Page 8 of 9 First ... 456789 Last
  1. #71
    jubei33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    the H-bomb
    Posts
    1,606
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Styygens View Post
    "Nothing", says you!
    Well, a.) I forgot to mention the Inspector General's Office, b.) you read too many conspiracy websites, and c.) you can't believe everything you see in the movies. Nobody votes for Nick, because he's a civil servant. He's appointed by the duly-elected leaders. Just like J. Edgar Hoover.
    Funny you should mention it, even Hoover had to obey the power of the purse and judicial oversight. You think Nick Fury has ever had to sit through a congressional budget office meeting, or gone to ask a judge for a wiretap?

    "Hey, uh Nick, we've made a good case so far--got a lot of evidence, but this is extralegal surveillance and just to be legal I think we should get a warrant. I'm 100% positive with what we've got a judge would sign whatever we--"

    "WHAT DID YOU SAY!! MOFO, I'M NICK FURY!!!"


    But hey! You're a Super Villain, part of your job is to justify your motives. I mean, what fun is a Super Villain who comes right out and says, "I'm evil!" Who would follow him? (Ok, maybe if you have a really good Group Medical plan...) But then, you really do strike me as more of a "take over the world"-type than a "Burn it all to the ground" anarchist.
    I think my motivations would surprise you very much.

    Tell the truth: You're in this gig for the chicks, aren't you?
    You offer is flattering, however I am happily married. Surprised?
    http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/

    He was punching him like the collective karmic debt he'd accrued was coming to collections, mostly on his face.

  2. #72
    Styygens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,178
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jubei33 View Post
    Funny you should mention it, even Hoover had to obey the power of the purse and judicial oversight. You think Nick Fury has ever had to sit through a congressional budget office meeting, or gone to ask a judge for a wiretap?
    Yes, because that's exactly the kind of bureaucratic minutia that drove Max Nick Fury crazy.

  3. #73

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    4,000
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Styygens View Post
    Yes, because that's exactly the kind of bureaucratic minutia that drove Max Nick Fury crazy.
    Heck, if we go by Max, Nick Fury was the man going "What have you madmen done? YOU ARE THE MONSTERS! ALL OF YOU!" to the CIA and the Army.

    Also relevant:
    While it's true Nick Fury wasn't voted in, Norman Osborn ascended to head of SHIELD with the kind of popular support that George Bush (either George Bush) would have killed for.

  4. #74
    jubei33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    the H-bomb
    Posts
    1,606
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Styygens View Post
    Yes, because that's exactly the kind of bureaucratic minutia that drove Max Nick Fury crazy.
    Obnoxious is fine, but it's a purposeful check on the overbearing power of bureaucracy. There is a value to having an open participatory system where people can see the value of their dollars being spent.

    Furthermore, I have it on good authority that Fury takes his orders from the majestic 12. There's nothing that says freedom more than a mysterious oligarchical cabal. And how about that helicarrier he always flies around in. Ever wonder why demand for gas is so high that it costs 4$/gallon?

    Nick Fury, what a fucker....
    http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/

    He was punching him like the collective karmic debt he'd accrued was coming to collections, mostly on his face.

  5. #75
    Styygens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,178
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now, Vince. Let's not get too worked up.

    Jubei's question, "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" is healthy and completely understandable. It's hard in an open society to accept security organizations that operate under a veil of secrecy.

    As someone who has now sat through hours of annual, mandatory, online Compliance training, and what seems like an equal number of hours in PowerPoint briefings from lawyers, I can tell you SHIELD places a high premium on operatives understanding their legal responsibilities and what to do if they witness a violation. But I understand if a member of the general public doesn't easily accept that statement at face value.

  6. #76

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    4,000
    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Styygens View Post
    .
    Jubei's question, "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" is healthy and completely understandable. It's hard in an open society to accept security organizations that operate under a veil of secrecy.
    Meh. I consider it the height of foolishness to run an organization that is responsible for countering everything from undead ninjas to gamma radiated dinosaurs with the same process that we use to pick the winners of American Idol.

  7. #77
    Styygens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,178
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

  8. #78
    jubei33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    the H-bomb
    Posts
    1,606
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Styygens View Post
    Now, Vince. Let's not get too worked up.

    Jubei's question, "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" is healthy and completely understandable. It's hard in an open society to accept security organizations that operate under a veil of secrecy.

    As someone who has now sat through hours of annual, mandatory, online Compliance training, and what seems like an equal number of hours in PowerPoint briefings from lawyers, I can tell you SHIELD places a high premium on operatives understanding their legal responsibilities and what to do if they witness a violation. But I understand if a member of the general public doesn't easily accept that statement at face value.
    Me: "Don't you think that an unmonitored, quasi-legal government organization is an inherent abridgement of our freedom and a powerful, unrestrained contest to the meaning and intent of the constitution?"

    you: "Well, we watched a powerpoint about that..."

    You joined SHIELD like two days ago, you're still a recruit, a pink badge. I bet they haven't even given you a real pass key, yet. Ha! By that timeline you haven't even got the results back from your urine, hair, poo and blood tests. Better hope you didn't smoke up within the last couple of months (or longer), because I happen to know for a fact they use Sciex 5500 QTRAPs to find trace up to parts per trillion!

    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli
    ..with the same process that we use to pick the winners of American Idol.
    LOL!
    http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/

    He was punching him like the collective karmic debt he'd accrued was coming to collections, mostly on his face.

  9. #79
    jubei33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    the H-bomb
    Posts
    1,606
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Styygens, I just want you to know I went personally to the NRL and ran your results: Good news you're 6 months pregnant. I hope that helps with the standard hazing that goes on for all recruits. The tattoo they'll give you will be a golden memory, I'm sure.

    On the other hand, if you play it right you could get up to a month of sweet maternity leave. Not a consequence that I would have chosen, but meh...Just count that one up as one of the unexpected benefits of greater villainy. No need to thank me.

    Oh and the stink bug swarm batch is nearly complete. I hope you and the boys of the state secret security apparatus are prepared. Better buy some fels naptha or lava (they won't help).
    Last edited by jubei33; 9/28/2012 6:36pm at .
    http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/

    He was punching him like the collective karmic debt he'd accrued was coming to collections, mostly on his face.

  10. #80
    Styygens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,178
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jubei33 View Post
    Styygens, I just want you to know I went personally to the NRL and ran your results: Good news you're 6 months pregnant.

    Meh. Weird stuff like this happens all the time in comic books. Ten bucks says I lose the baby due to some mystical confluence or getting too close to someone with one of the more unusual mutant powers. In five years time, the whole story is either ignored or retconned.

    No biggie.

Page 8 of 9 First ... 456789 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO