Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 12 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/16/2013 6:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    End of the middle video, please tell me I'm mistaken, because I swear it looked like he was about to do tameshigiri with a pool noodle.
    Wich would be the most sensible part of the demo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2013 6:45pm

Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    midnight_sun, is this representative of the type of sparring you do?

This appears to be a different rule set, without the constant breaks in action

Posted On:
    5/16/2013 6:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It seems they use two rulesets. The first clip resembles International Taekwondo Federation (ITF) rules and the second seems to follow World Taekwondo Federation (WTF) rules.

ITF:

WTF (Olympic):

Posted On:
    5/16/2013 6:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How do they compare to your typical TDK place?

Posted On:
    5/16/2013 8:07pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Scouted for the US Judo Olympic Team? You have to QUALIFY to even attempt to do that as in WINNING at large regional and national level tournaments.
    You'll note he already gave himself an escape clause: "Others im told have been scouted"

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    5/16/2013 10:49pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by midnight_sun View Post
    1974 6th dan Master Black Belt Judo, by the Korean Judo Association.

1990 7th dan Head Master Judo , Korean Judo Association.
    I beg your pardon, but isn't it called Yudo in Korea?

Posted On:
    5/17/2013 8:40am

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Now, techniques do exist within legitimate bujutsu...
    Do you happen to have any videos of legit Muto-dori/Muto no jutsu? I'd like to see what it looks like in comparison to the **** we usually see.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/17/2013 10:38am

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by midnight_sun View Post
    Jeff knows Traditional Judo / Jujutsu which in my opinion is way more effective in a real battle compared to sport BJJ.
    Did you really type this? Traditional Judo? See, you are now creeping your school into bullshido. It is perfectly fine to create a new art based on your past experiences. It's even fine to push self defense even if it is compliant. When you start passing BS off to your students and creating false history, then you are pushing towards Bullshido.

Its great to know BJJ and is a reason we all train in it but its missing old Martial aspects.
    List the missing Martial Aspects.

I used his results as an example of a Kyuki-do practitioner. Kyuki-do is a blend of alot of different teachings. Jeff Curran comes and hosts seminars at Kyuki-do schools. He even has taken some of it and uses it in his school. So telling me Kyuki-do has crap martial artists isn't going to fly with me. I will defend it. I have 20 years in other martial arts and gladly train in Kyuki-do as it fills holes in my knowledge.
    Weak appeal to authority. 20 years of MA experience only applies when you tell us what it is otherwise, it is an untrustworthy anecdote.

This is my last post as its apparent this board it around to dis others schools so you can feel better about your own. (Insert middle finger here)
    Oh and it is "diss." Don't screw up spelling my people's slang.

Posted On:
    5/17/2013 7:29pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: mma, thai boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, the first time I look at bullshido in a year, and something pops up that I can actually comment on!

I started MA training at a kyukido school around 2002, I believe, and stuck with it for about 4 1/2 years before finally getting fed up with the AKF.

Unfortunately, I think I started right at the beginning of a trend toward full-on mcdojo-ness. During my time, the powers that be added a new belt rank (to get more $ from tests, one would think), put out an official text-book thingy that you were heavily encouraged to buy for around $50, if I recall correctly, and started pushing people through the belt ranks a lot quicker, with the result being that you all of a sudden started to see a bunch of chubby 12-14 year old black belts running around. It was like I could see the quality of martial artist produced decrease before my eyes.

The other thing the AKF does that I find sort of upsetting is to give ranks in arts other than kyukido. For example, I have a black belt in judo from them that I would put at maybe 1/4 the value of the same rank from the usja--gauged by the ass-whooping I took when I competed in a real usja tourney. I think they've also recently started giving out ranks in hapkido and jiu-jitsu. At the risk of sounding cynical, I think the logic at the top is: more arts--> more belt ranks--> more tests--> more $

Posted On:
    5/17/2013 7:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lazymammoth View Post
    The other thing the AKF does that I find sort of upsetting is to give ranks in arts other than kyukido. For example, I have a black belt in judo from them that I would put at maybe 1/4 the value of the same rank from the usja--gauged by the ass-whooping I took when I competed in a real usja tourney. I think they've also recently started giving out ranks in hapkido and jiu-jitsu. At the risk of sounding cynical, I think the logic at the top is: more arts--> more belt ranks--> more tests--> more $
    This claim may merit further investigation. Is your Judo rank registered with anyone else?
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 12 LastLast