Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2013 10:36pm

Style: HS Cuddling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by midnight_sun View Post

I'm sorry, but all I see are dead drills or drills with very light resistance.

Unless there is some video evidence of sparring, this school is going to be marked down as Bullshido, and due to their emphasis on "family martial art", possibly McDojo.

And to be honest, you're leaving a very bad impression of this school.

Edit: I'd also like to point out that schools are "$H!T" until proven effective. Particular lineage, culture, techniques, history, even amount of time trained don't matter here. The people here of Bullshido are only concerned with whether it works or not.

Yes, it is very possible to do something badly for 40 years, especially with TMA. You can learn Aikido from a "Master" with 50 years of experience for 6 years and be much worse off at fighting and defending yourself than a boxer or wrestler with a year of experience from a local gym.
    Last edited by Cuddles; 5/13/2013 10:42pm at .

Posted On:
    5/13/2013 10:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But going around talking $h!t about others schools is very disrespectful. These are the people who should man up and take a private lesson so you can experience for yourself how a Master will respond when being attacked.
    Schools that promise self defense but play lightly touch each other while padded up and claim to do Judo but have a brown belt blowing throws against a much lower belt are being disrespectful to their customers. Sorry if the truth hurts but I am not in the business of worrying about the feelings of people who are selling crap.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2013 9:10am

Style: sambo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "reinforce your position that Kyuki-do has some merit as an art for self-defence."

I don't think I can to an outsider. Each individual wants something different.
    No offense, but that sounds like cult talk. If someone asked me to explain the usefulness of say mathematics, I could, whether that person is an outsider or not, would have no bearing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2013 9:13am

Style: Tae Kwon Do, Judo, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    /shrugs

Remember Midnight, this is the Martial Arts BS, Fraud, Investigations, and Skepticism forum. Your Dojang will have a certain etiquette, but so does MABS. Compliant videos are not live videos, which is the gold standard Bullshido memberís use. If you canít find those, then I think it better not to post other kinds of videos.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/14/2013 1:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Hsingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Resonance10 wrote :
    "care to share? You seem to be avoiding the opportunity to make your point."

I'm not quite sure what you are talking about. You are commenting on two beginners points sparing in a home movie? How does that define the quality of a martial arts self defense? It doesn't. They had the balls to get in a ring and spar. Most people don't even get that far so for that I applaud them.
    How was I commenting on a video? My words are written right under a quote from you. Try again.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2013 9:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theAsthmatic View Post
    No offense, but that sounds like cult talk. If someone asked me to explain the usefulness of say mathematics, I could, whether that person is an outsider or not, would have no bearing.
    On a somewhat related matter, I think one of the great advantages of joining an art as an adult is that you are more likely to have good tools in your intellectual toolbox. You have education and life experience that probably allows you a more objective assessment of what you are being taught. Obviously not every adult can do this on a consistent basis, so counter examples are easy to spot. I would still argue that itís true on the average.

Speaking only for myself, I find nothing in Kyukido that canít be task-analyzed, broken down, and explained. I find nothing within it to be metaphysical in a way that defies description. Thatís been my experience at least (and a positive one).

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/14/2013 10:03pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
    I'm sorry, but all I see are dead drills or drills with very light resistance.

Unless there is some video evidence of sparring, this school is going to be marked down as Bullshido, and due to their emphasis on "family martial art", possibly McDojo.

And to be honest, you're leaving a very bad impression of this school.

Edit: I'd also like to point out that schools are "$H!T" until proven effective. Particular lineage, culture, techniques, history, even amount of time trained don't matter here. The people here of Bullshido are only concerned with whether it works or not.

Yes, it is very possible to do something badly for 40 years, especially with TMA. You can learn Aikido from a "Master" with 50 years of experience for 6 years and be much worse off at fighting and defending yourself than a boxer or wrestler with a year of experience from a local gym.
    Stop.

If his rank is legit, then the MASTER is not Bullshido. Yes, even with those videos as support. Bullshido is fraudulent and contains elements of a McDojo. A legit instructor can teach at a McDojo, own a McDojo and pass on McDojo teachings while not being bullshido.

Oh and no, everyone here is NOT concerned with it working. Like cardio kickboxing certain things have their place.

Quote Originally Posted by katahajime View Post
    On a somewhat related matter, I think one of the great advantages of joining an art as an adult is that you are more likely to have good tools in your intellectual toolbox. You have education and life experience that probably allows you a more objective assessment of what you are being taught. Obviously not every adult can do this on a consistent basis, so counter examples are easy to spot. I would still argue that itís true on the average.

Speaking only for myself, I find nothing in Kyukido that canít be task-analyzed, broken down, and explained. I find nothing within it to be metaphysical in a way that defies description. Thatís been my experience at least (and a positive one).
    I will vehemently disagree. There are millions of people larping as ninjas and believe Scientology is not based on a joke by L. Ron Hubbard.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 5/14/2013 10:07pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2013 10:21pm

Style: HS Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Oh and no, everyone here is NOT concerned with it working. Like cardio kickboxing certain things have their place.
    Mightn't I point out that sir midnightsun has stated that the style promotes and teaches self-defense? Sure, Kyuki-do may have it's place as a cultural style, but trying to teach something that doesn't work as self-defense is a misguided and deluded practice. At least, imho.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/14/2013 11:37pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
    Mightn't I point out that sir midnightsun has stated that the style promotes and teaches self-defense? Sure, Kyuki-do may have it's place as a cultural style, but trying to teach something that doesn't work as self-defense is a misguided and deluded practice. At least, imho.
    Might I point out, I learned bullshido and I used it to defend myself in an SD situation?

First, you have to PROVE it doesn't work.
    Second, lets not mix better training with mediocre, poor or fake training.

See, the above is an anecdote so:
    http://www.necn.com/Boston/New-Engla...206047439.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...attackers.html

Those videos, while not alive , can and have worked. Now, we can argue McDojo, unrealistic, low percentage etc all day long. My point is, do not mix McDojo with bullshido.

Here's the rub, while you may say promoting SD is bullshido, that doesn't make the school or the teacher bullshido.

Welcome to Bullshido!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2013 8:32am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I will vehemently disagree. There are millions of people larping as ninjas and believe Scientology is not based on a joke by L. Ron Hubbard.
    True, and this is why I used qualifiers when I posted. I live and work in Utah. In Patís stomping ground, although we have never met. The majority of folks who reside here are Mormon, so much so that they tend to assume I am as well. It is remarkable to my eyes, what they accept doctrinally. It takes a certain amount of dissonance or faith (more so than most). And yet these people were my professors and instructors. They taught me statistical and graphical analysis and other sophisticated empirical skills. They are able to apply empiricism, analysis, and skepticism in many domains as well as anyone else.

Kids, donít have the tools to sort out quality from something that looks good and/or is delivered by a charismatic and authoritative figure. An adult might.
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 ... LastLast