Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 8:52pm

Style: Flower Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen
    HIs physique. The man's in good shape doing what he does.
    I almost bought that until I saw the pics from his early days when he was flabby. My money is on developing beach muscles from body-building when he opened his sports complex:

http://www.shaolinlegends.com/articl...rriorPart2.pdf

His flabbyness:
    http://www.shaolinlegends.com/articl...inironpalm.pdf

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2005 11:36pm

Style: Face-to-foot style!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    :headbang:
    Quote Originally Posted by WingChun Lawyer
    "sigh" You still insist on referring to the good old days when chinese people could whup up everyone´s asses.

As for fracturing the forearms when blocking a thai kick, that won´t happen so easily. I do MT, and a forearm block is a standard defense against a high roundkick at my gym.

And I don´t know anything about "back alley street thai boxers", I am pretty sure if they were better than the ones competing they would step into the ring to earn themselves some money. That would be the wisest thing for them to do. So I think you just made this up - I call bullshido on that.

And yes, I heard thai boxers in Thailand - the ***** ones who compete - are retired by their late twenties because of the sustained injuries.
    Well, yeah I was referring to the good old days. And in the sense that the asskicking can no longer happen by those means, it is inferior to today's methods. But ONLY in that way :headbang:

About the rest, shhhhh! I didn't make any of it up, capice? :icon_sile
    Last edited by mewarmo990; 3/10/2005 11:47pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/11/2005 8:25am

Style: shaolin-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller
    I almost bought that until I saw the pics from his early days when he was flabby. My money is on developing beach muscles from body-building when he opened his sports complex:

http://www.shaolinlegends.com/articl...rriorPart2.pdf

His flabbyness:
    http://www.shaolinlegends.com/articl...inironpalm.pdf
    I can't ever read that pdf. There were times when he wasnt' in as good a shape as others. When I first started, in 1989, he had gotten back into shape majorly. (The PM shots for CSC were shot after that). That was after the decline of the Sports Center.

He's not cut now like he used to be in his mid 40s, (he's 60 or 61 now) but I saw him wear out a class with "warm-ups" recently so he's still in good shape.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    3/11/2005 8:43am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mewarmo990

About boxing into your forties, it is definitely possible with Western boxing techniques. Traditional Muay Thai training is absolutely brutal. They kick glass with their shins to strengthen them. In fact, if you attempt to block a full-power Muay Thai kick, you will fracture your forearms, I guarantee you that. Anyway, I learned in Thailand that traditional Muay Thai kickboxers (the back alley street kind, not the ***** competition type) can no longer box satisfactorily after the age of about 28.

EDIT: Did I say guarantee? I meant presume. :jj:
    Maybe you have little balsa forearms. Or bad blocking form. I've blocked thai round kicks from 200-300 pound guys before, and I have wonderfully intact forearms.

Thai fighters in thailand often have short careers because they are fought too often - as often as once a week in some cases.

For a guy that trained in Thailand, you have a lot of weird attitudes about their training and techniques (I'm not even going to get into "Hyperextending" your arm being good technique)
    Last edited by JohnnyCache; 3/12/2005 11:56am at .
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2005 1:37am

Style: SD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen
    I can't ever read that pdf. There were times when he wasnt' in as good a shape as others. When I first started, in 1989, he had gotten back into shape majorly. (The PM shots for CSC were shot after that). That was after the decline of the Sports Center.

He's not cut now like he used to be in his mid 40s, (he's 60 or 61 now) but I saw him wear out a class with "warm-ups" recently so he's still in good shape.
    He told the class that he was changing his diet. He had thrown out the white and only ate the yolks and now he was throwing out the yolks and eating the whites. Another change was to stop with all the fish oil that was using for energy. He had a very fatty diet and changed his looks drastically in one year. I was like, damn. He did make some changes along the way but he told us that he dropped the large amount of fruit he consumed and was following more closely what body builders do in consuming several meals a day to keep from retaining fat.
    There was muscle hidding under a lay of fat. With the fat removed, well I doubt if very many 50 years old look better than 20 year olds like he did.

Chemically unstable.

Posted On:
    3/12/2005 8:35am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not going to debate the effectiveness of SD techniques. We could tallk all day about what's viable and what isn't. What we do know is that Sin The' assembled his amalgam of MA techniques during his youth in Indonesia, and that he now teaches them under the pretense that he's the descendant of Shaolin Grandmasters driven from China and forced into hiding abroad. And that's where I've laid my axe to grind.

You see, if Sin The' was teaching SD as "______" or maybe even "______," I wouldn't have a problem. It's a man teaching things that he's learned to other people that want to learn these things. But he's gone and resorted to using questionable and often fanciful tales to market these things under the pretense tha they're something else. When he first opened for business it was called the "Sin The' Karate Club" ... Time changes all.

I wish that we could get Bill Wallace on the line and ask him about the old days. I hear they were close when Wallace was competing.

XO

Posted On:
    3/12/2005 11:50am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In which state and town did Sin The' start his first business?

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/12/2005 2:05pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Browning
    In which state and town did Sin The' start his first business?
    Supposedly at the University of Kentucky. Bill Leonard was his first studednt. They were roomates.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2005 7:38pm

Style: Face-to-foot style!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    Maybe you have little balsa forearms. Or bad blocking form. I've blocked thai round kicks from 200-300 pound guys before, and I have wonderfully intact forearms.

Thai fighters in thailand often have short careers because they are fought too often - as often as once a week in some cases.

For a guy that trained in Thailand, you have a lot of weird attitudes about their training and techniques (I'm not even going to get into "Hyperextending" your arm being good technique)
    Didn't train in Thailand. Visited. Left right before tsunami.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2005 8:18pm

Style: Chinese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The word Karate has its origin in a different character than empty hand but actually was originally China Hand so Shaolin Karate is actually Shaolin China hand
Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101617181920 21222324 ... LastLast