Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2003 11:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been to Thailand a couple of times and watched a few MT fights over there, and the thing that made the most impression to me was how keen the fighters are to get into the clinch so they can use the knees to the face.

Another aspect of TMA's is that they are more suitable than some of the MMA's for older practitioners. You can spend a lifetime in some traditional styles, but I wouldn't fancy trying to keep up in a MT club when I'm in my forties.

Posted On:
    3/19/2003 12:32pm

Style: lame

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sanchin, that's an excellent point! In general, you won't see too many sport (UFC) fighters that are 40, 50, or 60. Let's face it, UFC is a young man's sport (nothing more). At least you can do TMA your whole life. Specifically, the internal arts.

Edited by - balloonknot on March 19 2003 11:33:35

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2003 1:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Amen, ballonknot. what happens when you're too old to train like a mofo? quit MA? not me. don't neglect your brain.

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    3/19/2003 5:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "You obviously haven't seen many Muay Thai if you truly believe this. I have watched many Muay Thai fights in Holland, Poland and North America and about 70% of the fights ended by KO."

I don't claim to be an expert in Muay Thai, but I do have a fair amount of experience with it. When I said what I said about the clinch, knees, and elbows it is because of what I was taught a seminar by a man who was supposed to be a top Muay Thai trainer in Thailand. Everyone in the class was all exicted to mix it up with knees and elbows, honestly we didn't get much on a chance to use them, because to the defense measures we were taught take against them. Maybe this guy was a fake, his school just doesn't emphasize knees and elbows as much as others, or he was dumbing it down for us.

As for the knockouts I was talking about fights in Thailand. I have several video tapes and two friends in Thailand that frequent fights. When I asked them about if they'd seen any spectacular knockouts, they say most fights go the distance and often one can't tell who is ahead until they annouce the winner, but as you said I haven't seen them so I could be wrong. Say whatever you want, but the training in Thailand is nothing like anywhere elese in the world. These guys start at such a young age and train their bodies to take so much abuse it's acutally a little disgusting.

I recently saw a documentary on the Discovery channel where the owner of a Muay Thai gym in the US had the life long dream to go to Thailand and train for a professional fight there. He was about thirty, and his opponent was a local boy of 15 who had over 50 professional fights. The boy basically embarassed him, in the gym and in the ring. The American took some really hard shots, including one elbow, but somehow was able to last to the end of the five round fight. The 15 year old looked like he could go another five rounds.

Posted On:
    3/19/2003 7:24pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "These guys start at such a young age and train their bodies to take so much abuse it's acutally a little disgusting. "
    it is disgusting, but what choice in life do they have? none......sometimes they HAVE to do it

"I recently saw a documentary on the Discovery channel where the owner of a Muay Thai gym in the US had the life long dream to go to Thailand and train for a professional fight there. He was about thirty, and his opponent was a local boy of 15 who had over 50 professional fights. The boy basically embarassed him, in the gym and in the ring. The American took some really hard shots, including one elbow, but somehow was able to last to the end of the five round fight. The 15 year old looked like he could go another five rounds."
    i saw something like this as well, same thing?
    i don't think he was "embarrassed" as he actually went the distance, what was it? 5 rounds of 3 min or something?

the MT kid said he would get the KO in the 2nd round.....

--
    Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
    The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed later.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Posted On:
    3/19/2003 8:10pm

Style: non

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Little bastards, they get to start at a young age! Me? Jealous? Nah.

"A California man has been taken to court for stalking Anna Nicole Smith. The man has been charged with invasion of privacy, illegal trespassing, and having really bad taste."-Conan
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345