Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/23/2003 10:46pm

Style: non

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is there a reason to go to a TMA school over a school that teachs Mix styles?

"A California man has been taken to court for stalking Anna Nicole Smith. The man has been charged with invasion of privacy, illegal trespassing, and having really bad taste."-Conan

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    2/23/2003 11:17pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some may argue you get better with that one TMA. I think that everyone can walk and chew gum just as good as me, and that many non TMA teachers (competition geared) will help you out a bit more than following tradition. When you're training to compete (even if you choose not to) you're doing a lot of conditioning, bag work, drills, and sparring and getting instruction with combos, openinings, and ring experience. My own TMA experience has a lot to do with technique and kata... but thats just me.

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Posted On:
    2/24/2003 1:39am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Almost every TMA is a mixed style.

Wandering Daoist

Posted On:
    2/24/2003 3:37am

supporting member
     Style: Karate, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No matter what you take, you have to make it work for you. If you think a TMA like Baji or karate or Wing Chun will suit you better than the old MT/BJJ combo (or whatever modern mix you might take), it might be a little harder to make it work for you, but it'll likely be worth it.

-------------------------
    Clap your hands everybody,
    if you got what it takes
    'Cause I'm Kurtis Blow
    and I want you to know
    that these are the breaks!
    "The morning glory blooms for an hour. It differs not at heart from the giant pine, which lives for a thousand years."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2003 3:50pm

Style: Goju Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do what feels right. If you don't feel like training for the octagon but want some great training, then do that. Stop worrying about why others are doing what they're doing. If anything, that's just evidence that you're currently on the wrong path - the only way you know that the grass is greener is if you've looked.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/24/2003 4:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yes............and no.

>>>Always walk on a bright, wide road. If you choose to live with your right posture, you don't have to go on a dark road or a malodorous place. Oyama
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    2/24/2003 7:05pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sure.

Just because a TMA may not cover every single aspect of the fight game, doesn't mean its worthless.

Learn it, master it, then fill in whatever holes you see.

If you have instructors that respect their students they may even be interested in your suggestions to improve.

--------
    What would happen if a one hand clapper attempted to stop a tree falling in the woods when no one else was around?
    --------
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Posted On:
    2/24/2003 7:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would just d/l some clips of the styles, and then (most importantly) go to a few of each style of class that you're interested in.

Like go to a WC/WT or BAJI etc class or two, then to a MT/BJJ etc:

I personally would recommend Submission fighting/shootfighting/MMA etc classes (they do everything, but you learn less specifically - you should learn all the basics though, which is important...)
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    2/24/2003 10:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The old cliche "every art has something to give" is a lot more true than people are willing to accept. For example, I'm not a big fan of karate's offensive mindset (or lack thereof), but I love all the traps, grabs, deflections, and locks it uses. Besides, if you want striking in a MMA enviroment, you're pretty much limited to Boxing or Muay Thai. Not a whole lot of variety going on there.

Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/25/2003 3:04am

supporting member
     Style: kyoku-shin, boun-shin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes. Nobody will show up to TMA classes in cycling shorts.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast