233397 Bullies, 3885 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 41 to 50 of 112
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Katje is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    645

    Posted On:
    5/13/2013 2:26pm


     Style: Escrima n00b

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    Oh yeah?

    Neverican...comet punch...falcon punch.

    No, mere points won't be enough.
    You forgot.... THE HURTICANE!!!!!!!
  2. Katje is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    645

    Posted On:
    5/13/2013 2:39pm


     Style: Escrima n00b

    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by midnight_sun View Post
    If you Search youtube for Kyuki-do you will find most of the Kyuki-do Forms videos. These were put out by a group in Utah that are a bit far removed from the Homebase in Elgin, Illinois. They have some mistakes in them and weren't authorized by the AKF but none the less they are almost as the book. Students use them to learn the forms and because of this we can spot whos watching the videos and whos learning in class. :)
    Hi again! Thanks for your post. The reason that I suggested that you post vids of sparring isn't because I'm lazy, but because I might find a sparring vid and go "OMG THIS TOTALLY SUCKS" but that particular sample could be waaaaay off base from what you do. If you post videos of what you consider to be a good example of what you do at your school it could well reinforce your position that kyuki do has some merit as an art for self-defence. The point isn't to catch you out or make you look bad, it's actually quite the opposite.

    Kyuki-dos beginning 12 belts.
    12th kup = Junior White - unearned
    11th kup = Yellow stripe
    10th kup = Yellow belt
    9th kup = Green Stripe
    8th kup = Junior Green Belt
    7th kup = Blue Stripe
    6th kup = Junior Blue belt
    5th kup = Brow stripe
    4th kup = Junior Brown belt
    3th kup = Red Stripe
    2nd kup = Junior Red belt
    1st kup = Black Stripe
    1st dan = Black Belt - now one is ready to learn
    How long does it usually take to earn a black belt? What is one ready to learn then that the couldn't have learned in the grades before?
  3. Resonance10 is offline
    Resonance10's Avatar

    Welterweight

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    SarfLondon UK
    Posts
    769

    Posted On:
    5/13/2013 4:29pm

    supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Hsingyi

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theAsthmatic View Post
    Sorry for the slight derail, but it's entirely possible to polish a turd, and here is conclusive proof.


    /derail.
    ****!!

    Let me put it another way directly embracing my failure. You can polish a turd.. it is however still a turd.


    Posted by Midnight_Sun
    How do i test self defense? I honestly like fighting! Until someone decides to attack me again I stress test what i'm taught in the dojo against force and real attacks
    Care to share? You seem to be avoiding the opportunity to make your point.
    Last edited by Resonance10; 5/13/2013 5:00pm at . Reason: spllg
  4. midnight_sun is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    12

    Posted On:
    5/13/2013 5:42pm


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "reinforce your position that Kyuki-do has some merit as an art for self-defence."

    I don't think I can to an outsider. Each individual wants something different. If you would like to learn how to punch, kick, & throw from either side, learn to control weapons with both sides and want to go through the ranks with your child... you will be able to do that while going to the same classes. If you want to learn about firearms and military tactics you should seek that out on your own time or in a school who's master specializes in such defense.... that's not to say Kali sticks couldn't be replaced with knives or open hand couldn't contain Kubotan.

    Some videos -


  5. goodlun is online now
    goodlun's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ramona
    Posts
    5,588

    Posted On:
    5/13/2013 5:59pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am sorry self defense isn't subjective. It will either help you defend yourself or it won't. All the other stuff may or may not hold value to an individual and can be judged on those bases by each person. But from what I see, a self defense claim is a stretch of the truth.
  6. Vieux Normand is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,271

    Posted On:
    5/13/2013 6:30pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Katje View Post
    You forgot.... THE HURTICANE!!!!!!!
    Yes.

    It took a fair bit of time, but I finally did.

    Until you reminded me just now.

    Thanks. A. Lot.
  7. midnight_sun is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    12

    Posted On:
    5/13/2013 6:42pm


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Resonance10 wrote :
    "are to share? You seem to be avoiding the opportunity to make your point."
    I'm not quite sure what you are talking about. You are commenting on two beginners points sparing in a home movie? How does that define the quality of a martial arts self defense? It doesn't. They had the balls to get in a ring and spar. Most people don't even get that far so for that I applaud them.

    goodlun wrote:
    self defense claim is a stretch of the truth.
    so BJJ is great self defense? some would argue BJJ isnt but GJJ is... others would argue neither is and is the reason why guys need Muay Thai to be well rounded. I believe both are. Its how you apply it.

