Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2005 11:37am

Style: Hawaiian shirts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Getting to the bottom of Shaolin-do

What began as a sense of awe while reading the "history" of shaolin-do (http://www.ashevilleshaolin.com/history.html) has gradually morphed into disgust and righteous anger. I started training there last week as something of a martial arts impulse buy, and since even the sifu thinks something is up (he's dropped the -do from the shaolin-do and brings in BJJ instructors on Saturdays for himself and his students), I feel the need to get to the bottom of this.

I'm also a history major at UNCA and am working on my senior thesis. I'm thinking the two could be combined.

As luck would have it, it turns out Sin Kwang Thé is coming to Asheville in late March. He's going to be personally attending the belt testing at Asheville Shaolin and deciding whether or not it should become officially offiliated with the Shaolin-Do association. It's almost as if the hand of God was behind these events.

So I intend to get to the bottom of this and try to arrange an interview with "Grandmaster" Thé while he is here. At the very least I want an explanation of the origins of his martial arts style.

This is all easier said than done. If I come off as too confrontational, I'll never get an interview. If I throw softball questions, he can be evasive and dodge any accountability. I'm thinking a good strategy may be to come in acting like an admirer, but then try to somehow trap him and get him to contradict himself.

Any suggestions on how to get the interview? What to ask if I do get it? Thanks in advance.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    2/21/2005 3:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL THATS THE DUDE THAT CLAIMS TO HAVE MELTED A BABY IN HIS HANDS!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2005 3:49pm

Style: Hawaiian shirts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...yeah, so I heard...

I'm hoping that in a more private environment for a scholarly topic he may try to avoid such blatant exaggerations. I also want to use questions that would not lead to such tangents.

For instance, I intend to ask about Ie Chang Ming, not what he could do but what his personality was like, Thé's relationship with him, and hopefully catch him a bit off guard when I ask why there is only a painting of him but a photograph of Su Kong.

Bit of a snag, though not entirely unsurprising: There is no contact information aside from emailing the webmaster on his main site. I'll keep you posted as I find out more.
    Last edited by The_Fan; 2/21/2005 4:54pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2005 5:02pm

Style: BJJ and MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    melted a baby? is the story posted on thi site? How could one melt a baby?

Posted On:
    2/22/2005 5:04pm

Style: N/A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's what you get for studying a 'do'. 'Do' means martial arts without the martial arts. Like Aiki-do. Ju-do. Karate-do. Shaolin-Do.

It's even stupider because it's Shaolin (Chinese) with a Do (Japanese) Why would you sign up for such a stupid thing? You deserve to get your money taken.

Posted On:
    2/22/2005 5:21pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd suggest ordering his videotape, "at the feet of the master", transcribing it, then using it as the basis for your questions. After all you viewed his DVD, and just want to ask him some followup questions. Then you can also share the transcript with us :)

BTW this site is monitored by SD people, just so you know.

Posted On:
    2/22/2005 5:28pm

Style: N/A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, you've pretty much killed any chance by posting on a public forum like this. In the off chance that nobody's seen this, you might get an interview by pretending to be a good guy and doing a school report or something, but don't expect any Chinese guys to do any real fighting, it's probably not going to happen.

It's also against oriental etiquette these days for the Chinese master to do actual free fighting with anybody or their students, even if they ARE good. You basically have no way to find out if they're good. You'd best judge off of his senior students who should still do fighting.

Not Enough Weight

Posted On:
    2/22/2005 6:10pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I live in Lexington, where both The and his brother teach. They're both pretty reclusive when it comes to doling out actual information, so I think you'd have a good deal of trouble arranging just an impromptu interview with him. If your ethics are less than ironclad, you could try to come up with a cover, i.e. research for a book or magazine article or something.
    "Even if one's head were to be suddenly cut off, he should be able to perform one more action with certainty."
    -Yamamoto Tsunetomo

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    2/22/2005 6:18pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Method2Madness
    melted a baby? is the story posted on thi site? How could one melt a baby?
    As I recall it was supposed to be the result of his poison palm training.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2005 7:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Re: Melting Babies

Are you guys fuckin' serious? That's got to be one of the stupidest, albeit coolest, things I've ever heard. Why the hell would anyone want to be associated with that stupid mofo?...much less actually give them money. No offence to The_Fan, I'm refering to the more hardcore SD people. Honestly, what could possibly justify that? I think I'd opt for Muay Thai or something even if SD people were the best fighters on the planet.
Page 1 of 27 1 234511 ... LastLast