Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    2/19/2005 12:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The last TKD instructor I had was this old Korean dude. Thick accent and everything. He used to brag about the time he kicked a guy out of his school for repeatedly calling him "Master" instead of "Grand Master" or "Dojunim". Even at the time, unawakened to bullshido as I was, I just thought, "what an asshole." He thought he was impressing me by telling that story.

Sad. And though I didn't leave at that time, I look back on the stuff like that and remember how much bullshido there still is out there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/19/2005 2:04pm

Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Matt,

Hey, at least on the bright side, he obviously wasn't running a McDojang because something had priority over money and enrollment :P

I've always thought that an intructor that DEMANDS (and I mean demanding it in a loud voice and all that) that you use some sort of title when addressing said person should be a red flag. Not necessarily of bullshido or a McDojo, but just that the person might be a control freak.

At my first TKD school, all the head instructors were called Mr. __ or Ms. __. Some people preferred calling them Master ___, and that was fine too, but it was never required or expected. Respect for an instructor (or anyone else) should come from them and their ability, first and foremost. Not from some title.

Of course, if you're at a TKD school and you call a Korean instructor "Sensei", I think you should expect any sort of beating or berating you receive.
    Last edited by Captain Spaulding; 2/19/2005 2:06pm at .

The Man with No Neck

Posted On:
    2/19/2005 2:10pm

supporting member
     Style: submission wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From now on, I insist, no, DEMAND, that everyone here at Bullshido.com address me as "Major Vargas". If you're into the whole brevity thing, then a simple 'Sir' will suffice.

And that's an order, mister! ;)
    "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
    "Shadow Box"

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    2/19/2005 2:16pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that the martial arts attracts a lot of people with psychological problems, which is why we have so many mental McDojo ego teachers.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Posted On:
    2/19/2005 2:20pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I were you CT I'd simply consider finding a different place to live that would let me keep heavybags. At least get one of the big wavemasters, which requires almost no space other than a few feet around it.

Then I'd write a letter to the school, explaining your grievances and informing them that you're going somewhere else. Maybe this will spur them to get their **** in order.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/19/2005 2:36pm

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow. Really interesting stories!

I've left a few gyms in my time....

1. Tang Soo Do: Simply, an instructor and I had a bit of a falling out. He and I were friends and he introduced me to martial arts. However, after a time he and I had a very petty (on both of our parts) falling out. Its never been repaired, unfortunately. Obviously things became rather uncomfortable and I moved on to other training opportunities.

2. Ninjutsu: Believe it or not, this was NOT a McDojo in any context! This was HARDCORE OLDSKOOL training! The problem was that our instructor was a great fighter, but a lousy instructor. After training there for a little over a year, I had begun to become disillusioned with my training and had started training Muay Thai. My last class in Ninjutsu was after taking Muay Thai for about 2 months. The Ninjutsu instructor invited me to spar in order to "see what I had learned". He proceeded to beat the living **** out of me. I mean, he REALLY BEAT ME BADLY! It was totally an ego-driven thing on his part. I was starting to go somewhere else and learn something that was much more fun to do, but equally (if not more!) effective. I had to have someone drive me home because I was too fucked up to drive my own car. I never returned.

3. Three different boxing gyms: The reason is the same for the first two gyms. The first two coaches took very little interest in teaching, or even MONITORING the workout. They would sit at their desks and read, eat, talk on the phone, etc. They had very little to do with the boxers. I stopped going to the last boxing gym after sparring one day. I punched my sparring partner in the head and hurt my hand.... BADLY! I didn't know how bad at the time, I just knew that something was definately WRONG! I stopped sparring and told my coach that I hurt my hand. He made me keep sparring, and insisted that I keep punching with that hand. He then made me fight an extra round after that, despite my protests. Yeah, I could have simply refused, but I try my best to respect my instructors/coaches. Turns out I had fractured my hand. Classic boxers break. I pretty much stopped going to train there after that.

Posted On:
    2/19/2005 2:36pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargas
    From now on, I insist, no, DEMAND, that everyone here at Bullshido.com address me as "Major Vargas". If you're into the whole brevity thing, then a simple 'Sir' will suffice.

And that's an order, mister! ;)
    *gives sloppy salute*

Yes, Cur! :)

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/19/2005 2:55pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargas
    I've often wondered how many memberships have been suddenly 'terminated' after someone logs on to this website for the first time. I have a feeling that ol' Phrost and Co. are opening a lot of eyes out there to the truth. I can just picture the conversation:

McDojo Instructor: "What, you're leaving to train kickboxing and BJJ? Why?"

Enlightened Student: "Well sir, I was reading this thread on Bullshido.com entitled 'Yer a FAG if yu liek Wang Chung!!!11' and it made me start thinking about things. . ."

That is why my style isn't named. I was told not to look at forums because everyone lies. That I should spend my time training. I had to laugh. I'm sorry, I don't care how good you are, you aren't training 24hrs a day. That is what my instructors tried to imply.

No I couldn't have taken it the wrong way. I got a huge list of all the stuff they practice "everyday". The Irony is they were online answering emails. So, the time it takes me to write a post they take in answering email. That is one of my new red flags. If a teacher says anything about forums and internet I go look and see what is up.

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    2/19/2005 3:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Browning
    *gives sloppy salute*

Yes, Cur! :)
    :stop:
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

The Man with No Neck

Posted On:
    2/19/2005 3:16pm

supporting member
     Style: submission wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, most instructors aren't big fans of the internet, from what I've heard. I think it's a reputation thing, mostly (example: You have a legitimate MA school that gets slandered on the internet. The charges are false, but they are still out there on Google.com, just waiting to taint your reputation. . .)

As for the internet, I would certainly be leery of someone telling me to do something that was, frankly, none of their damn business. My old instructor in Albuquerque didn't care much for internet MA forums, but he didn't tell anyone not to look at them, he figured we were grown men/women, we could decide something like that for ourselves. Sadly, most martial arts instructors seem to be control freaks and really get off on telling people how to run their lives. Even worse, they have people lining up and paying good money to be treated like that.
    "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
    "Shadow Box"
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 ... LastLast