The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    2/23/2003 5:07pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi KF,
    You can do weights safely at your age but due to the fact your body is growing you may not see that much benefit yet.

Fatality Dragon gives good advice.
    There is a saying 'the strongest man in the world will fast become the weakest man if his cardio is bad'.

Try working up to high reps in bodyweight exercises for the moment (say 100 squats, 80 pushups/reverse pushups, 80 calf raises, 20 chin ups, 20 dips, etc)

--------
    What would happen if a one hand clapper attempted to stop a tree falling in the woods when no one else was around?
    --------
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Village Idiot

Posted On:
    2/23/2003 11:36pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The reason Boyd didn't see any results was because he didn't know how to properly lift.

I've been lifting on and off now for the past 6 months and I have added alittle bit of mass to my arms and chest.

I am 17 years old, I know alot of people my age that lift and it can help tremendously. Nothing can improve grappling skill except grappling and the same goes for striking.

Its makes you look better and alot more agile.
    I'll make one when I can find one I like.

Reading FD cause cancer

small hick city full with college students in Cali

Posted On:
    2/23/2003 11:53pm

Style: Muay Thai and boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rock climbing will improve your grappling skill. If you put your life on line by just your grappling strenght when you are hanging by small rocks up 300 feet. I PROMISE you, you will grip HARDER! I have been rock climbing all life and I can break a soda can full with soda while it is close like as if it was nothing.

Next best thing is pull up. But nothing match rock climbing.

"I would rather admit I am a lousy student than say I am the best, because once you think you are the best, there is no reason to continue learning."
    I would pick bag work over masturbating, fighting over sex, and KOing someone over having a orgasm!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2003 2:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The American Academy of Pediatrics issued guidelines (in 2001?) for strength training by children in adolescence. Weightlifting can increase strength in adolescents and preadolescents, and can increase muscle size in adolescents. Gains in strength or muscle size are lost after 6 weeks if training is stopped. Injuries to growth plates can occur, but can be prevented by avoiding 'maximal lifts' - trying to lift as much as possible one time. The greatest benefits and smallest risks occur when 8 to 15 repetitions can be performed with a given weight before adding weight in small increments. Generally, at 16 you are considered an adolescent (this varies with individual development).

Get some qualified instruction to learn proper and safe technique. Do not take this lightly, you will get more benefit from lifting with perfect technique than ďcheatingĒ sets with heavier weights. After all isnít your goal to improve your MA performance not bench press a car. If you are not a member at the local gym or YMCA, ask the PE staff at your high school. The strength or wrestling coach would be good places to start. See if they will help put together a well rounded workout program including cardio and flexibility with you. If they donít have the time, ask for the wrestling teams workout program and a local training resource. Iím guessing your MA instructors havenít been able to help.

Without knowing/evaluating (goals, health, abilities, injuries,Ö) you any advice will be generalized.

Posted On:
    2/24/2003 2:11pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "You can do weights safely at your age but due to the fact your body is growing you may not see that much benefit yet."

there is some info at mayoclinic.com as well

--

Let me introduce you to my friends: Hand, Elbow and Knee.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2003 7:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey FD, rock climbing is so kool....I did it with my friend and it was real hard. He was saying something like he could crush an apple with his hands or something like that.....

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    2/24/2003 7:09pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can lift weights man. If you want a good routine for grappling email me at sgtsticky@yahoo.com I can give you a decent routine that only works 3 days a week and will make you stronger overall without overdoing it.
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    2/24/2003 7:14pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pizdoff - mayoclinic.com is pretty good. I haven't seen that before.

--------
    What would happen if a one hand clapper attempted to stop a tree falling in the woods when no one else was around?
    --------
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Reading FD cause cancer

small hick city full with college students in Cali

Posted On:
    2/24/2003 7:16pm

Style: Muay Thai and boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gunner, yes rock climbing are really hard. There are few time where I don't think I would make it back down alive because there was no way to go down or up. So I would suggest you to use rope (unlike I don't use rope lol). The reward are nice chill fresh air, wonderful view, and possibly snow, eagle nest, lake or something else.

"I would rather admit I am a lousy student than say I am the best, because once you think you are the best, there is no reason to continue learning."
    I would pick bag work over masturbating, fighting over sex, and KOing someone over having a orgasm!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2003 7:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey FD, I tried rock climbing at a gym where the wall was constantly moving like a treadmill. My buddy was like doing it at super speed, he was like a spider with huge strong hands.

KNOW YOUR LIMITS
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast