Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2005 6:10pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperHappyLucky7
    There is another Hapkido place in Toronto called East West Hapkido. The website is http://www.eastwesthapkido.com . It has a number of videos you can view as well.

The guy who teaches there spent a number of years training with Grand Master Hwang In-Shik.
    Interesting. I liked some of the stuff in those videos, but vid 3. looks suspicious. Why is that dumpy little housewife apparently able to beat up the tall young guy ? She enters with feeble flailing little body punches and he doesn't appear to respond, just backs up clumsily waiting for her to knee him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2005 9:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think he is worth the shot to try, but don't put all your hopes that this guy is your answer to all your problems. Some schools I know that are good have very bad advertisment that put people off, visa versa. As long, he doesn't put you in some long term bullshit where you have to pay more to learn more. The unfortunate thing is that most schools I know that are commercial are really bad and those that are not, are by far the best, but then they don't last for long as there isn't enough money to sustain it.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/23/2005 11:40am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm actually just trying to find a good school for my little sister that is in our area. She's 15 so I think it's a good age for her to start, and I'd like for it to be in a good, no BS school.

Posted On:
    2/23/2005 12:36pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry-Monkey
    I'm actually just trying to find a good school for my little sister that is in our area. She's 15 so I think it's a good age for her to start, and I'd like for it to be in a good, no BS school.
    I gave you the info for my school, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! They've even opened a special 13-17 BJJ class this year.

I know we talked about this, but I'm still going to nag you about it :happy8:

There's also a girls-only BJJ program running Tuesdays and Saturdays out of a Yoga studio at 20-something Eglinton East. It's run by a purple belt from Rebellion / White Tiger.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/23/2005 3:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    She's extremely picky and demanding. She wants to go to a place that is within walking distance from our house.

Posted On:
    2/23/2005 3:42pm

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tried out a school run by one of Hwang's black belts that was down at Simcoe and Adelaide a few years back. A few things:

1) The red who came to visit was toned and pretty tough.

2) The BB I worked with was annoying. He spoke in a fake Asian accent (he was not Asian) and complained about students who sweat too much.

3) Sparring? Sure, eventually. There was lots of swinging the arms and legs to relax and generate power and lots of hitting pads -- then lots and lots of drilling controls, and whining if the subject was not relaxed and a wholly ideal target.

4) Lots of second and third hand instruction from low belts.

So my overall impression is that to get anywhere with this school you had to wade through a lot of crap. Once you did, you might actually learn something.

Posted On:
    2/23/2005 3:48pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am most disappointed you did not invite any other Bullshido members to come and witness this.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/23/2005 4:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Witness what? I went to watch a class with my little sister because she wants to start martial arts.

Thanks for the information eyebeams. From what I could see, GM Hwang runs his classes personally. I did see an awful lot of trilling and pad hitting though, as well as arm swinging. I'm hoping that I'll see a bit more after going to a few classes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2005 4:58pm

Style: panatukan, bjj newb.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hear GM Hwang has an very effective punching system.

They dont spar with any head contact, However, it's full contact, no gear.

Posted On:
    2/23/2005 10:54pm

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ironMung.
    I hear GM Hwang has an very effective punching system.

They dont spar with any head contact, However, it's full contact, no gear.
    Definitely. The power behind the striking is pretty cool, though I wonder if all the relaxation exercises could be replaced with simple coaching. Aside from talking about Hwang's powers, everything was practical enough. I just didn't care for how it was taught.

Incidentally, the town I live in (Peterborough, ON), hosts an excellent Hapkido school (Moo Gong Kwan) as well. They're not cheap, though, and have very traditional etiquette. They have a sparring regimen they institute relatively early on.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast