Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112 131415 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Easily Distracted by Food.

Posted On:
    3/02/2005 10:28am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wish someone told me about BJJ and all that when I was in my early twenties. It so much harder to try and learn all this stuff in my thirties. (Mind is willing, body isn't.) I don't feel like i wasted my time doing various other MA's for about 5 years but it definitely stopped me from being all that I can be.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2005 3:01pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RobG
    Ok, I am abit older than the many here - I was around, doing MDK and JJ...and boxing abit also - back in the 60's - in NYC. Hongs old turf.

At that time there was ZERO MMA -- not, at least; as it is known today. NO MThai, NO BJJ, NO FMA (to speak of) -- and very little real contact competitions. The 'legend' of an underground fighting circuit - IS BULLSHIDO! Plain and simple. All that didnt even show up in the drek of m.a. pretenderism until Enter The Dragon/Blood Sport/Dux.Oh, there were a few who were true to a style and went at it fairly hard - most often amongst others who shared their style.Even oriental style against style - STYLE! Back then, ya could get a poin tout of a tourney judge if ya threw a backfist! A good one! Joe Lewis used to bust a face or two until the b.fist was a point getter. Spin kicks? Even if ya knocked a guy into next week - got nothing from judges - till ol C. Norris just hammered a few guys with it. NOBODY shot for the legs - nobody arm barred nor choked an opponent - actually, back then; only the FEW interschoold JJ schools barred or chocked at all. BUT - that bloodsport-ean myth is just that. A frikin myth - I dont care who tells you there was some **** like that goin down back in the 60's/70's/80's -- right up to the 90's when MMA came to be. It was always 'style' as the common venue - even the 'inter-style' things that came along between the 60's/70's cusp were one style against another. If you were a J.K.A. guy - faced with a TKD guy - you could see when 'style' was the main factor....and it turned out like it does today - it is, most often the one doing the fighting that is MUCH more important than style.

FJP. I remember well the NYC school that was over what is now a temple for Budda. I went there myself, as a 19 year old. A door led to a waiting area - there was a small window with a slot where the receptionist would push out a few pages of description of FJP, a standard release form and a fee/class schedule. You couldnt even watch a session before signing up. I met Hong at a Karate vs kung fu tourney thrown by Allan Banks at NYC Civic Center, back a few decades ago - when his hair was dark black and styled like Travoltas in S.N Fever. Now, dont get me wrong. If you like to 'style' as FJP - and move around like a 'tiger decending the mountain' - OK, to each his own. Hong was known to the m.a community in NYC - he would do occassional demos - his students doing the standards - all very nice to see...like a KFu movie come to life. He was also respected by other members of the Chinatown community that enjoyed mimicking birds, beasts, dragons, unicorns and whatnot.
    In that m.a. world he fit right in.

BUT - to even think that he was involved in 'underground' fights in Chinatown - is m.a. fairytale-ism at its purest. There were purist styles of m.a back then, and NOT the progressiveness known today as MMA. You might compete against a mix of different members from different styles - but MMA simply did NOT exist then. END OF STORY! The m.artist of today is a very lucky person - so much more to find a home in.

And please, save me any 'WTF do you know? Your not chinese! You werent there" drivel. Hell I was there - and MANY of my (then) buds were there also..Alan Lee, Hong, Chen - and I could fill up too much bandwidth of alot of names now forgotten - but ALL of them were not MMA'ists...in every damn expression of m.a. in NYC at the time! There really were so much fewer schools than now. It was a closer m.a. community than it is now.Even those that did not teach the gwai low -- their more open minded students came out and met the rest of us. MUCH closer. Buying the bullshido of the urban m.a. myth of NYC underground m.a. fights containing ANYTHING even remotely close to MMA is like buying the Brooklyn Bridge - which I suspect is available -- let me know....I can getcha a good price!

I will even throw in the ringside tickets to the Ultra-secret death match 'kumite' for 2005 in a secret location. You know which one I am referring to - the one that F. Dux won.

And on a sad note - it is sometimes normal for a student to build a myth around a teacher - its often started with a lil stretch of the truth, passed on - and becomes a frickin lie of gargantuan proportions. One that is harder to kill than a NYC cockroach. I do really hope that Hong was not the source of this delusionary myth. Hope he even explains it away to the young 'tigers' - if not? Well...then he turned out to be far less of a teacher than he was back in NYC chinatown FJP kwoon. Back then, I wouldnt have thought him as being anything but a sifu faithfully passing along what he was taught - for whatever it was worth.

You can like and continue FJP - but the myths have to die off - and there is nothing really wrong, to me' if you get some form of comfort out of deep bow and arrow stances while clawing the air. Its rather entertaining to watch; when done well.

BUT - if RBSD is what you are looking for - your climbing down the wrong mountain. Regardless of how many sashes you accumulate - not matter how well you can perform the 2-man sets or wield a trident.

Me? Well, I have done enough MT under a well known name to be happy enough - I dont do it anymore...but I did eough to know its effective. BJJ? That came along at a different time -- I do see some decent value to it, though.

I am not a nuthugger to these methods - but acknowledge they can produce some very effective fighters.

Ya just haveta choose, intelligently; where you want to go.

AND THEN - get going.
    Let me just get one thing out of the way really quickly. You all misread what I said at one point. When I said 60's, I was talking about the number of fights he fought, not the freakin time period. Anyway, I have no idea about those illegal underground fighting tournaments, but he asked what kinda stuff FJP has been involved with and that was the only thing I have ever heard of. I'm not backing it up and saying it really happened, but I read it on a freakin guy's website, who I never met, who I never heard my sifu speak of, but he claimed to be one of Wai Hong's students at the time that my sifu was a student, so I figured they must have been classmates.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/02/2005 3:09pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KuNg FooL
    Anyway, I have no idea about those illegal underground fighting tournaments, but he asked what kinda stuff FJP has been involved with and that was the only thing I have ever heard of. I'm not backing it up and saying it really happened, but I read it on a freakin guy's website, who I never met, who I never heard my sifu speak of, but he claimed to be one of Wai Hong's students at the time that my sifu was a student, so I figured they must have been classmates.
    Actually, "you close-minded ****," one of my sifu's former classmates who studied with him under Grandmaster Wai Hong fought in a shitload of underground fights in Chinatown (this was an american guy) and he went undefeated... Those were illegal underground fighting, with tons of martial artists from all over, who studied all kinds of styles. That's how FJP did against MMA. If I can find the site explaining that guy's info, I'll post it.
    :merror:

Enjoy training at TGC.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2005 3:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    KuNg FooL, assuming you make it through even 6 months of BJJ, you will return to this thread and realize just how delusional you had been.

I'm not saying this to be a smartass. I just want you to come back and realize "Wow, Aesopian sounded like a dick at the time, but now I understand EXACTLY what he was talking about." I don't WANT to be an asshole, but it seems people around here won't listen unless I get rather LOUD about the problems I see. Others are kind enough to come in and do damage control, like jaychiu.

So please, for your sake and your benefit, go to TGC now and seriously give it a shot. I am confident they will give you everthing you have been wishing for, if you truly do want to become a "great well-rounded fighter".
    Ok, I'll just play along with that tough love thing for a minute so I can say that even if that's how you saw it, you could have just been straight with me without being a total asshole. Jaychiu just suggested I go there and spar to see if what I've learned with FJP would actually work against some MT or Kickboxing, and then make a decision from there. That's a good idea and that's all you had to say. I also hope you understand that anything assholish that I said was simply in retaliation.

Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake??
    Come on Don't make him repeat himself for the 6th time. He loves FJP he wants to get to his next advancemnt. Although, Rank doesn't matter. His style wins 90% of tournaments and they have so many trophies they are in a back room. His sifu participated in many underground tournaments in the 60's (unconfimed/hearsay) against all styles. ILLEGAL underground tourneys. So, he has said when he is done learning t3h ill3g4l d34dly he will go to TGC.
    Ok, you, you're still being an asshole. First, I'm not like in love with FJP and I don't wanna leave cuz it's the best or something. I just think it has been working for me so I wanted to wait until I was more confident with my stand up, not knowing that I could also be doing the MT and Vale Tudo at Ground Control without spending any extra cash. Now that I know that, I don't need to stay with FJP to keep working on my striking, so that's settled. Second, you really need to drop this ranking bullshit cuz I never said it was important to me and it's kinda lame to keep trying to use the same "insult" when it never worked in the first place. Third, he asked about it, I told him what I read. I never said I know it to be a fact, or I know the guy who was involved, I just read it. Instead of giving me your opinion or trying to help, you're just looking for ways to start ****. Find something better to do with your time.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/02/2005 3:16pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aesopian, jaychiu. Good cop, bad cop. We are both serving our purpose.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2005 3:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    haha Yeah, that was your plan all along. Hey, what happened to the rear mount admiral? That was a funnier avatar.

Marasmos

Posted On:
    3/02/2005 3:37pm

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But are you basing that assumption solely on the fact that I study a style of Kung Fu? That's kinda what it seems like, with you being a BJJ practitioner yourself, and thinking that a kickboxer would tear me apart. That doesn't seem like a very good argument when you don't know anything about what I've studied and how I fight.
    From the way you;ve been referring to your training, I made the obvious conclusion that you could not fight your way out of a wet paper bag.

The assumption is only obvious to those who really train, by the way, thus, not you.

My striking is sloppy and rusty as of right now, but I'm willing to bet I'd kill you in a standup only match.
    You say what about my rice?

Marasmos

Posted On:
    3/02/2005 3:40pm

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, "you close-minded ****," one of my sifu's former classmates who studied with him under Grandmaster Wai Hong fought in a shitload of underground fights in Chinatown (this was an american guy) and he went undefeated. I don't remember the exact number of fights he had, but if my memory serves me correctly, it was in the 60's, maybe more. Those were illegal underground fighting, with tons of martial artists from all over, who studied all kinds of styles. That's how FJP did against MMA. If I can find the site explaining that guy's info, I'll post it.
    Wow.
    Just wow.
    I know that it's a reality of life, but I'm still amazed every time I see someone actually eat up that load of crap.
    You say what about my rice?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2005 3:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HAPKO3
    Wow.
    Just wow.
    I know that it's a reality of life, but I'm still amazed every time I see someone actually eat up that load of crap.

This subject was already taken care of. That's the only information I've ever heard of FJP in full contact, anything goes type of stuff. It's what I read. I forget if it was a magazine, or on a website, but it's what I read. Some white guy who trained under Wai Hong in Chinatown. That's all I know. If it's completely made up, fine, I don't really care, but he wanted info, I gave him the only thing I heard. Honestly, that stuff could have just been actual tournaments and he might have been successful in them and the story just turned into an illegal underground type of thing. Who knows? Like a few people said already, those things always get blown out of proportion.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/02/2005 3:58pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd rather be an asshole than a liar.