Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/03/2005 2:56am

Style: Kyokushinkai, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Lynxx Academy of M.A., Virginia Beach, VA

Maybe Mr. Cucci DOES in fact have that knowledge (BJJ, Silat, JKD, etc..), but my points were twofold. One, if he taught his Team while on active service as a SEAL, he did so on an unofficial basis, rather than teaching in accord with an established or cumpulsory-study curriculum. Two, whatever he knows in terms of real deal h2h, he doesn't convey this to the general public; didn't during MY visits, at least, and I was there 4 or 5 times. What I observed was a butt-load of calisthenics and instructors exhorting students to whack focus pads with technical ability that belied their belt levels...along with just enough confidence to get themselves hurt when the balloon goes up. Maybe Frank is the stuff. His staff isn't. Bottom line, no better or worse than any strip mall TKD studio I've seen. :911flag:

Genius

Posted On:
    3/04/2005 12:16am

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    instructors exhorting students to whack focus pads with technical ability that belied their belt levels

You probably don't know what you're talking about. Hitting focus mitts and conditioning is part of martial arts. Maybe you just didn't like the fact that there were no katas being taught.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/04/2005 2:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Whoa, I'm on YOUR side, man...

As I said, neither better nor worse than your basic strip-mall studio, and if fitness and trophy-hunting are what you seek out of martial arts practice then hey, who am I to judge? I just checked out Mr. Cucci's establishment because I read about his having trained in JKD, muay Thai, Kali, and such under Dan Inosanto, as well as his having been a SEAL. For what it's worth, students looked they were having a good time drilling techniques on those focus mitts, but I had a sinking feeling they weren't schooled sufficiently on real-time application of same. Maybe they're not even studying for that end, in which case, cool, they're getting what they want & pay for. Again, I'm not judging anyone. As for kata, no, I didn't observe any, but didn't expect to see any, given the JKD, MT, etc, curriculum (for the same reason, neither did I expect karate keiko gi, either, but everyone wore those). Don't know what I'm talking about? I'm the FIRST to say there's a UNIVERSE I have yet to learn. I was simply responding to my predecesors in this thread who were talking about Mr. Cucci's skills/credentials. My visits to his studio, and my evaluation herein, are simply in light of my own training objectives and priorities...I'm first and foremost a Kyokushinkai man (nidan in Judo as well) and I know all-too-well the taste of bare knuckles...eaten a few...that's what we're KNOWN for, and what made Kyokushin ("Ultimate truth" in Japanese, by the way) famous. And yes, I've made my bones in real-contact competition, thank you very much. Practicality is not everything, I know that, but in light of what I train for, that's a "sine qua non", if you will. You train muay Thai, don't you? Brother, you've got a WORLD of respect from me! :911flag:

Genius

Posted On:
    3/04/2005 11:45am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    His place is part McDojo. The average person still benefits from conditioning and learning how to punch, kick, elbow, knee and clinch. He usually has a fighter's group for the more hardcore training where there is hard contact sparring and such. The BJJ class is also better than any in the area. At his place, you basically get what you want. If you want to be a fighter, the means are there. If you want to just get fit and have fun, the path is there as well. I think he has a good balance of McDojo in his place, enough to get the average non-hardcore person the basic skills needed to effectively defend themselves. It's hard to imagine any place in that area that even comes close to the quality of instruction that Linxx has.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/04/2005 4:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Press on, dude

What can I say, except, I just observed what went on. Granted, if I asked the right questions and maybe dug alot deeper, you could very well be right. For the record, I never debated that conditoning was an important - no, VITAL - consideration; someone with competitive aspirations would need something a bit more ambitious than the equivalent of 5th grade phys ed...so would the brown and blue belts in that class, in my opinion. But again, if they're getting what they want out of it, whatever that might be, PRESS ON, I say. :911flag:

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    4/13/2005 1:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By the way, for TBK:

http://www.navyseals.com/community/n...g_buds.cfm#faq

What type of H2H fighting (martial arts) system do they use in the Teams and should I take martial arts classes prior to going to BUD/S?

The Naval Special Warfare community does NOT recognize only one specific form of martial arts or system of fighting. All of the advertisements that say "The OFFICIAL Navy SEAL Hand 2 Hand Combat System..." or anything similar is just a sales technique - nothing else. These "systems" or "programs" may have been used in platoon work-ups or in the Combat Fighting Course (CFC), but not one specific style is exclusive in the Teams. Some arts that are effective for application within the SEAL Teams include Ninjutsu and Israeli Krav Maga. Martial arts training is NOT able to prepare you for BUD/S (or the SEAL Teams in general), but it is beneficial in conditioning your mind, body and spirit.
    Even SEALs do Ninjutsu :guitar:

Genius

Posted On:
    4/13/2005 2:48pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, and they've done SCARS as well. Your point?

Posted On:
    4/13/2005 3:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am inclined to beleive his claims simply because of where he teaches - Virginia Beach is the east coast center for SEALS.

The guy I used to study jujutsu from was a former SEAL, and my distinct impression is that they are very *sensitive* about SEAL-related BS.

Being in the same town, i'm pretty sure the SEALs would have ripped Cucci's balls off by now if he wasn't legit.
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Posted On:
    4/13/2005 3:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    I've noticed that one company (TSK) uses nearly the SAME ad copy for everything they distribute.

"These TOTALLY UNKNOWN techniques will allow you to bitchslap any thug, kickboxer, or MMA guy! And you don't even need to be in shape! Master Joesph Bloe is the veteran of hundreds of deadly pit fights.... etc etc"
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2005 9:00am

Style: The Jits & Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast