Posted On:
    2/28/2006 2:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Spanish Rapier/Epee/Foil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kipdynamite
    Coyote,
    Control was a Janet Jackson song. Don't appologize for "pimp slappin' " someone ranked higher than you. It happens in contact sports ppl get smacked. Plus how does a person know how they are going to react in a fight if they never get hit?
    :wcacjack
    No ****.
    I walked out on that school never to return.
    Looking at a decent kickboxing school right now.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/28/2006 2:30pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kipdynamite
    It is Fake?
    I know you were kiddin'; I was saying if his instructor actually had a problem with it the instructor should quit be such a bitch about it.
    I know that is why we are having fun. He left his school I left mine. :bully:

It is still funny that two different people have the exact same experience.

Your RBSD Cannot Save You Now.

Posted On:
    2/28/2006 3:18pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Makes you wonder just how many people have quit for the exact same reason...

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/28/2006 4:34pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not enough. :icon_chee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2006 7:43pm

Style: judo, boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Coyote, Is it...
    Since we're sharing I'll tell you my Bullshido experience. I had trained in boxing most of my life via my grandfather and stepfather (both boxing coaches; Navy coach and amateur/pro coach respectively) when I was seventeen I was still hung up on the Bullshido and I was taking a generic form of Kempo here in OK. Well me and a couple of other students were training full contact when I KO'd the schools 'bigshot' black belt. It was a tight left hook that cuaght him square on the TMJ and put him out.
    Well short story longer, everyone, and I mean everyone got pissed, the instructor, the other students. I appologized then I was ushered out and not allowed to retun to the school.
    From then on i was refered to as a bully and asshole, but I really did not mean to knock the guy out. I was a green belt at the time. It was a big friggin' mess. And after the guy went around telling everyone he was going to kick my ass I decide never to appologize.
    In retrospect I should have taken wrestling more seriously and left the bullshido to the bullshido masters, of course back then no one had ever heard of a McDojo. Just thought I'd share.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2006 7:45pm

Style: judo, boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh I forgot to mention the chief instructor got pissed becuase his golden boy was not supposed to be training in full contact WTF?

Your RBSD Cannot Save You Now.

Posted On:
    2/28/2006 10:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You cannot honestly say that these instructors are angry because of the possibility of a law suite.
    Every instructor worth his salt has his students sign a legal waver saying that if they are injured in the course of their training or in competition, the waive all rights to sue the school or instructor.

Posted On:
    2/28/2006 10:53pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackStalyon
    I've never left a school but on a similar note, I went to a BJJ place for about 2 weeks to try it out. I liked it very much and the instuctor was a BB trained by Renzo Gracie. But the problem was they wanted me to sign up for a full 1 year contract, once you sign up thats it, I dont remember how much it was but it was a big lump of money to join, so I left.
    Our school does this, with a six month option for your first signing. It deters anyone who isn't serious about training.

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    3/20/2006 7:47am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very, very good thread.

I feel lucky. I walked into a YMCA many years ago. I really avoided a lot of Mac- and Bullshidojos. I could have easily stepped into one.

Why do teachers and schools not spar? Sure, liability--having read some policies, you have to wonder what you can do--but, frankly, I think it is simple fear.

Fear of being shown you do not know what you are pratting on about. Same with not wanting your "golden boys" asses kicked . . . other students may wonder if what they are learning is crap.

This is why some teachers will not "mix"--tell you you "do not need to" learn how to grapple, or punch, or whatever. They refuse to admit they do not know everything. They refuse to admit they have limitations. They have moved from "student" to "sensei." They then tell you you do not want to "hurt" your opponent as if to give their crap a reason.

As for teachers demanding to be called "master" or "grandmaster" or whathefuck . . . . utter complete ridiculous crap!

--J.D.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2006 9:54am

Style: Intergalactic

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First MA experience - boxing. Great school, great instructor, great people more experienced than I taking the time to help a scrawny 14-year-old find some power (even if only a little bit). Left because my dad, a military man, was transferred.

Kickboxing - pretty good instruction, good workouts, but a lot of thugs at the school and a lot of stuff started going missing from the locker room. I got along with everybody, but enrollment declined and the school went tits up.

Kenpo - really good for a while. I trained with a friend, so we made sure to practice everything in a realistic manner. As we progressed, the quality of instruction declined to a the point that we were correcting some of the instructors, which is never a good sign. The head instructor made the mistake (mistake?) of not caring enough about money, so he was looking to move on from a non-profitable endeavor and quickly promoted some undeserving people to take over. Bullshit.

Shootfighting - By far the most fun I've ever had in MA. Lots of good drills, work on entries (which was a whole new world for me), and hard contact sparring. I really felt much more confident in my overall skillset because of these training sesssions. It was at a YMCA and dirt-cheap . . .go figure. I had to quit because I went away to school.

JJJ - While at school, I tried out JJJ. The school was in the middle of nowhere, so it was that or WTF TKD. The JJJ school was, in this instance, total Bullshido. The instructor would get really mad if you resisted any technique. I got tired of that and found a boxing club in a nearby town - great group of people. The owner even cut me a better deal on dues because I was a student and had to travel to get there.

Kenpo (again) - Good instruction, lousy students to train with, and limited access. Then the offers of hats, t-shirts, upgrading programs, $35 club patches, etc started. My contract finishes up this month, and I'm going to try out a MT/BJJ school. It seems an awful lot like Shootfighting, so I'm really looking forward to it. Plus, it's close by and cheaper and I can do bag work during daylight hours, which is awesome since I mostly work nights.