Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2013 10:05am

Style: sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Might I point out, I learned bullshido and I used it to defend myself in an SD situation?
    Was this you?

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/15/2013 1:01pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by katahajime View Post
    True, and this is why I used qualifiers when I posted.
    See qualifiers are great when used correctly. Since we are going into semantics let me show you why I disagree.

I think one of the great advantages of joining an art as an adult is that you are more likely to have good tools in your intellectual toolbox. You have education and life experience that probably allows you a more objective assessment of what you are being taught. -[snip]- I would still argue that its true on the average
    Yes, I saw your qualifiers and I disagreed with them. "On average" "more than likely" and " advantage of joining as an adult" is where we disagree. I think what you described is exactly the opposite. The so called "Mcdojos" and "dead drill schools" are still very strong. They are full of kids whose ADULT parents, look for things like respect and honor, which do exist in alive schools, but is ignored because "sports aren't self defense."

I live and work in Utah. In Pat�s stomping ground, although we have never met. The majority of folks who reside here are Mormon, so much so that they tend to assume I am as well. It is remarkable to my eyes, what they accept doctrinally. It takes a certain amount of dissonance or faith (more so than most). And yet these people were my professors and instructors. They taught me statistical and graphical analysis and other sophisticated empirical skills. They are able to apply empiricism, analysis, and skepticism in many domains as well as anyone else.
    I lived and worked in UTAH, traveled constantly to Boise and lived in other states. It has nothing to do with doctrine. What you just described happens in every state. I also went to college there for a minute. This isn't a religious or state based argument. I know many a professor or college graduate, many in math and science, whose empirical thinking get screwed up when watching the Shaolin Monks break things and balance on spears.
    Kids, don�t have the tools to sort out quality from something that looks good and/or is delivered by a charismatic and authoritative figure. An adult might.
    An adult might is a good qualifier, I can agree with that not most or on average. Kids go where their parents choose, so kids don't have to sort out anything. This goes back to my earlier point about the "average" and "more than likely" qualifiers. An example would be my cousin who swears up and down her 8 and 10 year old 3rd degree TKD BBs could beat my 14 and 15 year old wrestling sons. One of which is 6'1, 165lbs and wrestled with a 10-2 record. Oh and a 3rd degree black belt father that showed them a thing or two. You know because my boys do "sports" and don't have BBs. Why is this relevant? She graduated with honors, from her college and has a BS in Math.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 5/15/2013 1:14pm at .

Posted On:
    5/15/2013 2:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    An example would be my cousin who swears up and down her 8 and 10 year old 3rd degree TKD BBs could beat my 14 and 15 year old wrestling sons. One of which is 6'1, 165lbs and wrestled with a 10-2 record. Oh and a 3rd degree black belt father that showed them a thing or two. You know because my boys do "sports" and don't have BBs. Why is this relevant? She graduated with honors, from her college and has a BS in Math.
    You should convince her to empirically test that theory.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/15/2013 2:49pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    You should convince her to empirically test that theory.
    What?!? NO!! Those 8 and 10 year olds would certainly kill the wrestling teenagers!

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/15/2013 3:24pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theAsthmatic View Post
    Was this you?

I've never been a gangsta nor white. I've played an oreo in school though.

Posted On:
    5/15/2013 3:31pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never been a gangsta nor white. I've played an oreo in school though.
    Wait being black =/= to being a gangster? Damn it all those news reports I watched comming to age in SoCal in the 90s lied to me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2013 5:45pm

Style: Tae Kwon Do, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, I saw your qualifiers and I disagreed with them. "On average" "more than likely" and " advantage of joining as an adult" is where we disagree. I think what you described is exactly the opposite.
    Thank you for elaborating.

I lived and worked in UTAH, traveled constantly to Boise and lived in other states. It has nothing to do with doctrine. What you just described happens in every state.
    To the same degree? Thats not been my experience.

Kids go where their parents choose, so kids don't have to sort out anything.
    I agree, but I was not referring to where they attend so much as what they accept when they get there. I lived for wrestling in High School. I was taught any number of good things in a good way, but I was also taught some things that look pretty silly in retrospect. Ditto with Judo or other forms of martial arts. I think kids have a lot to sort out, tons to sort out in fact.

One of which is 6'1, 165lbs and wrestled with a 10-2 record. Oh and a 3rd degree black belt father that showed them a thing or two.
    I hope he does great and has a ball with it!

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/15/2013 5:59pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Yes, to the exact same degree. Shaolin-do, Temple Kung Fu, Ninjutsu, Villari etc is the proof I'd use from multiple states.

I agree, but I was not referring to where they attend so much as what they accept when they get there. I lived for wrestling in High School. I was taught any number of good things in a good way, but I was also taught some things that look pretty silly in retrospect. Ditto with Judo or other forms of martial arts. I think kids have a lot to sort out, tons to sort out in fact.
    It still applies because the silliness, for the most part, is weeded out in competition. When you wallow in the same complaint techniques, nothing is ever truly tested and found to be wanting.

I hope he does great and has a ball with it!
    Thanks he loves it and actually likes it over football and track. Also, that is my youngest, he is a monster and the tallest in the house since he was 13. He gets his physical soon, he may actually be 6'2.

Posted On:
    5/15/2013 6:07pm

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So far I have enjoyed the majority of your post. However come really examine your experiences with other adults think about how many of them have a hard time with separating reality from fiction.

Also you may enjoy this
    http://lggagnon.wordpress.com/2012/1...t-crazy-ideas/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2013 7:54pm

Style: Tae Kwon Do, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    I did, thank you Goodlun.
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 ... LastLast