Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    10/28/2005 6:35pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Warming up can technically include anything that raises the body temperature. Increased body temperature does improve the pliability of the tissues within. However, what's called a passive warm-up, where you use an external method to raise the body temp. such as a sauna, is less effective than a physical warm-up for the most part. This is because it increases the body temp. from the outside in, instead of inside out. It also doesn't deal with moving any joints through gradually increasing ranges of motion. Generally speaking, the order of warm-ups, from least effective to most effective is as follows:

Passive Warm-up ---> General Warm-up (jogging, biking, etc.) ----> Specific Warm-up (targeting exactly the areas to be used).

But any of these is better than nothing at all.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    10/28/2005 6:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's your views on Kurz's approach to stretching, TBM? He's the Stretching Scientifically guru, it sounds good to me especially considering my lower-body flexibility needs a lot of work.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2005 2:22am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe the warm up should match the main session. if you're going for a run, a light jog should be the warm up. If you're lifting weights, do a couple of warmup sets on each exercise. If you're doing judo, do light newaza randori for a few minutes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2006 1:34pm

Style: KRAV MAGA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A 1/4 mile J O G not run followed by stretching works for me, mentally and physically.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2006 10:40pm

Style: Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a stretching related injury and, actually have had it for about a year because i'm too stubborn to go to a doctor for things. I was stretching to achieve the front splits, or just a good range of flexibility in that area. I did this by slowly going to my maximum ROM and trying to pull my legs back in (which didn't happen, its just to engage the muscles, as I learned to do in Pavel's book). After a while, the muscles started to hurt very bad around there so I held off on it for a while. A month or two after, I started it up again and retained my prior level of flexibility. However, before stretching it out, at least once, sometimes twice a day, every day, the area by my (lesser trochanter of femur? by my groin where the femur connects to the pelvis) cracks or pops. Sometimes it hurts, sometimes it almost feels good. Either way, it's not a good thing and i've been off stretching (and working out, pretty much due to illness) for about a month. I was wondering if you could at least tell me what's wrong with me and maybe even tell me how to treat it. As stupid as I am, I never iced it or anything. I'm guessing I just pushed for the splits too fast and payed for it but I don't know why that would necessarily effect my bones.
    Also, my hip flexors pop/have pain once in a while as well, especially after doing the front splits. Sometimes I can prevent this by doing the side splits after but that's another similar problem I have and don't take care of. I'm lucky that I have youth on my side. At least for now.
    So any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Posted On:
    3/20/2006 3:31pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Bushido Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Could you recommend a good shoulder stretching technique, this is the place I injure most often when training with weapons. I have currently pulled a muscle in my right shoulder and cannot lift my arm above shoulder height. I need to rest it for a while and it drives me nuts when I cannot train.

Posted On:
    3/27/2006 10:30am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: just starting jiu-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Excellent thread!! Thanks for the info TBM.

Would anyone have a good routine for stretching the hams and calfs...(Sorry don't know the medical terms)
    I have to do a trunk forward flexion test for my Police application. However my 44 years of age my body doesn't want to co-operate... flexibilty is not my forte as I can barely touch my toes from standing right now!!

Thanks,
    Hawkmoon

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    3/27/2006 12:00pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well, here's what I do:

I bend as low as I can go, then close my eyes, and take several deep breaths, letting my arms and shoulders dangle as dead weight, and when I open them, I'm closer then when I started. As fruity as it sounds, you might consider yoga or pilates if your flexibility seems eroded...
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Posted On:
    3/27/2006 1:48pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: just starting jiu-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    well, here's what I do:

I bend as low as I can go, then close my eyes, and take several deep breaths, letting my arms and shoulders dangle as dead weight, and when I open them, I'm closer then when I started. As fruity as it sounds, you might consider yoga or pilates if your flexibility seems eroded...
    JohnnyCache: Yeah thats basically how I was able to touch my toes at all. However I seem to get stuck when doing that in the seated position that the flexion test calls for. My flexibility was more like non-existant than eroded after 15 years of computer IT work, but it is gradually getting better.
    I was actually looking into the pilates thing as there is a class offered nearby, not sure that the wife would go for me in a class of young, in great shape women tho, can't hurt to try I guess.... :icon_mrgr

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2006 3:29pm

Style: fang shen do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm insanely flexible without trying, I can do full splits with ease, a full back bend, a neck bridge with my nose touching the mat and I can even hold a full lotus position for as long as I want. However I have yet to see the advantage of this flexibility in my sparring/grappling. Do you have any tips on how I can use my abnormal levels of flexibility to my advantage?
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 10111213 ... LastLast