Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2013 2:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its a family martial art that includes TKD - Judo - Hapkido
    Our Master loves Boxing, Kali, and BJJ so we also train in these.

Takes 3 years or longer of 3x a week to achieve black belt in Kyuki-do. Each student must build a resume that is inspected before being allow to the participate in the blackbelt exam. During the exam all masters grade the students on forms, self-defense, & weapons. The system incorporates weapons- Bokken, Bo, Nunchaku, & Sai.

I can't speak on behalf of the SD group as I've never seen them at any of our Illinois events.
    Last edited by midnight_sun; 5/11/2013 2:59pm at . Reason: Spelling

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2013 3:47pm

Style: HS Cuddling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by midnight_sun View Post
    Its a family martial art that includes TKD - Judo - Hapkido
    Our Master loves Boxing, Kali, and BJJ so we also train in these.
    What is your Master's certification in these styles (tkd/judo/hapkido)? What associations is he affiliated with? Is he a certified instructor in those styles (boxing/kali/bjj)?
    Takes 3 years or longer of 3x a week to achieve black belt in Kyuki-do. Each student must build a resume that is inspected before being allow to the participate in the blackbelt exam. During the exam all masters grade the students on forms, self-defense, & weapons. The system incorporates weapons- Bokken, Bo, Nunchaku, & Sai.

I can't speak on behalf of the SD group as I've never seen them at any of our Illinois events.
    On what authority can you state this fact? Are you an instructor? What is this resume you speak of? An actual paper document? Why would this be required? By all masters grading the students, do you mean masters in the system, school, or..? What rank is a "master"? How do you test "self-defense"?

Posted On:
    5/11/2013 6:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
    How do you test "self-defense"?
    Well gosh, Cuddles, didn't you see the video?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2013 8:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is your Master's certification in these styles (tkd/judo/hapkido)? What associations is he affiliated with? Is he a certified instructor in those styles (boxing/kali/bjj)?
    We train under Master Rick Bjorkquist so to answer his rank beyond 5th dan AKF you must contact him directly.
    **At no time has Master Bjorkquist ever issued me anything other than AKF rank.

Instructors that often come to host seminars are

Grand Master Kim,
    Brief History below:
    Born 1939 Ansong Korea
    1966 5th dan Tang Soo Do, Korean Tang Soo Do Association.
    1970 6th dan Master Black Belt , Korean Tae Kwon Do Association.
    1974 6th dan Master Black Belt Judo, by the Korean Judo Association.
    1975 7th dan ,American Tae Kwon Do Federation.
    1976 8th dan ,American Tae Kwon Do Federation.
    1979 American Kyuki-do Federation was formed.
    1990 7th dan Head Master Judo , Korean Judo Association.
    1992 9th Degree Grand Master Karate, from Grand Master Soon Ho Chang of Philadelphia, PA

Master John Cantin, AKF 6dan kyukido, 3dan jujitsu, 2dan judo, 2dan Hapkido
    Master Holden , ?
    Rick Faye, ?
    Jeff Curran, 3rd Degree Black Belt Gracie Jiu-Jitsu (Pedro Sauer Team)

On what authority can you state this fact?
    I am an AKF student holding a 1st dan certificate in Kyuki-do.

What is this resume you speak of? An actual paper document?
    The resume is a martial arts resume / a binder you keep containing what you have done while with the AKF. I keep all class notes, extra martial arts events I've attended inside and outside the AKF, tournaments with results, parades. etc.

By all masters grading the students, do you mean masters in the system, school
    Each year a gathering of AKF students promoting to black belt and above are judged via the AKF Masters. LIVE. We run through all kicks and punches, forms, weapons, and each preform speed breaks using 3/4" boards.

What rank is a master
    In the AKF 5th dan and above.

How do you test self-defense
    How do i test self defense? I honestly like fighting! Until someone decides to attack me again I stress test what i'm taught in the dojo against force and real attacks. I have zero problem getting thrown, punched, kicked, scratched etc. I rather like it. <Evil grin>

If you are referring to how the AKF Masters judge self defense during testing...one-steps. One steps are predefined movements to an attack.... be it blocks and kicks or blocks, throws, chokes.

** I hope the above responses are adequate. Any further questions about the AKF should be direct to them. If you guys want to run around and fact check all rank, enjoy yourselves. I'll be in a dojo 6 days a week with my kids. :)
    Last edited by midnight_sun; 5/11/2013 8:28pm at . Reason: Quote not showing

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2013 8:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    fusionfitnessmma dot com - is where some of the local Kyuki-do students go when they are not training with the kids. Come out and play.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/12/2013 5:24am

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Hsingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by midnight_sun View Post

If you are referring to how the AKF Masters judge self defense during testing...one-steps. One steps are predefined movements to an attack.... be it blocks and kicks or blocks, throws, chokes.

** I hope the above responses are adequate. Any further questions about the AKF should be direct to them. If you guys want to run around and fact check all rank, enjoy yourselves. I'll be in a dojo 6 days a week with my kids. :)
    When you say 'one step' you are refering to the utter shite in that video aren't you. Here it is again:

^Those prove self defence skills like milk proves sperm.^

No dickface; you claim the rank/s you provide proof

Posted On:
    5/12/2013 9:11am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Resonance10 View Post
    When you say 'one step' you are refering to the utter shite in that video aren't you.
    Even when done by the well-versed, they aren't that impressive:

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/12/2013 2:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Hsingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    Even when done by the well-versed, they aren't that impressive:

Yep, just goes to show you can't polish a turd.

There were what, 30 reponses to someone standing in the same over extended posture.
    Ignoring for the moment the lack of effective offence:
    Out of 30 how many seemed like possible self defence?
    How many were done at anything even approaching real speed?
    How is this 'one step' applicable to SD skill?
    Yes Midnight_Sun, i'm asking you.
    Last edited by Resonance10; 5/12/2013 2:07pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2013 9:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How is this 'one step' applicable to SD skill
    One steps are actually one, two or three steps. The attacker will use punches and kicks. The videos you watched are for beginners to learn them being the “One-step Sparring” moves aren't in any books and people keep asking for them. Not shown are all the escapes from different grabs as well.

Do "I" agree one steps as true self defense? No I don't. I'm sure the Masters don't either but I can't speak for them. You would be best to contact the AKF. I believe one steps teach movements that aren't always in the Forms. One steps progress in speed and distance from far apart 12 inches to zero with rank as inexperienced people become more comfortable. They teach timing, distancing, and basic movement. In real life will anyone leave a punch hanging? No they won't. Will they keep fixed in a stance? No they won’t. This is why we spar as well.

Maybe you missed above that Kyuki-do is partly Tae Kwon Do based. We spar all the time. As you progress normal TDK points sparring turns into TDK/Judo. It points and submission based.

If you want to knock a Martial Art please take a look at your own. I’m sure you will find flaws unless of course you are a member of the Ameri-Do-Te….then well you’re perfect.
    Last edited by midnight_sun; 5/12/2013 10:03pm at . Reason: fixed spelling

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2013 10:59pm

Style: Tae Kwon Do, Judo, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There have been a number of threads about Kyukido on Bullshido over the years. The compliant and stylized aspects of 1-step sparring and drilling rank low on the aliveness scale that most members of Bullshido prioritize.

Don’t take it or the aggressive tone on Bullshido personal. It’s just the culture here. And remember, Bullshido members tend to prioritize the burden of proof in argumentation. Good luck with your training, maybe we will meet at a seminar or tourney sometime.
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast