Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/19/2005 1:08am

Style: Brass Monkey

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Your Back and Weightlifting

an internet buddy of mine whos a personal trainer just gave me a program, lots of deadlifting, goodmornings, stiff legged deadlifts, bent over rows, power cleans, etc. My back isn't bad, but its on its way to being, or so I fear sometimes. his advice on when to wear a weightbelt for this- never wear a weightbelt, it weakens your back. It makes sense, in as much as i understand how a belt works. But the posters at old jobs of mine say other things about these movements. his opinion on that- those are for middle aged, overweight lethargic people, and they don't apply to the rest of us. This also makes sense, with how i understand things to work. Nevertheless, its been hammered into my head a thousand times not to lift with my back. Also, my job is to carry around rocks all day. I try to bend at the knees to get them, but if they're too big i have to bend at the back. A lot of times i just bend at the back anyway without paying attention. His suggestions do make sense as far as i understand the muscular system to work, save that my understanding of the lower back says that it doesn't heal and regenerate like other muscles. what gives? i'd like to get some more feedback on this. as much as i'd like to trust him... it is my back

Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    2/19/2005 1:24am

supporting member
     Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Firstly :
    Deadlift and cleans: You mainly work with your legs. You don't use a bent back for this exercises, your back should be straight.
    Secondly:
    Goodmornings and stiff legged deadlift are exercises I wouldn't recommend - just because of the high risk of using an incorrect technique and injurying your back.
    Thirdly:
    It looks to me as if your mate has given you a program which doesn't actually take your work and the fact that you are carrying rocks around, into account.
    If you keep on lifting these rocks with the correct technique - bent knees , deep squat, lift with the legs etc - your back will be pretty strong.
    I assume you need a lot of ab exercise for further core stability and to compliment what you do at work.

My advise would be to see a good coach / personal trainer/ who really takes everything you do into account.
    Get some body who shows you the proper technique for the power cleans.

Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    2/19/2005 1:54am

supporting member
     Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    just an add-on:
    the crossfit erxercises pages contains quite good images how the deadlift etc should be done.
    Worth a loook.
    http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/19/2005 10:19am

Style: Brass Monkey

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thats almost exactly how i do my deadlifts, but that my back is a little closer to perpendicular to the ground, and i bend my legs more.

as to good mornings and stiff legged deadlifts, thats always been my opinion on them, since someone showed them to me a long time back, i was like how about we do something else.

assuming i used good technique though, (i've been weighlifting off and on for five years now, i've got some experience and form is my god in the weightroom) do you think they're dangerous?

i'm still probably going to do all the excercises, with super light weight, i just want feed back from as many people as possible, given that these types of excercises are so new to me

[This space for rent]

Posted On:
    2/19/2005 6:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Timbo, what kind of job do you have that you are lifting rocks all day?

Genius

Posted On:
    2/19/2005 6:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with the no weight belt philosophy. If you've been using one, you'll have to ween yourself off of it while getting your lower torso strong enough to deal with it.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." – Voltaire.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    2/19/2005 8:59pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I also agree with no weight belt. I also agree that goodmornings and straight legged deadlifts are to be shunned. If you want a movement like that which isolates your lower back, do a Romanian Deadlift.

Also, for bent rows, I recommend dumbbells instead of a barbell..
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Ready are you? What know you of ready?

Posted On:
    2/20/2005 12:19am

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT(& Prenatal Yoga)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TBM,

What is the difference between stiff Leg DL and Romanian DL? I thought they were the same thing.
    If a `religion' is defined to be a system of ideas that contains unprovable statements, then Godel taught us that mathematics is not only a religion, it is the only religion that can prove itself to be one. -- John Barrow

Talk to TBK's boyfriend:

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    2/20/2005 12:27am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to too. A stiff legged, you keep the knees straight, and what this does is prevents you from keeping a good bow in your back as you lean over at the hip. In a Romanian deadlift, your knees are bent around 30 degrees, allowing you to maintain a good arch in the back all the way down to 90 degree hip flexion, barring hamstring tightness.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    2/20/2005 12:46am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Will I get the same hamstring work with the romanian DL?
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast