232668 Bullies, 3945 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    4/14/2005 9:34am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaiboxerken
    Yes, and they've done SCARS as well. Your point?
    Basically here's my summary on Cucci. Through AutheniSEAL.org, he is an actual SEAL. Through a few other sources (BUPERS being one of them) he does have a small amount of real-time experience, and while he has attended and gone through a handful of CFCs as a student, he never taught on an official basis. He may have been one of the minor contributors to the program, but in such a small amount that he never received an official basis. Only three to date have really gotten any recognition: Richard Burton, Colonel Peterson, and Lew Hicks.

http://www.navyseals.com/community/n...s/training.cfm

Can you tell me, if it's not classified info, a little bit about Navy SEAL hand to hand combat? There are many advertisements in Black Belt magazine that claim to be the instructors of the SEALs or the style that the SEALs use, like Col. Jerry Peterson's SCARS, Lew Hick's SAFTA, Richard Burton Jeet Kune Do. Also do they have any opinion about the Ultimate Fighting Championship, Brazilian Jiujitsu, and grappling in general? One contestant in the UFC, John Bess, or Hess, who said he was the co-founder of SAFTA, lost his fight which consisted mostly of punching.

All the claimes in Black Belt Magazine or SOF are semi-true. Jerry Peterson, Lew Hicks and Richard Burton all had some involvment with SEAL hand to hand combat programs. East Coast teams used Jeet Kun Do for some number of years in the 80's and 90's. Peterson modified San Soo Kung Fu into his "Special Combat Aggressive Reactionary System ("SCARS") and sold it the NSW as a complete combat fighting system. It was a pretty decent program - I participated in the 2nd 30 day intensive instructor course and I can validate that it is a very effective offensive fighting system. Jerry's problem was his ego and inflexibility. Also there were people in NSW who thought it should be an internal program and not external. So hand to hand training at the Schoolhouse level (as opposed to informal) was brought into the Naval Special Warfare Center Advanced Training and is now called the Combat Fighting Course and is taught as part of Close Quarter Battle training.

Now SAFTA was a creation of Lew Hicks. Lew was Jerry's top SEAL student. My impression of SAFTA is that it is SCARS with new terminology and marketing - along with a few SEAL specific tricks thrown in. Whereas Jerry Peterson claimed to have combat experience, he had no special operations experience. Lew never sold SAFTA to Naval Special Warfare, but did train a number of SEALs on the side "unofficially". UFC contestant Hess was a student of Lew Hicks whom he partnered with for the purposes of gaining greater exposure for the SAFTA fighting system.
    There is also martial arts instructed to SEAL teams on an irregular basis, but they only include at this moment Krav Maga, Ninjutsu, and in some cases Jujitsu. They used to have an arrangement for SCARS, but that fell through due to Peterson's marketing aspirations. BJJ and SAFTA may soon become available, but those are the only ones recognized.

More to follow.....

Posted On:
    4/14/2005 9:43am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, so what is the fucking point to all this ??

Genius

Posted On:
    4/14/2005 10:42am

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He thinks ninjitsu is cool, that's the point.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

Posted On:
    4/14/2005 10:55am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Frank Cucci WAS a SEAL and IS a BJJ Black Belt.

That is all anyone needs to know.

Genius

Posted On:
    4/14/2005 10:57am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He's also a full instructor of Muay Thai, JKD, FMA and Silat. That's good to know as well.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

Posted On:
    4/14/2005 10:58am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He's also a full instructor of Muay Thai, JKD, FMA and Silat. That's good to know as well.
    The man gets around.
    Got admire that kind of dedication.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    4/14/2005 4:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    His MA background isn't under question, it's his claims of being a "Chief Instructor" that came under.

Genius

Posted On:
    4/14/2005 8:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But you haven't disproven that he was "chief instructor" at one point or another. The reality is, and the consensus that many here have come up with is that he taught a group of SEALS unofficially. The one that teaches is the "chief instructor".

You know what, I am the chief instructor of 3 people in my garage. Are you going to try and disprove this as well?

Posted On:
    4/15/2005 7:00am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You realise that in the Navy, a "chief" is like a sargent, a "chief instructor" would be like a drill sargent.

I don't think it means "head instructor" of "main instructor" or " I am that I am ".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2005 8:58am

Style: The Jits & Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ronin69,

When taken in context, the term "Chief Instructor" refers to head instructor...not "drill sargeant," "sargeant in charge of training," or anything to that effect.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast