Is anyone saying that is a bad idea?

Ready are you? What know you of ready?

Posted On:
    2/25/2005 3:56pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT(& Prenatal Yoga)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    99% of you wouldn't last one round against Emin in a submission match. . .

20 years ago, Emin Boztepe met a man the same age as Randy Couture in order to take him up on a challenge that he issued. If you really have a problem with that, then I don't think you're being true to the 'mission of bullshido'. (as confusing as it may have become)

If you don't like him, fine, but most of you are basing your opinions on hearsay on top of hearsay.

Rumors of Boztepe's abandoning 'WT' (whatever the **** that means anyway) are greatly exagerated.

If a `religion' is defined to be a system of ideas that contains unprovable statements, then Godel taught us that mathematics is not only a religion, it is the only religion that can prove itself to be one. -- John Barrow

Talk to TBK's boyfriend:

Posted On:
    2/25/2005 3:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wingchunnewbie
    Yep. Boztepe is a hypocrit who beats up old men just because they called him a name. Doesn't mean it's a bad idea for Wing Chunners in general to cross-train and practice hard MMA sparring.
    Now wait a damn minute! I am not a huge EB or WT fan, but Cheung was making very public challenges, the gist of which was "I have the only real WC, and I'll take on anyone in Europe who thinks otherwise (you hear me, Leung Ting, ya *****?)"

So Lueng Ting trains one of his best specifically to fight Cheung, and Cheung gets soundly bitchslapped. I'm not saying it was right, only that he SERIOUSLY ASKED FOR IT.
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2005 4:12pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendetta
    Now wait a damn minute! I am not a huge EB or WT fan, but Cheung was making very public challenges, the gist of which was "I have the only real WC, and I'll take on anyone in Europe who thinks otherwise (you hear me, Leung Ting, ya *****?)"

So Lueng Ting trains one of his best specifically to fight Cheung, and Cheung gets soundly bitchslapped. I'm not saying it was right, only that he SERIOUSLY ASKED FOR IT.
    I got the impression from the video that Cheung was an old man when Boztepe jumped him. If he was only Randy Couture's age, and the gist of what he said was 'everybody elses Wing Chun sucks, come fight me and I'll prove it', then yes, he did ask for it.

I'd love to see a WC tournament circuit develop (San Shou in MMA gloves for people wanting full contact, something simillar to pushing hands rules for people wanting a gentler test of Wing Chun technical skill via Chi Sao, and maybe forms), so stuff like this could be settled in a legal, gentlemanly, sporting fashion.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2005 4:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    Is anyone saying that is a bad idea?
    I got the impression that some people thought Wing Chun practitioners weren't allowed to cross-train and fight MMA style and still call what they did Wing Chun.

If that's not the case, then I stand corrected.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/25/2005 4:20pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe someone was saying that, but I think the main message here was really "While it's a good change, Emin is a douche bag if you consider all the stupid things he said and did before this."

Imagine if I suddenly said "I am leaving BJJ to pursue my training in wing chun." Does that give you an idea of what we are talking about?

Posted On:
    2/25/2005 4:25pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Phrost needs to stop stealing my material. I made that Bigfoot crack during ?ing ?un Unappreciation Week.
    Great minds.

Anyway, re-read what I wrote LI, I'm not questioning his skills, just his ethics and integrity.

Posted On:
    2/25/2005 4:30pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the difference Phrost is trying to point out is that things like BJJ and MFS don't "add" techniques because there suddenly isn't a market for people to buy them, which is what Emin seems to be doing. The Gracie don't send out memos going "We are going to steal wrestling's reversal and call it mata viado". The art as a whole naturally incorporates any techniques that have success in competition. BJJ does have a ton of other arts mixed in it now, but it is due to natural evolution through high competition, not just realizing your market is shrinking.
    Nail -> Head.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2005 4:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe someone was saying that, but I think the main message here was really "While it's a good change, Emin is a douche bag if you consider all the stupid things he said and did before this."
    Agreed.

Imagine if I suddenly said "I am leaving BJJ to pursue my training in wing chun."
    It's bound to happen sooner or later :toothy5:

Does that give you an idea of what we are talking about?
    We're talking about different things here. I was only responding to phrosts comment about Wing Chun + something else meaning that one no longer did Wing Chun.

Posted On:
    2/25/2005 5:03pm

Style: -

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wingchunnewbie
    There are several other Bullshido members who list WC as _one of_ the styles they practice. Boztepe himself also teaches Escrima.
    Dude, remember, I am a WT guy myself.

Tomas
    Current stage of death: denial
Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 289101112 1314151622 ... LastLast