do BJJ:
    1. Mount Escapes
    2. Tiger Forms I to IV
    3. Saber vs Staff
    4. Choke Defenses
    5. 18 Tiger Claws
    6. Armbars
    7. Empty Hand vs Saber Form
    8. Single Leg Takedown
    9. Iron Hands
    10. Knee-on-belly

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    3/01/2005 9:21am

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go and ask for a trial lesson and then see what you think.

Rolling on the ground with sweaty men is worryingly addictive.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2005 9:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    Knowing nothing about Fu-Jow Pai, I looked it up.

http://members.fortunecity.com/fujowpai/
    :sleepy3:

Please rate the following skills by order of importance to you, so as to help me determine whether or not you should do BJJ:
    1. Mount Escapes
    2. Tiger Forms I to IV
    3. Saber vs Staff
    4. Choke Defenses
    5. 18 Tiger Claws
    6. Armbars
    7. Empty Hand vs Saber Form
    8. Single Leg Takedown
    9. Iron Hands
    10. Knee-on-belly
    lol Well I don't know about all this crap, but at my school it's very straightforward. There's none of that pointless stylized crap. We don't learn to tear or rip people's faces or use our mighty tiger claws to rip off chunks of tree bark or sharpen our fingernails or some bullshit like that, cuz back in the day, people studying Fu-Jow Pai actually would. hehe My sifu has studied a few different MA's and he has focussed his training curriculum on whatever is most effective and efficient. It's not very stylized or bizarre in any way. It's just very well thought out fighting techniques.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/01/2005 9:41am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Having just done a BJJ introductory class on a kung fu guy, I must ask: How do you escape the mount?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2005 9:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    Having just done a BJJ introductory class on a kung fu guy, I must ask: How do you escape the mount?
    Well, going by what I've learned so far with FJP, I'd have no idea cuz obviously it's a stand up style of fighting. Personally I would know more about it though because I have watched lots of UFC and PrideFC fights just to familiarize myself with ground fighting, so I do understand the concepts and the strategies and all that stuff. Escaping the mount...I have no experience doing that, but I'm sure I could pick it up rather quickly based on what I've seen and understood. But I guess your point is that I'm not learning important things like that, and that's exactly why I want to go to this MMA school and learn some BJJ, but I don't want to just abandon my stand up skills and assume they're good enough when I could honestly learn a lot more. Is that what you think I should do?
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast