225115 Bullies, 3699 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 61 to 70 of 112
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. theAsthmatic is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston, Ma
    Posts
    194

    Posted On:
    5/15/2013 10:05am


     Style: sambo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Might I point out, I learned bullshido and I used it to defend myself in an SD situation?
    Was this you?

  2. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,976

    Posted On:
    5/15/2013 1:01pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by katahajime View Post
    True, and this is why I used qualifiers when I posted.
    See qualifiers are great when used correctly. Since we are going into semantics let me show you why I disagree.

    I think one of the great advantages of joining an art as an adult is that you are more likely to have good tools in your intellectual toolbox. You have education and life experience that probably allows you a more objective assessment of what you are being taught. -[snip]- I would still argue that its true on the average
    Yes, I saw your qualifiers and I disagreed with them. "On average" "more than likely" and " advantage of joining as an adult" is where we disagree. I think what you described is exactly the opposite. The so called "Mcdojos" and "dead drill schools" are still very strong. They are full of kids whose ADULT parents, look for things like respect and honor, which do exist in alive schools, but is ignored because "sports aren't self defense."

    I live and work in Utah. In Pat�s stomping ground, although we have never met. The majority of folks who reside here are Mormon, so much so that they tend to assume I am as well. It is remarkable to my eyes, what they accept doctrinally. It takes a certain amount of dissonance or faith (more so than most). And yet these people were my professors and instructors. They taught me statistical and graphical analysis and other sophisticated empirical skills. They are able to apply empiricism, analysis, and skepticism in many domains as well as anyone else.
    I lived and worked in UTAH, traveled constantly to Boise and lived in other states. It has nothing to do with doctrine. What you just described happens in every state. I also went to college there for a minute. This isn't a religious or state based argument. I know many a professor or college graduate, many in math and science, whose empirical thinking get screwed up when watching the Shaolin Monks break things and balance on spears.
    Kids, don�t have the tools to sort out quality from something that looks good and/or is delivered by a charismatic and authoritative figure. An adult might.
    An adult might is a good qualifier, I can agree with that not most or on average. Kids go where their parents choose, so kids don't have to sort out anything. This goes back to my earlier point about the "average" and "more than likely" qualifiers. An example would be my cousin who swears up and down her 8 and 10 year old 3rd degree TKD BBs could beat my 14 and 15 year old wrestling sons. One of which is 6'1, 165lbs and wrestled with a 10-2 record. Oh and a 3rd degree black belt father that showed them a thing or two. You know because my boys do "sports" and don't have BBs. Why is this relevant? She graduated with honors, from her college and has a BS in Math.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 5/15/2013 1:14pm at .
  3. goodlun is online now
    goodlun's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ramona
    Posts
    5,123

    Posted On:
    5/15/2013 2:37pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    An example would be my cousin who swears up and down her 8 and 10 year old 3rd degree TKD BBs could beat my 14 and 15 year old wrestling sons. One of which is 6'1, 165lbs and wrestled with a 10-2 record. Oh and a 3rd degree black belt father that showed them a thing or two. You know because my boys do "sports" and don't have BBs. Why is this relevant? She graduated with honors, from her college and has a BS in Math.
    You should convince her to empirically test that theory.
  4. Permalost is offline
    Permalost's Avatar

    pro nonsense self defense

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    12,555

    Posted On:
    5/15/2013 2:49pm

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    You should convince her to empirically test that theory.
    What?!? NO!! Those 8 and 10 year olds would certainly kill the wrestling teenagers!
  5. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,976

    Posted On:
    5/15/2013 3:24pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theAsthmatic View Post
    Was this you?

    I've never been a gangsta nor white. I've played an oreo in school though.
  6. goodlun is online now
    goodlun's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ramona
    Posts
    5,123

    Posted On:
    5/15/2013 3:31pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I've never been a gangsta nor white. I've played an oreo in school though.
    Wait being black =/= to being a gangster? Damn it all those news reports I watched comming to age in SoCal in the 90s lied to me.
  7. katahajime is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    18

    Posted On:
    5/15/2013 5:45pm


     Style: Tae Kwon Do, Judo, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Yes, I saw your qualifiers and I disagreed with them. "On average" "more than likely" and " advantage of joining as an adult" is where we disagree. I think what you described is exactly the opposite.
    Thank you for elaborating.

    I lived and worked in UTAH, traveled constantly to Boise and lived in other states. It has nothing to do with doctrine. What you just described happens in every state.
    To the same degree? Thats not been my experience.

    Kids go where their parents choose, so kids don't have to sort out anything.
    I agree, but I was not referring to where they attend so much as what they accept when they get there. I lived for wrestling in High School. I was taught any number of good things in a good way, but I was also taught some things that look pretty silly in retrospect. Ditto with Judo or other forms of martial arts. I think kids have a lot to sort out, tons to sort out in fact.

    One of which is 6'1, 165lbs and wrestled with a 10-2 record. Oh and a 3rd degree black belt father that showed them a thing or two.
    I hope he does great and has a ball with it!
  8. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,976

    Posted On:
    5/15/2013 5:59pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by katahajime View Post


    To the same degree? Thats not been my experience.
    Yes, to the exact same degree. Shaolin-do, Temple Kung Fu, Ninjutsu, Villari etc is the proof I'd use from multiple states.


    I agree, but I was not referring to where they attend so much as what they accept when they get there. I lived for wrestling in High School. I was taught any number of good things in a good way, but I was also taught some things that look pretty silly in retrospect. Ditto with Judo or other forms of martial arts. I think kids have a lot to sort out, tons to sort out in fact.
    It still applies because the silliness, for the most part, is weeded out in competition. When you wallow in the same complaint techniques, nothing is ever truly tested and found to be wanting.


    I hope he does great and has a ball with it!
    Thanks he loves it and actually likes it over football and track. Also, that is my youngest, he is a monster and the tallest in the house since he was 13. He gets his physical soon, he may actually be 6'2.
  9. goodlun is online now
    goodlun's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ramona
    Posts
    5,123

    Posted On:
    5/15/2013 6:07pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by katahajime View Post
    To the same degree? Thats not been my experience.
    So far I have enjoyed the majority of your post. However come really examine your experiences with other adults think about how many of them have a hard time with separating reality from fiction.

    Also you may enjoy this
    http://lggagnon.wordpress.com/2012/1...t-crazy-ideas/
  10. katahajime is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    18

    Posted On:
    5/15/2013 7:54pm


     Style: Tae Kwon Do, Judo, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    I did, thank you Goodlun.
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.