221337 Bullies, 4041 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 21 to 30 of 49
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. TKD Black Belt is offline
    TKD Black Belt's Avatar

    Keeeeee-Yeah!

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    In a van down by the river.
    Posts
    2,230

    Posted On:
    10/08/2006 12:44am


     Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm, seems as though the person who farted in the car has spoken.....

    TKD
  2. andrewa is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    549

    Posted On:
    10/08/2006 1:35am


     Style: Grappling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TuchNRoll
    Most of those who quit because of the lack of sparring at a low belt level are not really interested in learning martial arts.
    Well no TuchNRoll this isn't quite true. One of the reasons I quit the jiu-jitsu at Therien's (at yellow belt) is because there was no sparring. One of the reasons I stayed in the kickboxing program was because there was sparring.

    I learned a long time ago TucnNRoll that porn movies can be entertaining, fun, stimulating, even educational but are no substitute for perfoming the act(s) with a real partner.

    Now after my cynical comment please answer the following: How often did you practice your training with a fully resisting opponent? I don't mean going thru the motions while your 'opponent' moves around the mat. I mean trying to hip-throw your opponent who is not just actively trying to stop you, but is intent on doing the same thing to you?
  3. georgejjr is offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2

    Posted On:
    10/08/2006 2:13am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Takahashi dojo in Ottawa used to be very good for judo. Phil Takahashi won a bronze in the 1981 World Judo Championships (think he got 5th in the olympics plus loads of Canadian championships), and was a very good and practical teacher. Haven't been there for years, so I'm not sure if he's still teaching.
  4. Askari is offline

    The Bottom Brick

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,069

    Posted On:
    10/08/2006 8:53am


     Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Holy Old Threads Batman.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"
  5. TuchNRoll is offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2

    Posted On:
    10/08/2006 10:11am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: jiu-jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    final on TJJ

    Quote Originally Posted by andrewa
    Well no TuchNRoll this isn't quite true. One of the reasons I quit the jiu-jitsu at Therien's (at yellow belt) is because there was no sparring. One of the reasons I stayed in the kickboxing program was because there was sparring.

    I learned a long time ago TucnNRoll that porn movies can be entertaining, fun, stimulating, even educational but are no substitute for perfoming the act(s) with a real partner.

    Now after my cynical comment please answer the following: How often did you practice your training with a fully resisting opponent? I don't mean going thru the motions while your 'opponent' moves around the mat. I mean trying to hip-throw your opponent who is not just actively trying to stop you, but is intent on doing the same thing to you?
    I do agree. I don't watch porn either, for the same reason. For better or worse, sparring starts at around the green belt level. The reason being safety - in a school that does try to appeal to a more general population, you do have to be careful of throwing newbies into sparring.

    At green belt and above I did striking, take downs (aka "sport jiu jitsu") and grappling sparring. Personally, I would of like to have seen more. I fully get your point: I took judo years ago, and at least half of every class was randori - standing and grappling.

    I should point out that my association with TJJ is only as a student. I do not work for any Therien school. I just believe that TJJ is a good system, and there are many excellent and tough senseis throughout the school, including world class competitors.

    I also know what in martial arts appeals to me: I have met too many excellent martial artists who can no longer train, never mind compete, because of blown knees, bad backs, too many concussions or some other injury. Not for me.

    After just reading the disclaimer at beginning of this forum, I realize that this is an old debate: full contact training versus technique and skill. I'm not interested in opening this debate (as someone wrote, an old thread). Everyone has their own preferences - some like studying technique, some like street fighting and some like in somewhere in between.

    I've seen enough McDojo's myself (including one run by an orange belt). TJJ has a particular philosophy about how to teach MA, the is inclusive of those who want to compete, but focusses on safety. Like any system it has its pros and cons, but it is a good school - and I have trained at other schools.

    Take care.
    Last edited by TuchNRoll; 10/08/2006 10:16am at .
  6. tlbf2004 is offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    6

    Posted On:
    2/10/2007 9:15am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kunfu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    removed comment
    Last edited by tlbf2004; 3/16/2007 10:44am at .
  7. Askari is offline

    The Bottom Brick

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,069

    Posted On:
    2/10/2007 9:28am


     Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tlbf2004
    I realize this is an old post but wanted to respond any way.
    And why, pray tell, did you think you had something intelligent to contribute?

    I have been wanting to play this card for awhile:

    Now go back to newbietown and learn how to post.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"
  8. tlbf2004 is offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    6

    Posted On:
    2/10/2007 3:02pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kunfu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    removed post
    Last edited by tlbf2004; 3/16/2007 10:45am at .
  9. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,763

    Posted On:
    2/10/2007 3:11pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tlbf2004
    I realize this is an old post but wanted to respond any way.
    Why is it sad?? Jean-Yves created the kickboxing program at the Therien club and he is an instructor...one of the best. Kyoshi John Therien and Jean-Yves go way back.

    Not quite sure what you were getting at so Thought i would ask.
    Well, you added nothing but conjecture. Jean-Yves is the best is your opinion.

    That isn't adding to the thread in anyway possible.


    As to getting a life, well you posted knowing it was a dead thread. So, where does that leave you?
  10. Askari is offline

    The Bottom Brick

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,069

    Posted On:
    2/10/2007 4:52pm


     Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tlbf2004
    Stop playing with your juvenile cards and get a life!
    Either contribute to the gene pool or get out. Either way doesnt matter to the rest of us.

    Jean-Yves is a great guy, and was a great competitor, your inane ramblings on the other hand do nothing to credit him. He doesnt require you to defend him, his record and accomplishments do that for itself.
    Jean-Yves fight record
    76 fights :: 69 Wins :: 6 losses :: 1 draw :: [61 Knockouts]

    Fought from June 1976 to Dec 1995
    Now go find a worthwhile thread to necromance. Maybe there is one on grappling for the street or who would win UFC 1 if it were held today. Those topics havent been brought up enough.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.