    Define good self defense? Mine is if you get attacked and you get away safely you used good self defense.
  8. goodlun is online now
    goodlun's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ramona
    Posts
    5,588

    Posted On:
    5/13/2013 6:53pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by midnight_sun View Post

    goodlun wrote:

    so BJJ is great self defense? some would argue BJJ isnt but GJJ is... others would argue neither is and is the reason why guys need Muay Thai to be well rounded. I believe both are. Its how you apply it.

    Define good self defense? Mine is if you get attacked and you get away safely you used good self defense.
    I am fine with your definition in fact its one I use often.

    It all comes down to having the tools that allow you to get away safely. What threats you're likely to face. I didn't claim that their only one path to self defense, just that there are truths. Its not willy nilly. So while we can hair split over the minor difference of BJJ/GJJ the truth is both give you ground fighting competences. Its a truth that you need a ground fighting system if your going to be serious about defending yourself. It doesn't matter much if it comes from Wrestling, Judo, Sambo, or other as long as it is sufficient to do the job of getting you out of an inferior position back to your feet against someone that has at least an inclining of what they are doing.
    Striking is a good thing to have for Self Defense so is stick work but neither are mandatory. As as you put it get away without them however you are safer if you do have them. As long as the striking you're doing is competent and pressure tested.

    Sloppy striking and sloppy grappling is likely to get you into more trouble than to help.

    You have failed to argue how your system gives you these tools you said some wishy washy mushy crap that has nothing to do with the development of these tools.

    While I am not an expert what I see in the videos is sloppy striking and grappling.
  9. midnight_sun is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    12

    Posted On:
    5/13/2013 7:13pm


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really applaud any school that provides someone the courage to stand up for loved ones or ones self. That provided them tools they can use to protect friends and family from harm. I know plenty who I consider VERY good fighters who choose to walk away from a smart ass drunk. Could we smash these guys into a coffin? Sure, but its better self defense to walk away when possible. If the drunk or gang member tries to restrict you from walking or you feel the threat is that high then attack without mercy. At that point im taking eyes and snapping things...not sparing.

    Everyone wants to train in the "Best" Martial Art? Define what you want to get out of it and find what suits you...But going around talking $h!t about others schools is very disrespectful. These are the people who should man up and take a private lesson so you can experience for yourself how a Master will respond when being attacked.
  10. cualltaigh is online now
    cualltaigh's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cooltown, SEQ
    Posts
    1,364

    Posted On:
    5/13/2013 10:22pm


     Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by midnight_sun View Post
    I really applaud any school that provides someone the courage to stand up for loved ones or ones self. That provided them tools they can use to protect friends and family from harm.
    Instilling self-confidence is great. Encouraging people to get beaten up in front of their families by not providing the skills to backup said confidence, not so great. Encouraging/applauding such behaviour makes you complicit.

    Quote Originally Posted by midnight_sun View Post
    I know plenty who I consider VERY good fighters who choose to walk away from a smart ass drunk... but its better self defense to walk away when possible.
    This point is not being contended (ignoring what it is you consider to be a VERY good fighter, that is).

    Quote Originally Posted by midnight_sun View Post
    Could we smash these guys into a coffin? Sure
    This point is, or more specifically, your ability to achieve your confidently assumed outcome is being contended. So far, it would seem, for good reason.

    Quote Originally Posted by midnight_sun View Post
    If the drunk or gang member tries to restrict you from walking or you feel the threat is that high then attack without mercy.
    It's a good thing that we can isolate self defense to such a small range of possibilities. Good plan by the way....

    Quote Originally Posted by midnight_sun View Post
    At that point im taking eyes and snapping things
    Sure you are.

    Quote Originally Posted by midnight_sun View Post
    Everyone wants to train in the "Best" Martial Art?
    Nope.

    Quote Originally Posted by midnight_sun View Post
    Define what you want to get out of it and find what suits you...But going around talking $h!t about others schools is very disrespectful.
    Hiding from scrutiny behind the banner of respect is insulting to the consumer and to the genuinely good schools/instructors. It is also used as an excuse by those who would not hold up to the scrutiny to avoid it.

    Quote Originally Posted by midnight_sun View Post
    These are the people who should man up and take a private lesson so you can experience for yourself how a Master will respond when being attacked.
    Right, because someone advertising their skill at teaching people how to defend themselves and charging people good money for it should never have to back up their claims/abilities off their own back? In fact, consumers should incentivise them not to prove their claims publicly by paying them up front to find out if what they teach is any good/for them?
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.