Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/12/2013 11:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Really what is the point of 1 step?
    Real Sparing takes care of everything that is needed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2013 12:12am

Style: Tae Kwon Do, Judo, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In BJJ there is usually still an initial teaching-set and drilling, then rolling (but not always). So even in BJJ there is something beyond just rolling. Not to mention all the practice throws, break falls, and specific agility drills (shrimping, etc.) I think maybe the real question concerns what percentage of sparring/rolling to drilling. And what kind of drilling to use.

I think 1-steps are a holdover from an earlier time. You will get no arguments from me concerning the high probability of efficacy of 1-steps, but I am not sure efficacy is the only measure possible. I think tradition can be a reasonable goal in and of itself.
    Last edited by katahajime; 5/13/2013 12:21am at .

Posted On:
    5/13/2013 1:21am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Excpet with BJJ when you drill your doing it with enough resistance to make sure your doing it right. I am of the 80% rolling 20% other stuff mindset.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/13/2013 5:32am

supporting member
     Style: Escrima n00b

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by midnight_sun View Post
    One steps are actually one, two or three steps. The attacker will use punches and kicks. The videos you watched are for beginners to learn them being the “One-step Sparring” moves aren't in any books and people keep asking for them. Not shown are all the escapes from different grabs as well.

Do "I" agree one steps as true self defense? No I don't. I'm sure the Masters don't either but I can't speak for them. You would be best to contact the AKF. I believe one steps teach movements that aren't always in the Forms. One steps progress in speed and distance from far apart 12 inches to zero with rank as inexperienced people become more comfortable. They teach timing, distancing, and basic movement. In real life will anyone leave a punch hanging? No they won't. Will they keep fixed in a stance? No they won’t. This is why we spar as well.

Maybe you missed above that Kyuki-do is partly Tae Kwon Do based. We spar all the time. As you progress normal TDK points sparring turns into TDK/Judo. It points and submission based.

If you want to knock a Martial Art please take a look at your own. I’m sure you will find flaws unless of course you are a member of the Ameri-Do-Te….then well you’re perfect.
    10 points for Ameri-Do-Te reference!

If you have a browse around the site you'll find that everyone's styles HAVE been rigorously examined, and the flaws have been acknowledged for what they are. A member certainly doesn't have to train in "MMA styles" (like BJJ, JJJ, Muay Thai etc) to have credibility here, as long as they can acknowledge their chosen style's shortcomings for what they are. Plenty of bullies do martial arts like aikido, kendo and even boxing, all of which have obvious gaps in their effectiveness in a real live fight situation.... pure boxing has no ground game for instance... and are highly regarded members here. If, however, a member starts claiming that their style is more than it actually is they'd better be willing to post some proof or the mockery will be swift and without mercy.

It might help your case to post video of the type of sparring you do in kyuki do. The video doesn't necessarily need to have you in it, but if you can give us a taste of a typical sparring session it may well bolster your position and give people a more informed position to judge the style from.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2013 6:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    and each preform speed breaks using 3/4" boards
    Ah speed breaks...those were the days.

EDIT - Didn't realize which forum this was in...actual commentary added below.

Aside from the fact that ATA doesn't (or didn't as of 10 years ago) have take downs, it's amazing how similar the testing video looked, from the judging panel sitting at tables on boards, to the guy standing to give some direction, right down to the lower rank clearly thinking about which little set comes next.

And I just started watching the 'official' training video, and I'm amazed to see that One-Step Sparring Technique #1, with the exception of the high-block chamber and about 3 steps, is exactly the same as ATA's first One-Step for White Belt (or again, as of 10 years ago). 2:25 in the video (it's the best one I could find, I'm not making any commentary on her performance, she's just doing what's asked of her).

From a very casual look at one (and many years in ATA) it looks as if they were both started by individuals heading over to the US around about the same time...it'd be fascinating to know from someone well versed in both if there's a common source condition (either similar TKD training backgrounds or similar direction on how to 'get started' in the US) or if it was the US itself that shaped them both.
    Last edited by Lv1Sierpinski; 5/13/2013 7:00am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2013 6:57am

Style: sambo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Resonance10 View Post
    Yep, just goes to show you can't polish a turd.
    Sorry for the slight derail, but it's entirely possible to polish a turd, and here is conclusive proof.

/derail.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2013 8:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lv1Sierpinski
    You are correct to assume that Kyuki-do is built like TKD. Grand Master Ken Ok Hyung Kim begain Martial Arts training in 1949 and joined the Korean Navy in 1959 and specialized in underwarer demolitions until 1962. He is 6th dan Korean Tae Kwon Do 1970 & 8th dan American Tae Kwon Do 1976 and was a founding member of said American Tae Kwon Do Association 1970 serving as Secretary General. He came over to the USA in 1967 to teach martial arts. He served as chief instructor in Judo and Tae Kwon Do for a subsidiary of the Military Arts Institute of Chicago. In 1968 he went back to school in the USA for physical education and at the same time opened "Kim's black belt academy" which is still open today in Elgin Illinois. 1968 he was also serving on the promotional committee of the U.S Judo Federation. His history is pretty extensive. Grand Master Kim when he speaks of Kyuki-do talks of his time as a child of the Japanese occupation in Korea which affected him greatly. This is why Kyuki-do contains some JuJutsu. People who see it think oh BJJ...but its really the ground work of traditional Judo.

The AKF put out an "Art of Kyuki-Do" Manual that students reference. It is missing LOTS but this is where I have pulled my FACTS regarding Kyuki-do or Grand Master Kim. I listed his more exciting credentials in a previous post along with others we get instruction from.

If you Search youtube for Kyuki-do you will find most of the Kyuki-do Forms videos. These were put out by a group in Utah that are a bit far removed from the Homebase in Elgin, Illinois. They have some mistakes in them and weren't authorized by the AKF but none the less they are almost as the book. Students use them to learn the forms and because of this we can spot whos watching the videos and whos learning in class. :)

Kyuki-dos beginning 12 belts.
    12th kup = Junior White - unearned
    11th kup = Yellow stripe
    10th kup = Yellow belt
    9th kup = Green Stripe
    8th kup = Junior Green Belt
    7th kup = Blue Stripe
    6th kup = Junior Blue belt
    5th kup = Brow stripe
    4th kup = Junior Brown belt
    3th kup = Red Stripe
    2nd kup = Junior Red belt
    1st kup = Black Stripe
    1st dan = Black Belt - now one is ready to learn
    Last edited by midnight_sun; 5/13/2013 9:17am at . Reason: Spelling

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2013 9:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Edit: I will commend the Utah group on the forms videos they produced. Its great they documented some of the black belt forms which are not in any books. I myself have referred to them time to time when trying to remember a sequence. Our classes aren't forms based....so we could go along time without working on them." ~ Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/user/Kyukidoforms
    Last edited by midnight_sun; 5/13/2013 9:50am at .

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/13/2013 10:27am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Edit: I will commend the Utah group on the forms videos they produced. Its great they documented some of the black belt forms which are not in any books. I myself have referred to them time to time when trying to remember a sequence. Our classes aren't forms based....so we could go along time without working on them." ~ Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/user/Kyukidoforms

You have a form called "Love"?

That just makes me think of high school:

Posted On:
    5/13/2013 11:44am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Katje View Post
    10 points for Ameri-Do-Te reference!
    Oh yeah?

Neverican...comet punch...falcon punch.