Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    2/20/2005 4:22am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honestly? There shouldn't be much hamstring work in stiff leg DLs or Romanian DLs. Your hamstrings get involved when you do the lift improperly. When done properly, you'll get a lot of work for one of the most overlooked muscle groups, yet one of the most important - your glutes.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    2/20/2005 11:27am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm, I always felt it in my hamstrings, I keep my feet about shoulder width apart. I'm going to have to recheck my posture. Thks TBM (Of course You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to TaeBo_Master again., I rep you too much lol)
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2005 1:23pm

Style: Brass Monkey

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tom- I labor for stone masons

Thai Ken- I haven't ever used weight belts but for bent over barbell rows and deadlifts, which i haven't been doing for a while.

Tae Bo master- You shun those two excercises on account of their not being good for the lower back or other reasons? As to rows, I've usually done my rows with dumbells, just because they feel better, but this program has both. I think i might sub in the romanian DLs, they seem a little better. Maybe just go really really light with the good mornings- or maybe keep the romanian dl posture on them? I'm going to run all my thoughts on this by him. I hate to harass someone who knows more than me and tell them i think they're wrong, and I hate to try to rearrange a program someone was kind enough to write out for me, but it is my back and i would rather spend the rest of my days building things than propping up a cash register somewhere.

Posted On:
    2/20/2005 1:28pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbo
    Thai Ken- I haven't ever used weight belts but for bent over barbell rows and deadlifts, which i haven't been doing for a while.
    Same here, the belt comes off for everything else, including squats. I think it must be off for squats.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Posted On:
    2/20/2005 6:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No belt. Learn to activate your internal core muscles to provide yourself with a sort of natural weight belt.

The reason I don't recommend good mornings is twofold.
    a) They have a very high risk of injury compared to other back exercises. If you're a Bruce Lee nutrider, good mornings are the back exercise that put him out for a few weeks. Otherwise, just trust me.
    b) They're not functional, at all. How often during your day are you standing totally straight legged, bent over at the waist, trying to lift weight on your shoulders?

- The Wastrel

Posted On:
    2/20/2005 6:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mantis
    Hmm, I always felt it in my hamstrings, I keep my feet about shoulder width apart. I'm going to have to recheck my posture. Thks TBM (Of course You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to TaeBo_Master again., I rep you too much lol)
    In squats and deadlifts of all kinds, people tend to leave their glutes out of it. This is apparent when you see the people (I know TBK will know who I'm talking about) who as they're DLing, straighten their legs first, and then straighten their back, in two separate movements. THe body needs to move in unison, and the glutes are what's going to unify your legs and back. Basically, as you're standing up, tighten your glutes and push your hips through the movement.

- The Wastrel

Genius

Posted On:
    2/20/2005 6:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aren't most muscles internal? Is there an external one?
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." – Voltaire.

Posted On:
    2/20/2005 8:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I mean internal in relation to other muscles. Like, the diaphragm, transversus abdominis, and internal obliques are internal in relation to the rectus abdominis and external obliques.

- The Wastrel

Posted On:
    2/20/2005 9:00pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TaeBo_Master
    In squats and deadlifts of all kinds, people tend to leave their glutes out of it. This is apparent when you see the people (I know TBK will know who I'm talking about) who as they're DLing, straighten their legs first, and then straighten their back, in two separate movements. THe body needs to move in unison, and the glutes are what's going to unify your legs and back. Basically, as you're standing up, tighten your glutes and push your hips through the movement.
    Well with the straight leg DL my legs are already straight (slight bend in knees, they are not locked out). I look up and flatten my lumbar spine out, avoiding rounding the back.

So you think I should toss aside the belt for the bent over rows and SLDL?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/20/2005 9:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They're not functional, at all. How often during your day are you standing totally straight legged, bent over at the waist, trying to lift weight on your shoulders?
    How often during the day you doing.....*anything* like proper exercise execution?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast