Our Sponsors:

Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7891011 1213141521 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/04/2005 11:24am

Style: wingy chingy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *Braaaak Braaaaak* I'm the slander parrot! Let me join the mob and trash on someone whos been dead for thirty years and can't defend themselves.

Naw, just kidding man. Relax. Why does joking about melted babies offend you? You did it a minute ago.
    "It does not matter who the master is. It does not matter what the face looks like. The masters are of the Qimen school of qigong/meditation which is related to Zen. The master wears white robes, and the predecessor master wears bright gold robes. The qimen school travels the univers and is not restricted to what paradise they live in. It has many masters" -Serious Harm

Modesty forbids more.

Posted On:
    3/04/2005 11:28am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ newbie.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not offended at all grond, just going out on a related joke. I would only be offended at the slanderous offense incurred at the expense of precious young lives if I believed that stupid BS story about melted babies in the first place.
    That civilisation may not sink,
    Its great battle lost,
    Quiet the dog, tether the pony
    To a distant post;
    Our master Caesar is in the tent
    Where the maps are spread,
    His eyes fixed upon nothing,
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Posted On:
    3/04/2005 11:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate the internet. :)
    "It does not matter who the master is. It does not matter what the face looks like. The masters are of the Qimen school of qigong/meditation which is related to Zen. The master wears white robes, and the predecessor master wears bright gold robes. The qimen school travels the univers and is not restricted to what paradise they live in. It has many masters" -Serious Harm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/04/2005 11:33am

Style: shaolin-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WingChun Lawyer
    OK, what about the melted baby? Whatever it is The smokes, does he share it?
    The melted baby story I've heard first hand. Actually he didn't say "melt" when I heard it, but he likes to embellish his stories. Anyway, the story goes that his first teacher, a sand-burn teacher, was practicing when his wife brought their child over. Without thinking about how hot his hands were he picked up the child and the child was burnt by his hands: killing the child. That's why he stopeed training in sand-burn.

GM The's english isn't the best: melt or burn it's probably the same to him.

Modesty forbids more.

Posted On:
    3/04/2005 11:34am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen
    The melted baby story I've heard first hand. Actually he didn't say "melt" when I heard it, but he likes to embellish his stories. Anyway, the story goes that his first teacher, a sand-burn teacher, was practicing when his wife brought their child over. Without thinking about how hot his hands were he picked up the child and the child was burnt by his hands: killing the child. That's why he stopeed training in sand-burn.

GM The's english isn't the best: melt or burn it's probably the same to him.
    And you believe that story?
    Its great battle lost,
    To a distant post;
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/04/2005 11:41am

Style: shaolin-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No. Not necessarily. I don't believe everything my grandfather told me either, but he could tell a hell of a story!

The stroy could be true it could be false: how do I know. I wasn't there. It's all hearsay to me.

Posted On:
    3/04/2005 11:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, what does your experience and intuition tell you? Could someone kill a baby after training hot sand? Would they be dumb enough to do it? Would their student tell that story like it was some cool master-level badass kungfu?

Modesty forbids more.

Posted On:
    3/04/2005 11:51am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Would someone´s hands ever get hot enough to kill a baby without burning off first? What do YOU think, Pen? Wouldn´t you say your GM is full of it at least regarding this story?
    Its great battle lost,
    To a distant post;
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Dad

Posted On:
    3/04/2005 12:01pm

Style: CMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by grond
    Well, what does your experience and intuition tell you? Could someone kill a baby after training hot sand? Would they be dumb enough to do it? Would their student tell that story like it was some cool master-level badass kungfu?
    I have also heard Sin The' tell this story . It wasn't told as some "cool master-level badass kungfu". It was simply an explanation as to why the sand-burn teacher stopped teaching. It's not important to me.
    Last edited by Leodom; 3/04/2005 12:13pm at .
    People of integrity expect to be believed. When they're not, they let time prove them right.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/04/2005 12:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen
    Also, if your school gave you a black in 15 months, your school stinks and your material stinks. It took me 3.5 years and that's the minimum you can go through at my school. And then you are considered just a student; before you are considered a begininer.

3.5 years!!! I smell McDojo! (Unless you've had a lot of prior training, in which case, I no longer smell McDojo). Anything under 5 is suspicious (unless you're a dojo rat), and anything under 4 is absurd (unless you've had prior training). If your school gave you black in 3.5 years, your school stinks and your material stinks.

The above paragraph was brought to you by People for Perspective. People for Perspective is a non-profit organization dedicated to over-exageration and hyberbole.

Seriously enough though, while I agree that 15 months is absurd beyond all belief, I do think that 3.5 years is not enough time as well. It is all a matter of opinion. Unfortunately, a black belt in one style does not equal a black belt in another. It has taken me 13 years to get to 2nd degree in my style (with some time off in the middle), does it annoy me when someone who's been doing a style for 5 years is a 3rd dan? Absolutely, but I know how hard I worked for the two stripes on my belt and that's all that matters to me. I know that there are 3rds and 4ths in other styles that aren't as good as me. I also know that there are 1sts in other styles that are better than me. I once was working out at a school where a woman had been a student there for almost 20 years and still hadn't gotten her black belt, and she was damn good. Comparing time to black belt isn't going to get you anywhere, so just leave it alone.
Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7891011 1213141521 ... LastLast