Posted On:
    2/24/2003 3:50pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hmmmm, alright, i guess it is disturbing the peace lol

--

Let me introduce you to my friends: Hand, Elbow and Knee.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    2/24/2003 7:01pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its illegal to fight in the street here.

Its not illegal to fight in a martial arts/boxing/wrestling center as long as you have appropriate precautions ie. someone trained in first aid & first aid equipment.

Either way, I think its very hard to prosecute here if both have agreed to it. The cops have better things to do than arrest/charge people when neither party has any interest in cooperating with them.

--------
    What would happen if a one hand clapper attempted to stop a tree falling in the woods when no one else was around?
    --------
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

shadow weight

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 4:16pm

supporting member
     Style: yes

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fascinating
    Now or never.

AKAKTK

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 4:39pm

Style: Liu Seong Gung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    'Fighting over the Internet is like Running in the Special Olympics
    Even if you win Your still a Retart'

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 8:40pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The statutes regarding assault in Connecticut are so overbroad that "impairment of physical condition or pain" is consided physical injury (C.G.S. Section 53a-3(3) and Assault in the Third Degree can be charged if "with intent to cause physical injury to another person, [the defendant] causes such injury to another person." (C.G.S. Section 53a-61). Hypothetically every time someone slapped an arm bar on someone in training there could be problems. That being said, there is a lot of prosecutorial discretion out there and dockets are overcrowded. Realistically if two people held a noncommercial challenge match in private, where it did not disturb the peace, with clear consent, and no serious injuries, the state would probably give a rats ass.

There is however a statute on the books (C.G.S. 53-200) which states that "a contest in which blows are struck which are intended or calculated to stun, disable or knock out either of the contestants" is a prizefight regardless of if money is involved and is illegal unless such match is a boxing exhibition or wrestling bout and regulated as such (see 21a-196) There are ways to get around this rule if the match is supervised by "any school, college or university having an academic course of study or of the recognized athletic association connected with such school, college or university". So if people wanted to strickly adhere to the law, it would be possible to register such a match, obtain a bond, ect which would keep both parties protected from the law.

I have never heard of anyone being lured or trapped into being arrested for such a challenge by lawyers or the police. If the originator of this thread can point us to a newspaper clipping documenting such an occurance in a non-commercial fight I would be appreciative.
    Last edited by Sam Browning; 2/25/2004 9:18pm at .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123